599 Manual | FerrariChat

599 Manual

Discussion in '612/599' started by burmang, Apr 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. burmang

burmang Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Gaurav Burman
    I hear RM are bring another 599 Manual with HGTE to their auction at Villa D'Este.....

2. Throttlesteerer

Oct 20, 2013
    Germany
  3. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I am not sure of the production year, but the early 599 ECU was not compatible with the performance part of the HGTE upgrade. The ECU was upgraded starting at a specific serial number and I think that upgrade started in 2008.

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The ecu is the same between the standard and HGTE package. The tcu of the HGTE was modified to reduce shift times to 85ms from 100ms, neither of which applies to the manual obviously.

5. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    The upgrade also increased throttle response time. Taz knows the detail. Maybe he could chime in.

6. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Here is an explanation copied from a post by Taz. Again, he would be able to explain the implications much better than I could. The car in question appears to have the HGTE exhaust but not the HGTE seats.

"Performance package - NOTE-This kit cannot be installed on cars with manual gearboxes. Cars with VIN 156938 and greater can use this kit or HGTE Exhaust Kit part number 70001493 which is mufflers only.

The installation of the “HGTE Performance” kit, which includes the replacement of the mufflers, exhaust pipes and new software settings, offers the client faster response of the engine controls. This enhances the car’s dynamic qualities which can be best experienced on the track.

In performance driving conditions, the F1 gearbox activation is now more rapid. Indeed, thanks to optimized electronic control, the response time of the gear change command system has been reduced by 20 milliseconds during downshifting. A further enhancement involves engine control, which includes
    accelerator logic with modified mapping that enhances the rapid increase in revolutions along the wide engine use field.

In addition, this kit includes exhaust tailpipes which are further enhanced in the rear ¾ views by the black chroming treatment on the side surface. The styling characteristics of the tailpipes are combined with a modification of the exhaust muffler. The sound produced by the car is more pronounced and exciting, especially for sports use, while maintaining a good level of comfort at cruising speed."

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Roupin- No, the ECUs are not compatible. Early 599s used Motronic 7.1.1, same as the 575M and 612. Around September 2007, at US SN 156938, the 599 (and 612) went to Motronic 7.3.2. When the HGTE package came out in late 2009, it obviously used 7.3.2. On 599s earlier than 156938, the HGTE wheels, springs, rear anti-roll bar, and exhaust can be fitted, but the improved shock ECU and F1 ECU (TCU) cannot be used due to the mismatch in Motronics.

The 599 in the ad has a 153xxx SN and has the wheels and exhaust, and I would assume, suspension pieces, less ECU.

Note that I got this wrong earlier, so may have led some of you down the garden path.

8. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    #8 Roupin, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    News to me. Apologies for the misinformation.

Very interested in the results of this auction. Interestingly, there was a manual car for sale a month after I got my
    599 at nearly the same price. No regrets either way...I love my F1 too much.

9. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    This is very temping at that estimate... We will see on the day!

10. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Maybe Carbon McCoy can answer this question. What model year was serial number 156938?

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Terry, I think on the earlier cars while they cannot get the revised shock ECU, I think there is a reprogram for the in place shock ECU...

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #12 tazandjan, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    No idea on that one. The same shocks were used on the standard 599s and the HGTEs, so entirely possible that Ferrari could reflash the Motronic 7.1.1 shock ECUs with something different. Have not seen anything on that, but that covers a lot of things I have missed.

Of course, the F1 TCU makes no difference on the three pedals.

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You can look it up if you have the rest of the VIN

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I only say it because my dealer upgraded my pre cut off 2007 GTB to HGTE and they told me it involved a refresh of the electromechanical shocks. Of course this is years ago now and I am going from memory... and just checked my files and it just says HGTE kit... FP 70001622...

15. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Greyboxwer:
    Where can I look it up?

16. ferraribooks

ferraribooks Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2002
    I need to buy me a 599 GTB while its still a possibility. Ive loved this car since the day it was released.

Since i'm new to the model, whats the best place to read up on things to loo out for a going prices , colours etc?

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    156938 should have been around late Summer 2007 and likely still a MY 07 or very early MY 08.

18. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Thanks Taz.

19. ebschor

ebschor Karting

Jan 30, 2015
    Just purchased a HGTE handling kit for my 2011 GTB.
    The part number on my receipt is 70001622.

KIT HANDLING HGTE "LITE" (SEE NOTES)

They had to order it from Italy. I should have it before the end of the year.

20. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    May ask I how much such a kit is (ballpark is fine)?

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Just ask your local dealer as different market or try the Eurospares or ferraripart.co.uk websites - probably about four grand

22. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Hi gents, Ferrari of Honolulu (JN exotics) currently has a nice gated 599 for sale...

[​IMG]

Sent from my spaceship via Tapatalk.

23. ebschor

ebschor Karting

Jan 30, 2015
    About USD$10,000 installed.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #24 tazandjan, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There were different kits available, The one above is £3,398.02 without VAT from Maranello Classic Parts. Some kits included wheels, some rear exhaust and these were more expensive. Some included just the suspension hardware and software/ECUs. Here is something on the kits from Boardwalk in Dallas. Plus the two pages from the factory accessories catalog.

599 HGTE Retrofit kit

Handling package - consisting of new more rigid springs and rear anti-roll bar as well as new calibration for the magnetorheological shock absorbers when in the sporty positions of the Manettino (SPORT and RACE positions). The handling features a better response time and a feeling of increased compactness without unduly compromising driving comfort. The car’s ride height has also been reduced and therefore the center of gravity lowered still further, which helps with the reduction of weight shift. The lowering of the center of mass combined with the new setup helps to reduce the squat and dive as well as pitch and roll, with the resulting benefit to the car’s dynamic performance.

This setting reduces the static roll and rolling movements on the tracks as well as pitching. This gives the car faster turn-in and less under-steer effect. The car’s performance has also been improved with new tires which have been specially optimized for this package. They are characterized by a compound that helps to allow even more effective grip for better road holding combined with excellent ease of control.

The front tires are fitted on modular rims with increased rigidity and a larger track. This improves axle performance which facilitates turn-in.

These results are achieved through both mechanical and software changes:
    • Lower suspension (10mm)
    • New magnetorheologically controlled suspension calibration for the Manettino
    SPORT and RACE configurations
    • More rigid suspension springs (front + 16%, rear + 10%)
    • More rigid rear antiroll bars (diameter increased to 24.5 mm)
    • Tires with improved compound
    • Modular rims with reduced weight and special new design

The kit also adds a strong styling component: the 20” modular rims with new design and finishing treatment. The rims have a forged flange to benefit weight. The design of the spokes is highlighted by a diamond surface treatment with a technical matte transparent trim called “Silver Corsa”.

Performance package - NOTE-This kit cannot be installed on cars with manual gearboxes. Cars with VIN 156938 and greater can use this kit or HGTE Exhaust Kit part number 70001493 which is mufflers only.

The installation of the “HGTE Performance” kit, which includes the replacement of the mufflers, exhaust pipes and new software settings, offers the client faster response of the engine controls. This enhances the car’s dynamic qualities which can be best experienced on the track.

In performance driving conditions, the F1 gearbox activation is now more rapid. Indeed, thanks to optimized electronic control, the response time of the gear change command system has been reduced by 20 milliseconds during downshifting. A further enhancement involves engine control, which includes
    accelerator logic with modified mapping that enhances the rapid increase in revolutions along the wide engine use field.

In addition, this kit includes exhaust tailpipes which are further enhanced in the rear ¾ views by the black chroming treatment on the side surface. The styling characteristics of the tailpipes are combined with a modification of the exhaust muffler. The sound produced by the car is more pronounced and exciting, especially for sports use, while maintaining a good level of comfort at cruising speed.

Exhaust - Mufflers only upgrade

Asthetic (exterior only) -
    Together with the other kits, or individually, this kit completes the “customization” of the exterior. It enhances the front area with the use of a grille with a special chromatic treatment where the Prancing Horse has a more definitive appearance due to a special brushed-finish treatment. The Prancing Horse with the same treatment is also available on the rear lid.

Please give us a call regarding the HGTE kits. They can be done individually or as a whole.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This is a 2007 US-spec 599 (whose transmission type is unknown), built between September and November of '07, and yet, it's still a 2007 model year car (ZFFFC60A470156938). The 10th position of a Ferrari VIN tells you its model year. Typically, by September or November - sometimes even by August - Ferrari already manufacturing US-spec cars for the following model year; that wasn't the case here, and, frankly, I'm not sure why.

Thanks to Terry Phillips (for whom this site shows a shameful lack of credit), we now know that 156938 - the very same 599 in question - is the very same, AND FIRST, 599 that can be retrofitted with an HGTE performance kit. Any 599s whose serial numbers are lower than this one are ineligible - unless that car's assembly number is actually higher than the assembly number affixed to 156938 (which is a whole other convoluted story).