599 engine does not start | FerrariChat

599 engine does not start

Discussion in '612/599' started by Fritz, Apr 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fritz

Fritz Rookie

Aug 2, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    #1 Fritz, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    politely I ask for help.
    I can`t start the engine of my 599 after not driving for 2 months. Every system works, battery is in good condition, starter works, but engine does not start. I think something is wrong with satelite-system or immobilizer. The small loudspeaker on the picture in front of driver seat under the carpet is always peeping. Is there anybody who knows about this speaker and the components under the left carpet? Are this components from alarm-system or satelit-system?
    Thanks for your help.

Fritz
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I removed the mats of my 599 GTO few weeks ago to have them repainted. What i can tell you is that those wires you are showing on the photo don't belong to the car - this is aftermarket and it obviously needs to be removed.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 4th_gear, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Fritz, I think your problem may be simple - there is a device called a "Fuel Inertia Switch" found in modern Ferraris that is a "... safety switch ... located in the passenger compartment, on the underfloor, in front of the driver’s seat. In the event of a collision, it deactivates the fuel pump relays...".

I believe it is the RED button shown in your photos. Someone or something may have inadvertently pressed and activated the switch which then disabled the fuel delivery system. You need to press the red button to re-enable the fuel delivery system.

I've attached an excerpt from the 599 GTB owner's manual (page 139 of the English language manual) that describes this switch. I am not familiar with the other electronics shown in your photos. I would leave them alone unless you have an expert who can help you with them.

Here is the description of the multi-function display indicator mentioned in the instructions. Good luck!

4. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #4 glob1971, Apr 7, 2015
  5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Not that I should talk (with the current state of my 612) but I think the OP username is appropriate for the issue!

;)

6. Fritz

Fritz Rookie

Aug 2, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    #6 Fritz, Apr 7, 2015
    Thank you for your help.

4th gear, you are right, but I controlled the switch. It is a black one, you can see on the pictures from glob1971.

glob1971 thanks for the pictures. They show me, that the system, which is installed at my 599 is aftermarket. Does your GTO has satelite system? I have this additional device at my key, I would like to know, if it is original Ferrari from factory.

7. Fritz

Fritz Rookie

Aug 2, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    @trygve11
    Sorry, my english is to bad. I did not understand, what you said.

8. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Yes i do have a satellite tracker, but this is not installed under the mats. And correct the switch is black and not red, and even more : this is just next to the seat and not by the shinny metal plate located under the steering wheel.

9. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Is that black component with the numbers on it the Winshield wiper ECU?

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, your red button seems to be forward of the location of the black one (shown in glob1971's photos) which was not shown on your photos.

However, the red button IS a button very similar to the black one for the fuel inertia switch and I wonder what it is for.

I do not believe Ferrari markets a satellite tracking system, at least not in Canada.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He was making a little joke. In the US if something is not working correctly they say it is "on the fritz". So your user name is Fritz and your 599 is "on the fritz". It's a polite joke, take no offense. I hope others get it solved for you.

12. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes, just a light joking around. Best wishes getting things ironed out.

- Jason

13. Fritz

Fritz Rookie

Aug 2, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    #13 Fritz, Apr 9, 2015
  14. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Alright, you got me there! Though I get to have a lot of fun at Halloween time.

;)

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I thought it was more of a summer camp thing?? ;)

16. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes, for the "real" Jason, it was. For me, I can throw the mask on for Halloween and scare the neighborhood kids.

17. Fritz

Fritz Rookie

Aug 2, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I want to say thanks for your help. Especially to glob1971 for the pictures, which helped me to see, what is original and what is aftermarket. I cut the aftermarket things out, connected some wieres and engine ran.

Best regards
    Fritz

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Excellent! No longer on the fritz! :)

19. Fritz

Fritz Rookie

Aug 2, 2013