612 reverse lever fix | FerrariChat

612 reverse lever fix

Discussion in '612/599' started by belfry, Jun 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I am working with a company to manufacture a replacement lever. When an owner goes to Ferrari with this issue, the only option (at the moment) is a replacement F1 A module. Ouch!

What do you think happens to the discarded faulty modules? I could really do with some of them to experiment with. I guess that they are worthless but do they just end up in the trash? Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a couple of them in order to create a cost effective fix for us 612 owners?

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I think the fix is already available. Check around.

3. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Yes - Hill Engineering has a much improved part. I posted a thread with pictures about 4 years ago in the 360 section on how to replace the crappy Ferrari reverse lever. Assuming the 612 uses the same basic parts this should work as well.

4. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    lee-o likes this.
  5. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
  6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    They are far from worthless. In fact I'd happily buy up the broken "trash" to fix them up and sell them again! You are trying to market to a solution that has already been solved.

7. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Hills don't make a 613 reverse lever. I keep checking their catalogue without success. The 360 lever is different to the 612 lever.

Please can someone direct me to the seller of these levers. I don't want to have to replace the whole module.

8. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #8 Makuono, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Check the link I posted above.

Further to an email to Hill Eng, they contacted saying that a solution for
    612 reverse levers is on the pipeline.

This might be the solution we are waiting for.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A couple of weeks ago on a UK site OP was told by a well respected mechanic that the Hills part was in development but for now he had had success modifying the 360 item

Since this gives him a second (and arguably a third) solution (including his own lever referred to in post 1) I'm not sure why he is still looking for a lever (post 7) ???

10. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    #10 belfry, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    So, currently, my only options are to buy a whole new module or to try to modify a 360 lever?

Neither of these sound like a great solution to me. Personally I don't like adapting parts from other models on my cars. But other might not be so fussy.

I know that I'd have second thoughts buying a 612 with a gearbox lever that hadn't been designed for use in a 612

11. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Caveat: My experience was only with a 360 - but assume the module is almost identical.......

Ferrari told me that I needed to replace the complete module to the tune of $ 3,000 when the lever on my 360 broke. I had already taken it apart and knew that I only needed a new lever. Before somebody on Fchat pointed out to me that Hill already made this part which I purchased through Ricambi, I was planning on machining a lever myself.

I can assure you that any half way decent machine shop would come up with a much better design as Ferrari had - look in the old thread I posted for the pic - the Hill part is simple and much better - will never fail.

So no worries about using a part that had not been designed for the 612 - because what WAS built/designed for the 360 (and assume same of the 612) was total garbage.

12. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Mine was replaced back in 2013 - fortunately before I purchased it:

Cost was $5,109.49 for parts + $300 for Labor = Total: $5,409.49 USD

I can only assume the prices have gone up; so, your $3000 figure seems a bit low.

13. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    #13 belfry, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the newly manufactured 612 lever.

It is different to the 360 gear lever, which will not fit the 612 F1A module. I think that some people have managed to adapt a 360 gear lever, but when I compared the Hills Engineering 360 replacement it looked like quite a lot of adapting would be neseccary as the shaft is a different shape and a different length.

I'm hoping to swap it over with the original Ferrari part next week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Keep us posted -- I am paranoid to put the car in reverse from reading these posts :) If your effort proves successful, this could be a great break for 612 owners. Thank you!

15. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Two days ago received an email from Hill Engineering confirming the shift lever for the 612 is now fully developed and for sale.

The part number is RL-03. I´ll post back once I receive mine.

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

17. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This is awesome - the price is certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the whole smash. :)

Now they just need to do the same thing for those pesky window switches. :)

18. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    +1

Wasn't someone on here looking into this? Is there any progress?

19. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Is the Hill Engineering shift lever an easy DIY fit? Has anybody done it and are there any useful tips please?

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Did you read this thread: the item has only just been introduced a couple of days ago !

Having said that I suspect it will fit exactly like the standard item whose fitting instructions are linked in earlier posts in this thread

21. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Easy tiger! Yes I did read this thread and the new lever was released on 29/6/15 so nearly 3 weeks ago (not a couple of days) and so it is reasonable to assume someone may have done it. I have ordered mine for delivery tomorrow so I may be first.

22. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    It is a simple DIY job. It took me 10 minutes.

There are 2 slightly odd screws involved; there is a flat headed screw with a hole in the middle which holds the top plate to the rest of the unit, and there is a star-shaped screw holding the shiny metal gear knob to the replacement part. I bought a precision security screwdriver set to undo this screw (the type that you'd use to open an iphone).

23. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Good info.

We need to start a DIY thread for all the little nagging fixes that are needed on the cars. This would be one of them that would definitely save money.

24. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Thanks for that. I will let you know how I get on and post a DIY photo guide.

25. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hello!

I bought the Hill Eng solution some months ago but only now I had the time to replace the broken one. It is simple, however, as you mention the screw holding the lever has a star shape and is very very small. Can you confirm the tool you bought is a torx T6 screwdriver?