612 Engine Control System Failure | FerrariChat

612 Engine Control System Failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by Proxbox, May 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Proxbox

Proxbox Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Hello,

I have read previous threads but my issue is different. My 2005 612 Scagiletti had a warning sound turn on with the LCD panel reading "Engine Control System Failure". This was not a cold start issue. I was driving normally on the highway at a sustained 85 mph. When I accelerated to 90-92mph (sustained about a minute) the warning came on with a series of beeps that sounded like Morse Code. I decelerated, and the warning display and sound stopped. I continued at around 80 mph in the left lane. I then sped up to over 90mph (sustained about 30 seconds), and then the warning beeps and LCD text of "Engine Control System Failure" happened again. Bring her down to 80mph and it goes off.

The same thing happened last year, too. But I thought this was mutually exclusive until now. Last year, same scenario as above, but the next week or so I believe there was a cold start problem where the engine light came on with the text Go To Dealer was on LCD panel. I never had her above 90 mph to see if anything else would occur.

So the car was reset last month from a presumed cold start problem with cylinder #5 (perhaps that obscured the real problem?). They were not able to get the same "Engine Control System Failure" to go on. Maybe they didn't get above 90mph for a sustained amount of time (more than a minute)???

Finally, I wanted to draw attention to above sustained mph over 90, because I had the car out a few days prior and touched 103mph (quickly) a few times and nothing happened.

Thanks for any insight or help.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Take it to your dealer or a competent independent. You need to have the codes read.