599 GTO Paint | FerrariChat

599 GTO Paint

Discussion in '612/599' started by simsko, Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I had a chance to look over a 599 GTO up close today and was pretty surprised at how "ripply" the paintwork is across the body ie. quarter panels, doors, boot etc. When the light reflects of it, it is far from smooth. (Ripply as in there are peaks and troughs across the surface of the paint.) It's just a standard non metallic, non matte colour. Is it something to do with body panels, paint application or clear coats? Yet the roof had the metallic paint option and it was pretty smooth. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't resprayed.

I compared it side by side to a metallic paint on a f12 and noticed that the f12 was pretty smooth in comparison.

Is this common amongst the non metallic GTOs?

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Almost all modern cars suffer from this phenomenon- its called orange peel. Its from a mediocre paint job. It can be corrected by cutting the clear coat down - in essence cutting the tops of the peaks off and equalizing the clear coat level to the valleys.

I wouldn't read too much into one Ferrari looking a little better or worse than the other because its likely down to whomever prepped the cars.

3. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    special colors are commissioned to Zanasi Ferrari
    they do all the special skunk work colors & work for ferrari before delivery.
    Sky is really the limit with them and their paint jobs are much better than factory ones.
    my 599 has the paint issue u mentioned, but my bi-color gto doesnt, so im guessing zanasi might have something to so with it. The factory's not gonna tell u if they out sourced to zanasi because they are viewed as one. Bare body shells are shipped to them for special paint, then shipped back to the factory.
    i visited zanasi prior to the start of the tailor made program but i wouldn't be surprised if they have a hand in it.

when i was there, i was lucky to see a matt green gto xx made for a famous beverage company owner that was totally awesome, it had all the XX holes in the front fenders let alone extra ones on the hood!
    and of course the fiat group prince's sweet looking jean interiored 599 was there in its show room and he is good friends with mark zanasi by the way the 2 dresses and looks :)

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Based on the GTO's I have seen, yes its fairly common.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've seen cars come from Zansi - some are better than factory, and some worse even. Its just hit or miss.....

6. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    #6 simsko, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I finally get why it's called orange peel. Slow learner:).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    This...

It is what it is. Ferrari paint jobs just leaves a lot to be desired in general, Zanasi or not. Don't remember who it was, but a member took delivery of an F12 in Fuoco (tri-layer), and it needed a complete paint correction. I've yet to see a new Ferrari that did not need some kind of paint correction work after - even Geneva and Frankfurt cars. The paint process was the same for the 599GTB as it was for the 599GTO, as so was the price for optional colours, and it was the same painters - at least from what I've been told.

8. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I know it probably won't be accepted, but the day I'll order a brand new ferrari I will ask to have it delivered unpainted in bare metal.

And then take it to a reputed car painter.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    A serious paint correction done by an expert can make that orange peel disappear and the car will look excellent .