612 Carplay installation | FerrariChat

612 Carplay installation

Discussion in '612/599' started by cam612, Apr 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    #1 cam612, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I'd share a few pictures of the recent installation of my Pioneer Carplay unit.

I've got three sources connected:
    (a) an FM/AM aerial (as the unit as a radio built-in)
    (b) an iPod hidden in the glove compartment (kept permanently in the car).
    (c) an iPod/iPhone lead in the centre armrest which is for a Carplay enabled iPhone.

Functionally, Carplay works well. Navigation, via Apple maps, is adequate, Spotify is supported and you can control the phone and dictate messages using Siri, although the "hey Siri" command to get Siri to respond without pressing any buttons doesn't work that well.

Not that many apps are supported at the moment but I imagine that with the support that many car manufacturers are giving Carplay things will get significantly better in the future.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the installation, but it may need custom parts fabricating to make significantly better. It's not an issue with the unit, rather than with fitting a DIN-2 unit into a 612 that originally was fitted with a DIN-1.

I do like the clean look of the Pioneer unit. The buttons on the left hand side work well and it only has the "Pioneer" branding on the front (and none of the other logos you typically get on these units). And you can specify your own startup graphic (pic 2).

In short, if you live in an Apple world, I recommend it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not sure if your aware or not, but Ferrari just released their radio updates for virtually all models last month:
    Ferrari Genuine Newsletter Infotainment March 2015 - Ferrari GT - en-EN

These are Clarion-based units. I believe the 2-DIN model is available for 612 and CA. The rest get the 1-DIN. For the early generation 612 (pre-BOSE), it might be better to go with the 1-DIN version.

3. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    I am considering a 612 purchase soon and the carplay option is awesome. I'm curious as to how well it works in practice. I wonder if you can get the OEM brackets, etc parts and then use your own DIN2 system? seems like that would be the cleanest and preserve the OEM look. I think that pioneer unit looks great, esp with the startup background. Great work!

4. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    southnc - yes, I saw the new Ferrari units. The installation certainly looks very nice, but I'm not keen on buying another "closed" unit.

5. Dave561

Dave561 Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    China
    Full Name:
    David
    Which model of the pioneer is it?