What do you guys think about this 612? | FerrariChat

What do you guys think about this 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Dohangs, Apr 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Looking at a 2009 612 OT0 , bianco avis/ tan, daytona seats with Inserts. Carbon brakes, carbon trim. Panoramic roof, 28,400 miles. The car needs a service, new tires, motor mounts, and there is a transmission leak at the input shaft. Most likely will need a clutch done at the same time. I'm sure it's going to need destickied as well.
    Estimate from a Ferrari dealer is around $16k without the clutch. They are asking $110k. I'm not sure this would be worth buying at that price with all the work it needs done and those miles. If I drive it a year or 2 I'm already ~35k miles. Who's going to want to buy a 612 with close to 35-40k miles? What do you guys think? There are not many OTO's available and probably less in White? Is this worth it?

Im not sure how to post the link, Sorry.

2. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Find another car with less miles and less headaches. Not worth it in my opinion ..

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you were going to keep it I would say it may very well be a good buy. However, since you want to sell it in a year or so, you may as well look for one that doesn't need anything.

(Just copy and paste the link)

4. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Knowing how I am , I will probably not sell it. I have a tendency to keep my Ferraris. I say I'm going to trade them in but cannot get myself to do it. I agree, if I keep it for a while, it may be worth it.

5. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Never mind. Just saw the carfax. It has an accident report on it.

6. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    You would be looking at $16k for repair and maintenance under best case scenario for the issues you described, even assuming for argument sake this was not an accident car.

Keep searching, there are bound to be much better ones out there.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When? And did that owner keep the car and continue to drive it regularly? A blip on the carfax isn't the end of the world.

Neither is service. The nice thing about doing substantial service to a car is you know it was done right and that it's 0 time, great feeling, and you get some of it coming back at resale. I had to do about $9k on my 612 at purchase.

Compare cost of ownership over the time you expect to own it with another target car. Service is a fun experience, to me anyway. We all pay for it, in the purchase price or while we own 'em, or it comes out of our resale value. I'd rather enjoy the process and know I'm driving a freshly up to date car.

8. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    It looks like there was front impact with moderate damage. There is also some discrepancy in the mileage. On 11/19/13 mileage was 27,260 but then on 11/26/13 it read 26,781.. Not sure what to make of that. I would probably be okay with doing the service myself and having it up to date, but I'm not comfortable with the rest. Seems like the more I dig into this car the more problems I find.

9. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Link please, so the car is recorded for posterity.

- go to the website
    - copy the URL
    - come back to this thread
    - post quick reply
    - paste the URL

Done, Son!

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Got to be the gorgeous white OTO with yellow calipers listed well under market.

11. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's a nice looking 612. At the right price and for the right person, I suspect it would be a good deal.

13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I don't think it's worth it because....it has deferred maintenance issues. My experience is that even if you bought a pristine one owner car with full service history and no currently "open" issues, a bunch of issues will crop up. But, I never buy cars with CARFAX accident records. Even though as Bob says it might be fine.

14. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    shame about the issues because its a gorgeous car.

15. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Someone will buy it and love it. But not at $110K

16. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I agree. It's a one of a kind. If it didn't have the accident on the car fax, at the right price it would be a nice pick up. The accident hurts in in my opinion.

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Beautiful 612. Personally, if I were seriously interested in the car, I'd request the actual records for the purported "accident" reported on the car fax. What was a front end damage claim might just be a relatively minor repainted bumper. Conversely. it could have been a major accident with a bent frame and a slew of replaced parts. Just saying that you really can't trust car fax to accurately report the specific damage the vehicle sustained. I also think, in general, that the car fax report is useless as many owners might have repaired a damaged vehicle and due to not making an insurance claim the repairs are never reported to car fax. A PPI should uncover prior work done but I'd be willing to bet that countless cars have work done that are never uncovered with a PPI even when done by an authorized F car dealer. I also think the mileage makes one think the car could have been abused but we all know that isn't necessarily true. Many F cars have been hammered relentlessly on track days and then had their damaged diffusers replaced, the car detailed and some paint touched up before moving to their next owner. Just saying that if you like this 612 then dig deeper into the alleged prior accident. My 2 cents.

18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Gorgeous. But a buy and hold proposition...

19. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Where's the link?

20. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    It's in post #11

21. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Thanks for the link, Dohangs. Beautiful car.

22. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I can't find this car anymore. Did someone here buy it?

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Definitely gone, off manheim as well. Interesting that there doesn't appear to be a single OTO on the market right now, at least not on cars.com or at auction. Hell, only a dozen total on cars.com, all early models.

EDIT: Seems there is actually one OTO. The low price threw me, higher mileage. http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/620750010/overview/

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- That is a lot of OTO for the money, assuming no unseen warts. About the same mileage as my 575M.

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, no kidding, and the one Dohangs was eyeballing, I'm betting it went for under $100k. I know a lot of guys are afraid of stories and miles, but golly gee, sometimes the savings is worth the risk. After all, for us secondary owners, it's all about risk. The difference between us and people spending the same dough to buy a new SL63 or something is that we're willing to take some modicum of risk to drive the most exclusive, beautiful and revered cars in the world. Low production numbers mean greater risk of some one off catastrophic failure every so often, hell even the normal stuff is expensive. So when I see a car with a "story", or deferred maintenance, it doesn't frighten me. Just quantify it, what's it worth to you? Someone probably got this Bianco 612 OTO for under $100k. If I weren't driving a 599 now, I might have bought it, stories, miles and all. Hope to come across her one day or maybe see the new owner posting here soon.