in the hunt for a 599 | FerrariChat

in the hunt for a 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by SCantera, Apr 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I am just beginning my search for a 599. Right now I am focusing on 08s and 09s for their relative price/value relationship. Seems that 2010s and later prices jump..even without the HGTE package. I am not afraid of miles assuming the car has been well maintained and not abused. I will not pay a big premium for super low miles. I drive my cars and would burn off that premium pretty quickly.

I have been researching the 599 threads to learn more about the mechanical, cosmetic and maintenance issues that I need to know when I inquire about a car I find. So far this is on my "ask about list":

Clutch - at what point is not enough remaining? How much to replace on an F1?
    Tie Rod Ends - seems this is a potential weakpoint. Again...the cost to replace?
    Instrument Panel - is this a prevalent failure issue? At this point I don't think so but have read a few comments about failure
    Dash Shrinkage - a very prevalent problem in Maranellos. Is it the same for 599s?
    Stickies - I guess it's just a matter of when.....
    PCV Mass Airflow sensor - Forza article said this might be an issue. I did not see much posted about this.

Are there any other items or components I should be concerned and asking about? Overall it seems the 599 is a fairly reliable car without many issues.

One of the reasons I like the 08-09 version is that HGTE upgrades can be fitted on 08s and later 599s. I may consider doing the full upgrade that Boardwalk is offering.....assuming it is still there when I find the car I want. It seems that the original HGTE cars are priced higher than I want to spend for a 599.

Oh......seems many 599s are either Rosso Corsa, Nero or Grigio "xxx" exterior. I don't want black or red...maybe Grigio if there is a compelling car. I would prefer a burgundy or blue car but there aren't many choices it seems.

And if I missed the "obvious" 599 Buyers Guide thread my apologies if I need to be pointed to the appropriate thread. I did read the Forza article on buying.

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The clutch in the 599 lasts pretty much forever if you take care of it, seems to me anyway. I have 18k miles and about 65% remaining. I could own this car another 10 years and 50k miles and still not be near a new clutch. Though the throwout bearing is another story, I assume. But don't know for sure.

Tie rods are about $1100 a piece plus installation, I believe.

I hadn't heard the instrument panel issue in 599. 612, yes. But someone else has to answer that one.

Dash shrinkage, check. I got it a little. About $4k to fix properly and permanently. Not even on my radar for the time being.

Comparatively few items in the 599 to go sticky.

Dunno about the MAF.

Ball joints can also be an issue, as can shocks.

I see zero reason to get HGTE. I am in the minority. Suits me just fine.

I have a burgundy 599. She's gorgeous. I "might" sell her soon. Maybe. Thread in the for sale section. But you wouldn't want her. She's a 2007 with challenge wheels and CCB's, but an '07 nonetheless. She does have the rare spare tire option though :rolleyes:

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    On my 07 612, I had to replace 6 of 10 ball joints.

Also, the TMPS had to be replaced - their (permanent) batteries go in about 7 years and its about $180 per tire just for the parts.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

You have the prettiest 599 I have ever seen. I hope you hold on to it!

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks! :) I got a real kick in the nuts in business about a month ago, had me scared ****less for about 48 hours last month. Since then been pounding the pavement and finding that all my large customers NEED me all over creation and I just really needed to get back to grass roots. So I think while the train is still wrecking, while it will take time to get actually come aboard new contracts, the major scare may be over. I've learned some valuable lessons about priming big government contracts though, lemme tell you. But yeah, there's a good chance I may keep her. Just got her back from her annual two days ago.

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks for the collective insight on what to look for. I am looking at cars with miles in the mid teens. Accordingly clutch, ball joints and tie rod ends are to be considered. TPMS sensors are a prevalent issue. I had them deactivated in my SA after replacing more than once.

I appreciate your help while I continue my search.

7. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    TPMS sensors are cheap. A few months ago Terry posted about Amazon carrying replacements at a great price. It's a nice feature to have, especially since you can keep an eye on tire temperatures as well.

I believe suspension wear is directly related to how often the car was driven and the manner as well. A frequently and gently driven car will not have typical suspension wear, so mileage is not everything. I had my car checked out last week and was expecting wear items to surface, absolutely nothing was outside brand new spec.

I was told most owners replace the clutch at around 85% wear. It can be driven beyond that but may start to slip under hard acceleration.

Mass air sensor (again, I was told) usually fails when the engine oil is overfilled as it breathes back into the intake.

My only advice is to PPI the car and test every button, feature and accessory to make sure they're working. I discovered a few months ago that my 6 disc cd changer doesn't power up but haven't had time to mess with it.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I used the aftermarket ones on my 612, perfectly fine. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same part.

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The shop that does my work here in Naples said the same about clutch wear. He said at 80% you want to replace. Beyond that might cause slipping. He said it costs around $5k "all in" for the replacement. More if the flywheel needs resurfacing. One of the cars I am considering has 58% remaining after 14k miles. Seems a little high for the mileage.

As Roupin noted I will get a PPI that is thorough. Any idea if anyone has a good PPI checklist for Ferraris that I could send to the shop that performs it? Also.......would you trust a Ferrari dealer to do a PPI on a car they have for sale?

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi Roupin, I have the same issue with my CD charger. If you ever find out what the issue is let me know!

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have about 20k miles on my car and so far no problems with instrument panel nor dash. To be fair my car doesn't spend too much time baking in the sun. Its usually in covered parking. I think I just found my first sticky issue- the seat controls are beginning to feel just a little sticky- but nothing like whats happened on my 550.

I agree with your 08/09 logic but you can fit some of the HGTE upgrades to the 07s and I think somewhere in the 07s you can fit all of the HGTE upgrades. Terry knows the exact serial number where the cut off lies. My car is an 07 and I fit the suspension upgrades. Im not eligible for the transmission upgrade though. I really love this car. I would just suggest you also budget for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports- they really improve this car. You'll have to use the 315 rear tires - stock is 305- they will fit no problems.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- No, do not get a PPI from the selling dealer. That is like having a fox count your chickens or a shark count your fingers.

The change to Motronic 7.3.2 in the US was at Serial Number 156938.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Terry...........I hear you. I am too often the eternal optimist by thinking that others [including a Ferrari dealer] will do the right thing. Accordingly I will seek out an expert in the area where the car(s) is/are located. Looking at 4 different 599s right now.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Unfortunately you have to assume of any car dealer, Ferrari or otherwise: they will do the bare minimum (and sometimes less) than what the law requires. So it really is caveat emptor. Its worth your while to locate a good independent mechanic who can do a PPI on your target vehicle. It's the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.

15. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Well stated.

You never want a potential conflict of interest. If the dealer believes in the car, they should not be adverse to having a qualified 3rd-party inspection.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Used car dealer is a used car dealer. I think highly of my local fwash buddies but at the end of the day they move metal same as all the rest. Start with a dealer that appears to value their reputation, and yeah, PPI elsewhere.

17. reading

reading Guest

Apr 3, 2011
    HI
    if you can bring cars from Dubai
    you can find 2008 -2009 models very cheap comparing to other countries ..
    this one 2008 is lisred for 80000$ (398000 aed)
    Dubizzle.com Mobile
    Best regards

18. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    You can fit the HGTE on some 07. I did no mine after I bought it. I also had an additional 1 year warranty which paid for itself after the first month, when the car developed and oil leak. Great car. The best Ferrari I have owned so far.