I had a 599 stick in February 2015 and here is why I don't now! | FerrariChat

I had a 599 stick in February 2015 and here is why I don't now!

Discussion in '612/599' started by 599isgonenotfair, Apr 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry, but you'll find no sympathy here. You bought the car from the dealer for what you thought was a fair price. One year later, you sold it back to them for $30k more than you paid for it. The dealer then turned around and sold the car for some non-disclosed amount that we can only assume was more than they paid to buy it from you (that's how businesses are sustained, by the way).

Your own common sense should tell you that, if a dealer is willing to buy a car from you and allow you to make a $30K profit on the sale, they are probably anticipating that they can resell it at a profit of at least that amount to themselves. I don't see how you have any reason at all to be whining to us about this transaction.

2. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Karting

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Not sure what the problem is here? You willingly sold the car back for 30K profit.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I sold my Boxer over 10 years ago for a fraction of what it is going for now.

I'm happy to say I do not stay up late nights thinking "if only I had kept that car...". Same for a 328 I used to own.

Do I believe those cars are worth what people are willing to pay today? Hell no! They are not worth anything near those amounts. I bought those cars at FMV, enjoyed them (not so much the boxer), and move on.

If some waif wants to spend 10-times the car's true worth, because of some bizarre coveting nonsense, then let them. Ultimately, they are buying the car for all the wrong reasons. I didn't. :)

4. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    After reading only your side of the story it does seem like you got played by the dealer. Forget the auction; the high price paid would never have been predicted by anyone involved. However, they certainly knew the rarity of your car and the salesman was looking to make a deal. However, again, I must say that I'm disappointed you knew so little about the car. Ask more questions!

5. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    +599

6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    You sold it fair and square it seems to me.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Plus there is nothing in there e-mail at all that says they participated in the auction except as a spectator. No idea where you are reading that into what they wrote.

8. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Would you also sue them for making a profit from your initial purchase as well?

9. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Surely you would have paid your 30k back if auction results had been lower.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    No sympathy either, do your homework next time, your lack of knowledge of the market is no excuse.
    I sold my CGT for $400k last October, could get close to $700k now, no one's fault but mine and mine only......

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    All that and no VIN?!?

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    ZFFFC60AX70153378

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    +599 also, I thought this was going to be about a repair or dealer joy ride gone wrong. If the OP doesn't know that 3 pedal 599s are hot right now shame on him.

14. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #15 Schestc2, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    I was once standing in front of a red 288 GTO, in fact that was when I purchased my 612. Dealer was asking 400K Euro. Had no clue about the value of that car at that time which now is in the millions. Do I regret having not bought it? Maybe a tiny little bit but then again, somebody probably has the time of his life in this car and that's what Ferraris are all about.

Stefan

15. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    RE your website. It was 1/20 when they sold it to you as well. Further when trying to get you to buy the car they would have had every incentive in the world to tell you it was 1/20 to get you to pay as high of a price as possible. Since they did not it shows they were probably also oblivious, at the time, of the rarity of the car.

Finally, I don't think anyone predicted that super high auction price BTW. If you look on this forum as well as other auto forums you will in fact see just how surprised people are...

16. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The dealer offered you $30,000 more than you paid, your eyes lit up at the profit you were making so you sold. Did the dealer force you to sell? I don't think so, the quick $30,000 was what made you sell. Do your homework next time.

17. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Its unprofessional of you to make $30k and then slag off the buyers - the website is petty. The fact you put all this up post the auction and realised the true value, doesn't mean they owe you a profit more than that you took.
    Let it go and move on. Its business, it is the way the world works. Period

18. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    What do you expect from a Ferrari dealer? They don't have the best reputations because they don't care about their customers. You either buy their cars and take the abuse or you don't. Plain and simple. It is the Ferrari tax and the price you pay for owning one. Ask me how I know....I wish it was different but it isn't.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Shame on your dealer for not educating you (back then) that today that car would be worth millions :) ;) You need to start a thread bashing the dealer ;) :)

20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I think you were played a bit by the dealer and I can understand that doesn't feel great so its not "no sympathy" from me but once they called you with their proposal a bit of research would have been sufficient to improve your negotiating position.

Thats where this community really can help.

But , hey, you made a profit on a modern era Ferrari, that puts you ahead of 99% of owners, so my advice would be to move on.

A legal case based on the dealer participation in the auction appears from the evidence you present as possibly a good way to loose that profit.

21. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    His first & last post on F-Chat all in one day.. I had a terrible call last night from someone who knew my bottom line - gnawed my ear off wasting two hours of free time after work just to insult me at the end with a crazy figure.

Lesson Learned..

Don't think I will sue though..

22. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not really wanting pile on at this point, but your argument is silly. Suing is a bad way to invest your $30k profit!

23. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    #24 AndrewJM, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    If they had lowered the car, they likely had service records for it. Why would you buy a Ferrari from a dealer without asking them to provide you the complete service history for review prior to closing the deal?

Also, they likely didn't know any more than you did that the car would receive a substantial upward price adjustment. You should've done your due diligence and performed a bit of research (5 minute internet search) on the car's value/rarity before accepting the dealer's offer. Your own fault dude.

24. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    ^^THIS!!