612 tie rods- is any place at all mean bad? And how many miles do they last? | FerrariChat

612 tie rods- is any place at all mean bad? And how many miles do they last?

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, May 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    My car has 27K miles. I have slight play in the front tie-rods and in the rears. One of the rear ones isn't just the end but has play at the plate connect so I will need the whole assembly.

How long to the tie rods usually last on these cars?

Thanks,

- Jason

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    For the most part, you only have to replace the ball joints; not the whole tie rods, per Ferrari. Hill Engineering makes excellent replacement ball joints and they are readily available for a reasonable tariff.

On my 07 612 with <25K miles, I needed 6 ball joints replaced (2 front / 4 rear). From what I understand, there are 10 of those in the 612. All were lower joints, which I guess get majority of the abuse. I was also told the front ball joints were in worse shape than the rears that were replaced.

Hope this helps.

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Both my 612 and 599 needed some of them replaced at around 16k miles.

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Piper, were your ball joints fine though? Just needed the tie rod ends?

Thanks.

5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
  6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm really left to wonder. I didn't know enough at the time to ask. Both cars had them bad on delivery and va inspection and both dealers ponied up for new oem tie rods through ferrari of Washington.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I thoroughly went through my suspension this morning. It looks like I also need upper and lower front ball joints. Wishbone bushings seem fine and rear ball joints are good. Amazing how quickly the tie-rods and ball joints wear out on these cars.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    my 2010 with 15000 miles just had the front upper and lower ball joints replaced at the time of the belt service

I was told they were getting "a little loose" and I could put it off if I wanted to, but I figured its in the shop and so I might as well just get it done rather than wait a year - seems pretty premature but it is a known issue

9. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I had all front ball joints replaced on my 612. A tie rod was also replaced at a later date.

I was told that the ball joints normally last about 3 years depending on road conditions. They are designed for race tracks which means that they are more exposed to the elements. Salty, gritty winter roads will do the worse damage, by getting under the rubber seal and corroding the joints.

Ferrari will only sell the entire assembly rather than just the ball joint, so definitely worth searching around for someone who sells only the ball joint. I've also heard that Hill Engineering make good replacement parts.

10. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    You would be lucky to get three years out of a well-used car equipped with original joints. They are junk. Far better off with the hill engineering items...

11. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Not actually true. Ferrari sells the individual joints and tie rods. Perhaps the dealers lie as they likely don't want to press them in and out.

12. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    no idea what are tie rods, but i own my 599 and 612s since new and my 08' OTO has more than a high of 15k miles ;) , should i be worried?? i never heard of this problem and delaer never mentioned it to me when i go in.

and whoever said they will fail in a couple years because they are designed for a race car??!! a 612 and a 599???!!
    Imagine this part which i dont know on my BMW failing in 3 years?? Class action for sure.

13. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Failure would have little to do with age and more with environment plus steering & suspension cycles.

14. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Ok, three years of constant use. Either way, they are known wear item in every model they are used on. The thin rubber boots split, they get damp inside and the spherical joint corrodes then gets play in it.

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #15 2NA, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've replaced them at 9000 miles on a Scud with the Hill Engineering product. There was no evidence that the original joints had ever been lubricated by the factory. This could be the problem.

Boots were intact and there was no evidence of corrosion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They are just not an appropriate part for a street car. Excellent part for a race car but cannot be expected to last a long time. I don't know what so called engineer in Maranello dreamed this one up but he must have been fresh out of school. Anyone with any experience would have known better. Some cars are going longer on motor oil than Ferrari can get on a set of ball joints. I sure hope they are proud.

Kleenex part, use it once and throw it away.

17. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    wow! and I gave a scud with 15k miles :(

18. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Maybe he had shares in a company producing spherical joints? ;)

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Knowing Ferrari and many of the suppliers they choose I expect it to be family really.

But in this case they are American parts so who knows?

Nothing wrong with the parts. As you know it is simply a misapplication. Somebody at NMB is laughing all the way to the bank.

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I had to do the ball joints on the front of my 599, I was told by a ferrari dealer that ferrari only sold them as part of a complete assembly including, upper control arm?? Anyway, was going to be $3k a corner. It wasn't my dime yet, seller was fixing the car to pass inspection, but when they couldn't come up with OEM suggested the Hill ball joints for $800 a corner.

21. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I've been talking with Hill Engineering directly and it appears their rear inner tie rods are the right fit for the 612 with the long outer tie rods attached (the longer tie rods are what are used on the Scag rear to begin with). Hill didn't realize they would fit right but I have confirmed they are right so I plan to order the Hill parts.

22. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    My 612 has the original rods at 27k miles somehow...

23. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Get ready then!

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #24 Piper, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Not all states require inspectors check play at inspection. Might want to check, asap. Might not be safe at this point.