2011 GTO-Quick Profit....! | FerrariChat

2011 GTO-Quick Profit....!

Discussion in '612/599' started by ROMO, Apr 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    So...the GTO that was for sale two months ago at Marshall Goodman for $550K has re-emerged again BUT this time it has an asking price of $725K!
    Good luck to the seller and too bad some of us (me) didn't buy it at the bargain price of two months ago at $550K.
    A harbinger of things to come with GTO values....?

2011 Ferrari 599 GTO for sale in Richfield, OH

2. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I think you are correct. It wasn't that long ago that 599 GTO and F12 prices were equal. Like so many other Ferraris (365 GT4 BB, 512 BB, and 512 BBi) the ship has sailed or should I say is sailing.

3. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Definitely a sign for the long term. There's been a dramatic spike in the last 6 months, with the last 3 months here in the UK going nuts. We're now seeing many LHD European cars coming in as RHD model go into orbit. At the start of the year my GTO was insured for 350K GBP. I raised that to 450K GBP 2 months ago. And this month raised it again to 650K GBP. And in 2 years I will not be surprised if the car is nudging 850K GBP. I've zero intention to sell (the car is too epic) so the only people licking their lips is my insurance company.

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I saw the car in person at Marshall Goldman and it wash PERFECT. Breathe taking example with great specs.

5. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Beautiful GTO. There will always be a strong demand for our GTO's with only 599 available for the entire World.

Problem is what can you buy at this price point (ie. $700K range) that will provide the thrills, challenge, superlative sound and exclusivity of the 599 GTO ? If you want a "modern F40" (to borrow M's characterization) what's a fair and reasonable replacement for the 599 GTO ? There truly are no modern cars in the $700K range that can touch on the visceral V12 emotion elicited by the GTO. The only modern car that is similarly priced and can provide a great visceral experience is a Carrera GT. But and its a BIG but, you must be willing to drive a gated car and also accept the fact that its a P car and not an F car. You could buy a Daytona in the $700K range, if you want to go vintage, but I'd think most GTO buyers probably aren't looking for a Daytona to hammer around in.

IMHO you would need to go into the hypercar range to replace a 599 GTO and the prices on the 3 new hyper cars are insane. 918's that sold new last year for $1M are trading at $1.5M+, P1's that were $1.3M are trading at $2.2M+. The LaF well lets not even talk about it. If you want to go old school with an F40 your still talking $1.5M+ for a US spec car. Considering the alternatives, the 599 GTO is a relative bargain at $700K. I'd argue that, while not on the actual performance level of the hypercars, the 599 GTO arguably sounds better as its a purer car with no turbos, superchargers or electric motors. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the 599 GTO isn't priced at $1M+ today when some of these other cars have literally doubled in price over the past year or so.

6. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    You forget to mention the F12. At $350,000 it is a bargain for the performance you get. Don't get me wrong I think the 599 will be the 275 GTB of our era, but as far as pure performance the F12 is a great car.

7. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    You must compare the comparable. The GTO is a limited edition car based on a track car, the XX. The result is extreme.
    The F12 is a mass produced 12 cylinder Ferrari.

Here in Europe, you can get a low mileage F12 very reasonably priced and there are many to choose from

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just be careful of overpaying. The economy is doing well, housing prices are up, the stock market is near all time highs. As they say in the pits, sell'em when they're yellin!

However if you can hold for the very long term, you probably can't go wrong.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Values be damned, I'm just a bit heartbroken my perfect GTO came up and my business wasn't up to the task of affording it. Shame on me. I need to work harder.

11. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    IMHO the personality and character of the GTO are not easily duplicated (regardless of the price). I could have bought a 550B and a 575SA about a year ago for the same price as I paid for my GTO. Now the 550B and 575SA have jumped from $225K-$250K to $400K-$500K. I'd still take my GTO over a 550B and a 575SA any day. I'd argue that the 550B and 575SA prices are much more frothy than the GTO prices. I'd respectfully argue that our GTO's are just now starting to appreciate. When a 10 year old US spec GTO with approx. 10K miles on her has an average selling price of $1M (or more) we will be having this same exact conversation. On that note I'm going to take my wailing banshee for a leisurely triple digit jaunt.

12. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig

RHD model sold for £700k last week in UK. Dealer has very low mileage model for sale asking o believe £850k. Supply and demand really - I can't believe it. And to think I once couldn't sell mine for £300k in 2012....

Glad I didn't 😅

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Interesting point I am not sure that this is the same car from Marshall Goodman looks like it,, I called on it and owner was not clear could have been his on consignment at the time??... also new price is now 699K .

14. 930FAN

930FAN Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    FrankD
    EBay has a Canadian Spec GTO listed at 576K US buy it now.
    Looks like a nice 4K car. Anyone take a look at this?

15. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Look at the marshall goldman pictures, they have identical floors in both.

16. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1 It is the same car and I don't believe it was on consignment.

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    now that I look at the vin ..agreed... ..

18. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Interesting.

19. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I believe this Canadian GTO is sold. Canadian spec GTO's clearly sell for less than US spec cars (at least at this time). The RHD GTO's from Great Britain seem to have the biggest premium and are the clear market leaders at this time (I assume its based on the limited amount of RHD GTO's - maybe 60 or so we have heard). I'd be interested in knowing how many GTO's were imported from the factory directly into Canada. In the same vein, it would actually be very interesting for somebody to do a breakdown of the number of GTO's purportedly imported into different Countries. I know that Carbon will have a field day finding that 800 (or whatever GTO's were made haha). That being said, from what we know (in general) the Worldwide production breakdown would be something like this:

Total Worldwide Production - 599
    USA - 125
    GB - 60

20. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    I believe Australia has 10 Units

21. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    What color combo was the Canadian gto that sold? There was a truly horrible looking one for sale last year in Vancouver. White with some red and blue bits and bobs. Bright red interior iirc. Really weird spec. Could it be the same car that just sold for below current asking prices?

22. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    This GTO sold from Vancouver to Ontario last fall and has since sold again into Quebec. It certainly was unique.

Scottsdale Ferrari is also listing a Canadian-spec car, but at an asking price of $725k, they seem to be foregoing the Canadian-spec discount ;)

23. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I know the GTO your referencing and its not that one. The Canadian spec. GTO on Ebay was Rosso Fuoco ext. gray int. etc. I also wonder out loud how many GTO's were imported into Canada directly from the factory. Factory must have statistics on this stuff.

24. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    Canada+USA >165
    GB >70
    D > 70
    Italia ~60
    France ~35

25. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Thank you Thomas. That would mean approx. 40 GTO's ended up in Canada (assuming that approx. 125 went to the US).

A couple of questions:

What does "D" stand for ? Germany ?

Your numerical breakdown is for 400 GTO's. Where did the other 199 GTO's end up ?

What is the source of your numbers (which by the way sound spot on) ?