612 Trunk Straps | FerrariChat

612 Trunk Straps

Discussion in '612/599' started by cvy612hgtc, May 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cvy612hgtc

cvy612hgtc Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    HONG KONG
    #1 cvy612hgtc, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I live in a very humid climate which has caused all the straps in the trunk that hold the car jack, tool kit and spare tire to mold and break. The metal buckles are rusty, some so rusty they have essential disintegrated. The worst part is that this fake leather (why Ferrari didn't use REAL leather, I don't know!) that has gotten moldy smells bad. As a result, I have had to throw away the removable straps and throw away the car jack (so rusty it would be dangerous to use) and the bag that holds it (yes it was that bad). The tool kit I have rescued in a way but the "leather" is all cracked inside and it smells too. I have cleaned the trunk as best I could but the smell of the straps can't be fixed. They need to be tossed.

What I plan to do is just to remove all the straps all together and not use the spare wheel to get rid of this foul smelling "leather". More luggage space too! Getting new straps from the dealer doesn't make sense to me because they are poor quality and will just break again.

So my question is, has anyone removed the straps before because they are riveted to the bottom of the trunk? I've searched around and drilling the rivets out is what most suggest, but my concern is not so much about getting the head out, but what if the head comes out and the shaft doesn't? I have seen some previous threads on this but need some additional input. Yes, I can hammer the shaft out but then it goes down below the trunk. What's down there? Can I access it? Last thing I want are loose rivet shafts bouncing around in some inaccessible part of the car. Obviously, I'm not an expert on the structure of the rear end.

One other idea is to keep the spare tire and order the plates and rivets and maybe get a leather expert to make some real leather straps. Though after removing the rivets, I'm not sure if the factory ones would fit anymore since the holes might have gotten bigger after removing them? I would just replace the plates and rivets meant for the straps holding the car jack just to cover the holes.

Looking to replace the cover above the spare tire too. Anybody try replacing it with a non-factory cover? As the factory one I have has started cracking. Feels like some sort of cardboard? The plastic strap attached to the screw that allows you to pull it out has broken off too. Perhaps someone has found a better quality cover versus the factory one.

Here are some photos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've never seen a 612 with a spare tire!

I have to agree about the quality of that cover piece, though. I've been tempted to just take it out. In my car, if you put a heavy bag on it, it will sometimes just sag or collapse altogether.

I'm also not a big fan of the "technical fabric" that they used to cover it. If I had known about it, I would have ordered the trunk done in leather like some of the other ones I've seen.