599 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '612/599' started by MASR04, May 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    At the moment, I am in the market for a grey market 599 given the correct price. Sounds weird, but last time I asked the community for help - it worked.

For the price of a well sorted 575; I'd much rather go after a 599 with a small to mid-size blemish on the report. The technology and ease of maintenance (belts) is the allure.

Thanks in advance!

2. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry, what exactly is the question? Confirm your logic or help finding the car? Or could be I need a second cup of coffee.

3. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If anyone has one that they're willing to let go of - please let me know.

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
  5. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thank you. I am familiar with that vehicle. It does have a blemish on the car fax and they're not willing to let go at an accurate price.

My purchase ability will increase each month as I pile away more cash - putting feelers out at the moment.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When you say you want a "grey market 599", do you mean you want a non-US spec car to import into the US?

7. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    I drove that car a few days ago as I was in Scottsdale on business and the list of "imperfections" is long. Literally the tweeter speaker on the passenger side A pillar was practically dangling. There were several body panels painted per my cursory inspection, looked like it had been smoked in (or at least was really dirty inside), the trunk and engine bay seams where the felt attached looked like they had been put back together by a blind man, the windshield wipers were broken, etc etc. I wanted to like the car as it drove ok, but lord only knows what else you will encounter with it when you peel back the onion. It's a walking money pit waiting to happen. I wouldn't touch the car unless I owned a body shop that could fix all the little things. Even then it would still never compare to a car that had never been hit, but I guess it all comes down to price and someone's level of comfort of risk/reward for buying cheap. I will add that my cousin has mannheim access and they have a wholesale buy it now of $120k OBO. That should tell you something. Don't know if they bought the wreck and fixed it or what, as it didn't show as having previously gone through auction. The funny thing as this was a 4.9/5.0 car as listed by Mannheim, but there was no effing way after seeing it in person. Just leaving feedback for anyone else in the community considering it.

8. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I may have this wrong. But I am under the impression grey mkt is something that may have a blemish on the report. Example: Minor front Impact

9. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I can't thank you enough! I like the color combo and all, but that report is exactly what I needed to calm down and regain some composure in this process of the next and final purchase. I don't ever want to have to sell again.

10. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    That's my understanding of grey market as well. Non US Spec that has to be federalized

11. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Grey market means the car is an non-US spec imported into the country.

A blemish on the report is what most would call a "storied" car.

As you see from Soldier's post above, any car at the bottom of the price range will have stuff to deal with. It's always infinitely better to save up and get into something in good condition...and even those cars will have an issue or two anyway.

Personally, I'd take higher mileage over blemished history.

12. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am learning! Thank you fella's for your time and education. Here is my story:

Got bit with the Italian bug over Memorial Day weekend 2012. 8 mos. later I purchased a 2004 Maserati Coupe GT. Clutch went out in less than 2000 miles. Sold it for the same price of purchase (full disclosure - owner knew).

Then purchased my first Ferrari. 1986 328 GTS, sold it and then partnered with Dad for the 550. His arthritis flared up and we sold the 550 to go after 599. I've been blessed to increase my equity a long the way, make a little and put those funds towards the purchase of a different model.

I am also at a different level and in unfamiliar territory purchasing a used car for over $100k - all the advice is well welcomed.

I do believe this will be the last purchase until the f12 reaches $160 to $180 (if it ever does) which will take at least 10-12 years. But also, by then, I most likely will be married with other priorities. Therefore, no guarantee I will even be in a position to trade up.

Thank you for the advice. Higher mileage is under 40k and really - that's nothing.. I've always thought higher mileage means the car didn't present a lot of problems and the owner enjoyed using it.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Grey market = euro car . From 430 and newer , there are very very few euros floating around. Only seen one euro 599 and commanded a premium because it was a manual .

You may get a attractive price on Canadian car especially with exchange rate.

Remember , there are no cheap Ferraris.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ah ha, I suspected you didn't mean a real grey market car.

No problem with looking at some cars with a "blemish" or two, but the one KY soldier described is not one you want to deal with unless you have the expertise and patience of "Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday!" F chatter trygve11.

The only thing I would caution you on is don't put every last $ into buying the car, save some for maintenance.

15. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well said. Yes, I do not possess the knowledge or patience of that gentleman.

16. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
  17. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What's your report?

Those guys told me they do not negotiate. The price is final. Have a nice day.

18. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Assuming well maintained, I agree with this. Depreciation for having been driven is much different than depreciation for neglect or damage. Wishing you good luck.

19. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    If you can deal with the styling, why not bypass the 599 and go with an FF. Four seats = future proof and they are about at $200k now. Won't be long before they see $180k. I do love the styling of the 612 over the FF though. The 612 is timeless whereas the FF is polarizing but insanely awesome.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't see how the FF is future proof. I found the FF to be the opposite of insanely awesome.

21. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The FF doesn't do it for me at all. I'm not in a position (yet) to purchase a solid example of a 599 @ $150 let alone spending another $30...

But the white one for sale is gorgeous and the power along with the updated technology is impressive.

Honestly, the first time I sat in the seats of the 599 I smiled - it was as if it were involuntary. That car is for me.

22. brettbw

brettbw Rookie

May 15, 2015
  23. brettbw

brettbw Rookie

May 15, 2015
  24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    It looked like a good car . It was getting dark when we went and my brother didn't like the colour in person so I didn't give a through look over as I originally intended.

25. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The photo's make it look horrible. Most likely the carbon fiber not reacting well to the flash - but they should know better. They also do not negotiate; not anyone I would want to deal with. Attitude is a lot when selling a car. I want the seller to be even more genuine than the car.