Engine 599 cover bended :-( | FerrariChat

Engine 599 cover bended :-(

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, May 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #1 glob1971, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I had something very similar on my GTO, though nothing as dramatic as yours. Personally I think it's a design fault, and is generated from the tremendous heat from the otherwise fabulous engine. The plastic can't cope. Someone on this forum previously suggested I shoud have gone for the carbon fibre made option. My dealer tried to rectify some of the distortion, they were partly successful. Frankly couldn't be bothered to make a fuss because you need to look to see the "dents". But your example is much worse. Interested to know where you net out. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I seem to recall that someone else posted a thread here on this topic. Try doing some searches and you may find it, or maybe someone will remember it.

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I also had a small dent in the engine cowling of my 612; probably after some mechanic inadvertently leaned on it well before I purchased it.

I was told to leave it alone or replace it.

5. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #5 glob1971, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Two hours of work but found the trick, fixed :)

See photos

Thanks to Camlet1, yes this is coming from the heat - my engine cover was exposed to the sun for some time. So took the air dryer of my wife, and was fixing it :) Very simple but little bit of work, all dents disappeared.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Excellent detective work/answer, one to remember! For future reference, was it easy to remove and re-install the cover? Thanks.

7. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Relatively easy to remove and re-install, only 6 screws to fix it. Still some small dents visible, will have to do some more work to have it perfect.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are you going to leave it off now? As surely it will distort again. Maybe you could leave it off until you decide to sell the car??
    Pete

9. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Of course I am not planning to leave it off, it will not distort unless I remove the cover and expose it to the sun - as I did. And I am not planning to sell my GTO ever... So will put it back, and it will look like new :)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh, I thought we had concluded that it was under bonnet heat that distorted it. My bad.
    Pete

11. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Back on place, dents removed :)

[​IMG]