Why is the 2008 599 a better choice than the 2007 | FerrariChat

Why is the 2008 599 a better choice than the 2007

Discussion in '612/599' started by tifosi_, May 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I read on a thread previously, though I don't remember which one, that if one is going to get a 599 its better to get a 2008 or newer, than a 2007 model. Other than the newer year, I am wondering if anyone can shed light as to what is better about the 2008 model than the 2007? Did Ferrari make some changes to the 2008 model that improved the car where it makes a significant difference in the performance or reliability of the 599?

Clyde

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I'd rather have a 2007. With the 2008,the msrp went up $39k,and some options like carbon brakes became standard. From everything that I have read on this forum,nothing was improved/fixed.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the 2007s didn't have the HGTC stuff - pretty sure that's the difference - they drive like boats

4. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    you can retrofit the HGTE package on the 599 regardless of the production year. Depending on your chassis number (which of course is somehow related to the production year), you can install the full HGTE package, i.e. including the ECU upgrade (faster gear change 85ms instead of 100ms in superfast mode) or not. All the rest is the same.

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not precisely. Early MY '07's motronics do not support the upgrade to HGTE. Terry's previously posted the exact SN when they upgraded to the new motronics, if you search this forum.

6. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi Piper, this is what I am saying, depending on your chassis number (I believe higher than 156938) you can include the ECU upgrade or not. The remaining of the package, i.e. suspension, cosmetic, exhaust, etc. can be fitted on all 2007 models.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ahh gotcha

8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    HGTE was a $30k option that became available in 2009.

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Std car drives/ OK but HGTE is better IMHO. 2008 cars had a lean burn map which allegedly improved economy by as much as 15%, as I said before I can't say I've noticed :) as others have said 2008 cars got CCMs as std and in the UK/ Europe a 4 year warranty

10. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    REALLY?? Road & Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Evo, Autocar, Top Gear, etc. certainly didn't think so. Was the HGTE package an improvement to an outstanding car? Of course. But how a subsequent improvement somehow makes the exalted original a lowly boat is a mystery. If the original car was good enough to impress Michael Schumacher and literally every car magazine's professional drivers, it's certainly worthy of my respect.

The OP was looking for unbiased advice on buying his first 599. I'd hate to think he passed on a nice car because of a gross misrepresentation here.

11. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Mine is 2006 without HGTE - haven't noticed that "boat feeling" at all ))) Runs and handles like beast.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no way - the old 07 did not handle well at all - not compared to a 612 OTO at least

no gross anything aside from my experience with the car

13. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I thought we're talking about 599 GTB ))

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have 10 ferraris. I don't know how many people on this board are teenagers or if they even have a ferrari. I read the OP. my response is the 07s didn't handle like the later cars and in my opinion they als handled poorly compared to my 612 OTO. if u do not like this answer that's fine but it's based on real life seat of the pants experience.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Unbiased? u refer to car magazines as gospel? how old are you? do u have a drivers license?

I see from your profile why u don't like my biased opinion - because u have a 599 gtb...makes sense

16. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    All years of the GTB had the same suspension. So you just discounted all non-HGTE GTB's.

Maybe the car you drove was a fluke. Or had hard miles behind it.

Attacking the experience of all owners who don't agree with you doesn't add credibility to your argument either.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ok so there's no difference between a non hgte and one with the package? that's what ur saying? and ur questioning my credibility? now that's laughable

18. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Read it carefully:

1- I said there is no difference among all the non-HGTE cars, regardless of year.

2- I didn't question your credibility, just your approach to the discussion.

You own some great cars. It's a pleasure to read your posts. That's why I threw in that maybe the particular GTB you drove had a hard life behind it.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    to the OP - buy the 07, its a great model year.
    whatever u do tho, don't drive an HGTE or a 612 OTO with the HGTC package.

20. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you found my comments disrespectful or somehow an affront to your knowledge or experience, I apologize. You are entitled to your opinion and I have no doubt the 599 you drove handled poorly. However, I felt your comment painted the fleet with a pretty broad brush and offered a dissenting view. As an owner, I think that's my prerogative. I never said the HGTE package didn't improve the car.

I always try to be respectful in expressing my opinions whether in person or on a blog and if treated the same, don't feel personally attacked if someone disagrees with me.

For the record, I do have a drivers license, I'm not a teenager and humbly respect the opinions and impressions of professional race car drivers.

21. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    haha, thats funny...despite having 10 Ferraris in the garage, it's a bit daft to describe any 599 as driving like a boat, by any comparison. I have an early 612 and a 599 GTO - the 612 might not be quite as quick as the GTO, but no marine metaphors spring to mind when I think about the driving and handling characteristics of that car; neither from my experience do earlier 599s. It is great to hear different opinions, and certainly the handling pack was an improvement, but 'boat' is over egging it. Just a point of view, of course...

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No kidding. I used to take my 612 on very spirited drives with other exotics and had no trouble at all taking the same lines at the same speeds, easily.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok - daft - interesting.

how about this - if I owned a 599 non hgte it wld be the worst handling Ferrari I own....is that an unfair statement? yes even my 456M feels better than the 599 not hgte

24. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    gets even funnier...guess you are sticking to the boat descriptor then

Each to their own, but maybe with respect the op it could be helpful if could expand on how you have reached this conclusion

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what language wld u like me to use? I drove an 07 and wasn't impressed. felt sloppy at lower speeds and just ok and higher speeds. I drove my FF before the 599 and then my e36 m3 afterward followed by my 612 OTO. the most vivid memory I have was thinking how much more dialed in my 612 felt compared to the 599. wld u like me to sit here and say it was the best handling car of the day? I simply can't. I'm not saying the 599 isn't worth getting - I'm responding to the OP with the opinion of id get the HGTE if I bought a 599.

mark described it as ok - I agree with him. to me ok for a ferrari is the same as drives like a boat