599 Quick Question | FerrariChat

599 Quick Question

Discussion in '612/599' started by cuse92, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    A quick question after using the search function for hours without much joy...

I'm currently looking at a couple of 2009-2010 599 GTBs with the idea of having it as a daily driver. I only do around 5,000 miles a year, most of which is runs to the train station and the airport, so based on my extensive FC research it seems like it is a robust enough car to do the DD job in style.

The issue is that my two-car garage is already full with an F355 GTS and a classic 911, so the 599 will need to be parked outside. I've seen a number of owners commenting here that it makes a good DD, but everyone seems to garage them with a trickle charger etc., and I don't see much about dead batteries in airport parking garages etc.

Any thoughts on whether parking it outside (or in an airport parking garage for a week or more at a time without a trickle charger) changes the equation in terms of being a good DD?

Thanks in advance.

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you drive her 30 minutes a week you don't need to worry about the trickle charger.

I don't know how I'd feel about keeping her outside though.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    5 or 10 miles to the station doesn't sound ideal for the car to warm up properly - there is then also the question of its suitability in winter on ice or even snow which might be force it to be left it outside for extended periods - at an airport more than a week might cause issues at a guess

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's a good point. I imagined a decent drive to the airport. If by chance it's 10 minutes from home that could ultimately be bad for the car. If she just goes to the grocery and back, that's not enough to keep your battery. Ferraris to draw.

5. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for the input. The train station is about a 15-minute drive each way, and Heathrow is 85 miles each way (I fly several times a month minimum). We don't normally get snow or ice, at most a light dusting once or twice a winter, but haven't even had that in the last few years. We do have plenty of rain.

I was mostly worried about dead batteries or electrical faults from sitting outside in the rain and/or cold.

Thanks again.

6. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I wouldn't use a 599 for that. Not much point. I would use a 4 year old Panamera or something. I think a Ferrari would be a pain for short trips.

7. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks, you are probably right. I just wanted something special, have wanted a 599 since they launched and they are a bargain at the moment, so am trying to justify it somehow. In the last 18 months or so I've flipped between a 997 911 C4S, Audi RS6 and TTRS as DD and none of them are doing the trick. I guess I need to start negotiating a large garage with the missus...

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I found my GTB sensitive to lack of charge. The 599 GTO which replaced it even more so (she's grumpy as hell if not 100% juiced). If your car is to be left outside for a week in the cold on repeated occasion without a charger, I'd be nervous, especially if you have a tracker security system on it too. Lovely car though, the GTB is superb. Enjoy.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with the others. If its some style you want there are plenty of better suited to the job choices. I think you want a car from a company that tests these cars in a wide variety of conditions and expects you to drive 5-10 miles, sit, drive another 5-10 miles, sit etc. I don't think Ferrari really focuses on that.

10. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks again for all of the helpful responses. Really glad I asked now!

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I drive my 599 to work most days, it is 1.5 miles each way. I have had no problems with the battery, or anything else for that matter. Of course i drive it on trips too.
    yes, I KNOW I should walk to work.
    Malcolm

12. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    #12 glabbe, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    I don't even park my Lexus outside.

14. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I'd put the boxer on top...

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Malcolm, why walk when you can Ferrari! :)

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think you'd be fine, from a charge point of view. However, parking outside in the elements is going to be hard on the car overall-- personally, I wouldn't do it. And, I do keep my 612 on a charger all the time, for whatever that's worth. But I have driven it to the airport and left in the garage there for several days with no issues.

17. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    360modena2003:
    I put the 512 BB on the bottom because I use it most often. I do get a little antsy about a Corvette ZR1 looming over my 512 BB. I would rather a 512 BB crush a corvette ZR1 than a Corvette ZR1 crush a 512 BB. But the lift has locks on it that automatically prevent the lift from lowering.

On another issue: I have left my 599 without driving it for over two weeks. When you go over four weeks you do lose battery power. I have used my trickle charger and it works very well. Although one time I accidentally kicked the plug out of the wall socket and within a day the charger had drained my battery completely dead. Once completely dead the Ferrari trickle charger would not charge the battery. I was able to charge the battery up to a full charge by charging it on a regular charger.

18. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean
    When I don't drive my DD 599 for a while, ie I'm out of town, I just turn the kill switch in the trunk, thus no battery drain worries.

19. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for all of the continued input. I was at a Ferrari dealer on Friday and learned about the kill switch, which would be helpful at airport. I have a trickle charger for at home, so I'm thinking there is a way to make this work. Incidentally, the dealer used a 599 as a daily driver for over a year, parking it outside all day and at the airport for holidays, and had no problems whatsoever (then sold it to someone who promptly crashed it!).

I'm not too precious about leaving it outdoors as long as it isn't going to kill it mechanically or electronically, it isn't an F40 in terms of value, rarity, or perhaps most importantly, build quality. But I am definitely going to look into a lift, thanks for that!