599GTO vs Murci SV | FerrariChat

599GTO vs Murci SV

Discussion in '612/599' started by Chztx, May 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chztx

Chztx Rookie

Oct 14, 2014
    #1 Chztx, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    I am in the process of purchasing a low mileage 2011 599GTO. Have the choice of trading in my 2010 black Murcielago SV or getting a loan, and keeping both. Being debt averse, I'm inclined to trade or sell the SV, but it's an amazing and rare car as well. Would appreciate your collective wisdom on this one. Do you expect the SV to appreciate along with the 599? thanks-

2. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    #2 simsko, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    The SV will maintain it's value pretty well over the long term. Can't see it going up significantly. IMO the frothy fever prices of ferraris have gone up on the tail end of the classics. Ferrari have a lot of race pedigree, limited number bodies etc that make things rare and desirable. Not sure if Lambo have the same that will prop up the market of all the models.

3. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i wouldnt, unless u like easy to drive cars.

SV certainly more rare, and i think more exciting(difficult) to drive.
    from lambocars.com:
    Murciélago LP670-4 Super Veloce 186 Limited edition of 350 units, but rumor has it only 186 were built
    Murciélago LP670-4 SV China Edition 10 Limited edition of 10 units sold in China only

if i were u, i get both, i just know it was a sad day when this was sold :
    GT vs. SV - Rennlist Discussion Forums

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Both together would be a great combination, as I think they would complement each other.

Diabo prices are on the uptick, with the market seeming to favor the rarer models. Murcielago may follow in the future?

I would keep both.

5. Chztx

Chztx Rookie

Oct 14, 2014
    Thanks, very much. Amazing cars- appreciate the feedback

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Difficult decision. I would keep the SV.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    GTO will be worth more even though there is no real reason for it to be.

Look at Countach prices and rare Diablo prices, then look at GTO prices. GTO prices are already probably higher than the majority of Lamborghinis ever made. That should tell you something.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What are the terms of the loan? If you can prepay with no penalty, maybe you take the loan, have both, and go from there. The "brain damage" from setting up the loan and paying it off, should you decide, is probably less than the trouble you'd go through reacquiring your (or similar) Lamborghini.

9. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Auto loans don't have prepay penalties as far as I know.

10. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Not sure where in the world you are but anywhere in the west the near zero interest rates make loans a no brainer as long as you can cover payments with ease.

11. Chztx

Chztx Rookie

Oct 14, 2014
    Yes, the loan is very low interest, and I can afford the payments. No penalty for early payment. I guess the bigger issue is that if these cars are in a bubble that's about to pop, then no one wants to be in a situation where they are upside down. So the real question I suppose is "are these cars in a bubble?"

The 599 GTO has gone up so much in the last six months it's a little bit scary!

12. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    The GTOs ARE in a bubble, if that is your question. However, specially if you are in the US, the rarity of the car and the NAME has ALREADY made it a collectible item.

You should have bought it a year ago and you'd have already made a 30% profit at least.
    BUT the increase has started since some months ago only. I'd say December 2014 was the starting point.

So it's only 5 months in right now. You can still gain. PLUS, as already said, they are LIMITED EDITIONs, so they will ONLY appreciate, if low mile and well kept.

Have no doubt on this. SO, if u are buying it as an investment, go for it. Cause, in the LONG run, these cars are going to the million. Maybe a decade, but they are.

13. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I can't comment on whether the Murci SV will increase in value as IMHO its utter speculation. FWIW I also feel the same way about our GTO's. I can say that if you like a raw challenging fabulous sounding driver the GTO is THE perfect modern steed. There is NOTHING else available for under a $1M USD that can compete with the GTO's myriad of outstanding qualities. In fact I honestly can't think of a car for even $1M that would fill its shoes. Whether the market values the extreme personality of the GTO is something that only time will tell. The Aventador SV just ran a crazy Ring time so you'd think that they'd sell like hotcakes. What I have found out as I have gotten a bit older is that stuff like Ring times and 0-60 times mean less and less. How your car makes you FEEL is what distinguishes it as special. Will a Murci SV, or an Aventador SV for that matter, make you feel special ? I candidly have no clue. I will say that I always feel special in the GTO. I still try to master her wild power band and extreme disposition but invariably fail. I'm just no good enough for the GTO. She coddles me and pushes me to be a better driver, but she can be very unforgiving if you don't respect her. If this kind of personality is what you seek then the GTO is your baby if not, then maybe looks elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that there are many more avid tifosi seeking this experience than experiences available. Meaning that IMHO the GTO will always be sought after by those of us who are seeking the MOST extreme driving experience. No turbos, no supercharger, no electric motors, no KERS, no AWD (like the Lambo SV's), act). The GTO despite its drivers aids is a very pure experience. Yeah i could go on and on haha guess I'd buy a 2nd GTO over a Murci SV AND an Aventador SV but thats just me. When you get your GTO please post a pic or two.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    all the 12 cylinder limited edition values have shot through the top in the USA in the last 6 to 9 months.. so is it for real or not ... who knows if you like the car keep both maybe you make a few dollars but if you can accept the GTO falling back to the 500 range that they were at since they were new.. that is really all you are risking... will the GTO go from 700 to 1m maybe will it drop back to 500 maybe .. will it drop to 400 no way .. so you may have couple of hundred exposure ....
    at least that what I tell myself....

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    The mods should put "Official GTO Ambassador" somewhere in your title. Love the posts every time the GTO comes up:)

16. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
    I love Ferrari, but would take the Lamborghini over the 599.

17. Slayclops

Slayclops Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    K.B.
    I'd have both IMO.

18. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    got nothing to do in the office, so i'll argue over the internet ;)

my gto is no big bull! The aventador with an exhaust is so great an experience that u need to drive one to understand. my gto is just another great ferrari, my scud is a great ferrari, my 458 spider is a great ferrari, most any new era ferrari is a great ferrari.
    and most of my fcars are better than my gto in the all out mountain roads that i do my driving, i dont daily my fast cars.

i love my gto because its a gto. thats it. i dont care how valuable it is, i just drive it, and i want a gto, like i also want a laf that kind of thing.

my gto doesnt drive like a bad beast like my aventador or the 670SV, its smooth, its comfortable, its nice, ...... nothing like my crazy lambo. I cant even imagine how good the SV aventador is gonna be like.
    At first, I used to think the aventador is zx!t, it drives like zx!t, shifts like hhz!t, goes like zx!t if u compare it to ur fcar. but if u drive the zh1!t out of it, u'll find its super awesome. I always call it a moving amusement park, it makes u happy and feel special, and makes everyone that saw u special and happy.
    i can go on and on, but its a fcar forum, so i'll let it go, but u can daily a fcar, but u dont have a need to in a lambo, because u be exhausted.

Sure, the big lambos have more issues than the now semi-reliable ferraris, mine fail to start on several occasions when it thinks its too hot to start, i learn to love the antique slap in the head shifts, and the interior w/infotainment systems are much more enjoyable to spend time than any ferrari. The complicated audi spec A/C makes traffic time pass faster and more icy cold enjoyable to cool ur body parts.
    U cant see out very well anyway, so they put a lot of buttons inside to play with, even the sound system is awesome relative to the gto's.

the big lambos like the aventador and the same goes for the 670 SV is on a planet of its own, everytime u go out, u will feel like ur handing out free magic mountain tickets to bystanders, it looks like nothing on earth, its crazy god loud, low flying, neck breaking gear changes, fire spitting exhausts, basically ur an alien superstar when ur in one, lil kids gawk at u, guys hate u, chicks wont admit they want u but they do....

while im always in the process of acquiring a second GTO, for its name sake, sure it drives like a tuned down XX which i will never know because i never driven one, but went to many XX shows, and trust me my gto dont look, sound, or feel anything like a XX when they flyby the pit wall with ur cute F1 ear muffles on (the BIG ones).

U can stand more GTOs because they are nice, smooth, and do what its told, but u cant stand 2 fire spitting aventadors ;) U'll need illegal drugs to cope with that, preferably something powdery.

the king is here - Rennlist Discussion Forums

19. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1

20. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    +1 on your post about Tortesq1!

21. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    #21 Camlet1, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    There are very very few posts that crack me up. I'm in an airport lounge at CdG Paris and pissing myself laughing....like annoying other serious businessmen. Your post is excellent!!!

I'm am huge Ferrari fan, have several including the 599 GTO. And I wouldn't buy an Aventador to save my life. Not because I don't admire it, I think I'd look like a prize dick.

My 27 year old daughter adores anything Lambo, to drive not be driven. She would die for a black Aventador. She's mad but I adore her too. Yet she barely lifts her head at my F50 or F40 while I almost cry over them.

So your post is spot on. The 599 GTO is a great car, a brilliant car but if had the balls I'd buy a Bull. Because in terms of WTF impact, the 599 GTO can't compete. Mind you, not sure it tries. Great post, thanks!

22. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    hahaha I was trying to be factual not funny though :)

i admit the dick extension aspect of the aventador is definitely more pronounced, but I do also feel like superman in fcars too, so I call that a tie.

ur daughter must be very smart not to be driven in lambos, because everyone I took for a ride wants to get out or threaten to puke in just a couple of lights.
    if u think our gto shifts are brutal ........, u will think a bus rear ended u the first time u shift in the aventador at over 7k! ;)

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
  24. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK

About 18 months ago three cars lined up abreast in a tunnel in Hertfordshire, UK. Two 599 GTOs and a bright green Aventador. Mine was one of the GTOs. Windows down, max revs, the sound was insane. What made me laugh out loud (not that I could hear) was the back of the Aventador was about 6ft in front of me and a few feet to my right. Remember I'm RHD so when that monster changed gear it shot a huge plume of blue flame out of its exhaust. Hilarious. Enjoy.

25. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #25 tmario, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's why I got the lambo race car... That way I'm only around other prize *****s 😉

Now if I can only find the time to take it out!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login