Hypothetical 599 Manual Conversion | FerrariChat

Hypothetical 599 Manual Conversion

Discussion in '612/599' started by fc_11, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    Trying to gauge interest and price if a extremely low mileage (<2k miles) 599, Rubio exterior, came to market having been converted to a manual transmission.

Thanks for all input.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    who did the conversion ?

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Has the car already been converted, or are you thinking of converting it?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like a spend $20K on a conversion, hope to make $100K on sale kind of question.

5. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    can one convert a 599 for only $20k? I have little interest in doing it for financial gain but would love to have a 3-pedal to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    Car has not been converted. Owner is considering it.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Has one EVER been converted?

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just think......if done, in 30 or so years some auction guide book will have the phrase: "Converted in period to true manual configuration".

That'll get the paddles waving.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have parts list for conversion and its like $20-30k.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What would the list of parts be that came out of the F1? And what would they sell for used? Just curious.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How much is the labor?

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not if the auction house gets their information from me.

Is the owner considering the conversion because of the recent auction where a manual 599 paddled for more than half a million dollars?

14. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    It's like converting a 70's sportmatic 911 to manual, can had been done, but it will never carry the value and chassis number of an original!

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Did you get that list from someone who has actually converted a 599, or is it a theoretical list? Sometimes the devil is in the details, and there can be quite a difference once you dig in...

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  16. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How would you ever get the ECU's to harmonize?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Guys it is hypothetical.. but I excluded the bolts. Each part is drawn from the Ricambi catalog. I have it in excel sheet. Not sure what labor would be.. and as far as used parts, there is some parts homology. Its a few key pieces that aren't shared. Some is between 612 components. I'd be happy to email anyone who wants it the list I put together.

Recoding the ECU to get rid of the F1.. THAT I'm not sure of. :) Though as its an auto manual system like the 360 and 430, it can't be that hard to wipe out F1 aspect.

PKIM likes this.
  18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Here's my question. If the owner has a 599, and is willing to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to convert it to a manual transmission...

...does the owner also own an Enzo, and has he considered converting it to a manual?!? The Enzo engine is derived from the 599 engine, so I'm of the belief that if some 599s were equipped with sticks, a manual Enzo conversion is possible. If this guy is gonna do something crazy, he should do something really crazy.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Curt- If your list does not include a pair of Motronic ECUs for manual transmissions, it is incomplete.

Carbon- There are parts to convert a 599, but not to convert an Enzo. An order of magnitude more difficult.

Krisatcruz likes this.
  20. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

What's up Carb, hope you are well.

Keep in mind the Enzo was never engineered with a manual transmission in mind. The fact that the 599 engine is related closely to that of the Enzo is irrelevant.

There would be no plug-and-play fitment of OEM parts for such a project. Your suggestion would amount to building a kit car, which naturally can be done; but the result would be not an Enzo but some kind of monstrosity!! Would you really enjoy the result?

A 599 conversion would be in the cards if money were not an object.

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What if you hot-rodded a manual 599 engine? Can a 599 XX engine be converted to a manual? If so, could you install a manual 599 XX engine into an Enzo?

All is well, Dave, thank you; I hope you're well, too.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    599XX could also be converted, sure. Just bolt on a manual 599 gearbox (unsure if the XX gearbox is a proper race gearbox or a GTB derived one with faster software, and can't be bothered to google it).

I don't think the Enzo gearbox is similar to the 599 one, which will be the biggest hurdle in converting it to manual.

Presumably the biggest reason one would want a 599XX engine into an Enzo is because of the noise...might be easier to get a set of 6-1 manifolds made and fiddle with the software to get close to the 599XX HP. Personally I'd get the gearbox upgraded with superfast II software and hardware for much faster shifts.

twestby likes this.
  23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    In my case, I just want to see an Enzo with three pedals and a stick!

24. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm very surprised by some of the seemingly mean-spirited replies. Is it perhaps the collectors who don't want to see there artificially-priced manual car's value go down because we've all discovered that F1 and MT are actually quite similar and probably interchangeable?

Dedicated track cars, like the 599XX, should keep their F1 systems since their goal is singular - get around the track as fast possible. And we all know that F1 and DCT will almost certainly do that over MT.

However, for enthusiasts in road cars, those systems have little advantage - except for those who are physically challenged in some way. On the road, IMO, there is no better way to be connected to the Ferrari experience than with a MT. And a MT should last forever, if properly maintained. F1 IS expensive to maintain and we don't really know how sustainable it is decades into the future.

What saddens me is that, since MT is a small percentage of the last (sic) generation of Ferraris to have it (F430, 612, and 599), it has now become an issue of "collectability", instead of the experience and maintainability.

25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've asked the same Q about 575 f1.......

i think there is interest. has not been done to either 599 or 575 to my knowledge