Thinking of selling my 456 for a 612 - What do i need to know? | FerrariChat

Thinking of selling my 456 for a 612 - What do i need to know?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jason T. DAmore, May 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason T. DAmore

Jason T. DAmore Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
    I'm thinking about selling my 456 and getting a 612.

What do i need to know about the 612 before buying one? What are some of the issues the 612 has? What are the pros and cons?

Also, I'm not really sure what the difference is between the 612 and the 599 besides aesthetics and price?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay

2. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    612 is 4 seats. 599 is 2...

3. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    One is a Ferrari and the other is a Ferrari

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    612 is a wonderful car, and coming from a 456, you will really appreciate it. I would go for either an OTO (mid-2008 and subsequent) due to the much superior transmission, or a manual (all were pre-OTO).

They seem to be pretty reliable-- mine has been excellent (bought new in 2008). You should look for corrosion-- oddly enough, it can be an issue. It seems to have happened from new on a few cars, not necessarily a function of time. Mine had a spot on the door in the first few months.

Good luck!

5. Jason T. DAmore

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
    Thank you Don.

Are there any little issues to look for? Do they have the same window and suspension issues like the 456? Oil leak issues, Interior shrink, etc????

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No window issues to speak of, and I'm not aware of any suspension issues. As with any car, you can have oil leaks, etc-- but my car hasn't done any of that.

They can have some interior shrinkage, which seems to be an issue with all Ferraris, especially in hot climates. Much less warping of interior parts than the 456, though.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what 456 do you have? i may be a buyer

8. Jason T. DAmore

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
  9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    very nice. my mother is looking for a 456mgta, in a color other than black. but thank you anyway and good luck!

10. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Your mom? Wow~

She's Ultra Cool ;)

11. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have both a 456 and a 612. I picked up my 612 to replace the 456, but they are vastly different and I kept both, only because I went from stick to F1, which I found to be different but not a replacement to the gated manual experience.

I grew to love the 612 and it's looks more than ever. I just traded for another as the looks of the FF I will never grow to love.

You will love the 612 too I believe, it's just not an improved 456- It sells to the same market segment, but it's a vastly different car.

As related above, I had 612 passenger door rust too, which I've heard mentioned around here, the motor is bulletproof reliable and yes, the 2008 plus cars have quicker shifting 599 transmissions, but the earlier cars are very good too and quite a lot of car for the money right now. The dashes get destroyed by the sun and you will not escape the sticky interior pieces either- but these are traits all the F cars past have exhibited. I think overall the 612 is the likely direction to go for you.

Enjoy and show us how you decided down the road...

12. Jason T. DAmore

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
    Thank you Moe. I will definitely post pictures if i buy one.

13. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Are there are any other areas of rust that are common, besides the door?

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've only heard of it on the door. When FNA was involved in fixing mine, there was speculation that it was related to their manufacturing process somehow. It's like something dripped on it before they painted it.

I highly doubt that it's corrosion related to water or environmental conditions of some sort once the car was delivered.

Otherwise, it's an alloy body and really should never rust, except in extreme conditions.

15. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    The 612 is much more bulletproof and much higher built quality than the 456...

16. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Just do it!

17. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you have a well sorted 456M, what are you looking to gain going to a 612? I'd start with that. My biggest achilles heel is being dissatisfied with what I have, just because I've had it a while. I don't have that problem, much, with my daily driver Cayenne TTS. But from my experience, all exotics have their little quirks and limitations, weak points, always something that could be a little better. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every one I've owned. But I have yet to meet a perfect sports car that checks all the boxes like the Cayenne checks all as a daily. So what boxes are unchecked with your 456 that would be checked by a 612? Going to cost you twice your 456 to get into an early 612, and three to four times to get into an OTO. You'll be 0-60 .7 seconds faster. You'll have an F1 instead of an automatic which bottom line is a bit of a mixed blessing. You can launch your 456 where you'd want to carefully nudge the clutch on an early 612. Net result, you're probably not getting to 60 any faster in an early 612 unless you want to watch benjamins fly from under the car. What is it you hope to gain going to 612? If just a newer car and new experience, I COMPLETELY get it. That's what I do. But you have a pretty great car now.

18. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    sure there can be issues with clutch life in some early versions but in general every F-1 shift car i have ever driven has been far superior to the auto in the 456.

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I loved my early 612, considered engaging 1st well a challenge and an art, did very well on clutch life. I'd certainly take an early 612 over a GTA, but if I already had a GTA and liked it, I'd have to think about it. Honestly, I'd like to own a GTA for fun some day just to have owned a 456M. They're all fun.

20. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    MoeD, I would be very interested in hearing your experience (compare & contrast) owning both these vehicles: driving dynamics, sense of occasion, etc. Thanks in advance!

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Striking.