Loosing coolant on my 612 | FerrariChat

Loosing coolant on my 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Schestc2, Jun 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Anyone experienced this? After parking the car I find some coolant under the engine on the floor. I have checked the circle when cold with one bar pressure, bur no leak. Also when driving all is well. Only when the engine gets cold it looses some fluid. Any ideas?

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Water pump starting to go likely.

How many miles?

3. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    44000km.

If it was the waterpump, it would fail also whilst driving I asume, isnt it?

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    No, the seals in this water pump are ceramic and can leak when sitting still but actually seal while running. Plus, how do you know for sure it isn't leaking while running?

5. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    The leakage seems to be more in the back of the engine from seeing where it drops when the car is at a standstill. I assume its not leaking when driving, because when the engine is warm the car does not loose any coolant, only when its cooling down (from warm to cold).

6. jef

jef Rookie

Sep 1, 2004
    Check the rubber coolant hoses under the intake manifold. Common issue.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    The system needs to be pressure tested. The hose referenced will between the heads and out the back of the engine. The water pump seal will leak to the front of the engine, down near the timing belts, off the oil filters and to the floor.

Very likely also leaking while running. Sounds like a slow leak that continues after shutting down the car due to the system being pressurized.

8. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Thanks for the advice, the car drops indeed in the back, close to the clutch housing.

I also think its one of the hoses, a loose clamp or a sealing. B.t.w., Ferrari did pressure test the system with a cold engine but didnt didnt find any leakage. They said it might be some of the sealings which is where the coolant gets into the engine. Since it takes a hell of a lot time to remove everything to find out, incl. removing the air intake manifolds they recommend to wait until the next belt change and check then. In the meantime I should frequently check the level of the coolant. Anyway, its anoying to have a sort of incontinent car.

9. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Finally a hose had burst, coolant all over the place. Mechanics are removing the manifold to see which one is damaged but will most probably replace all of them.
    Costly repiar due to a lot of labor.

10. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes, that large hose lasts 10 years and about 35K miles. The hose should be replaced with any "major" service.

Should be a 6 hour job to replace. $1,400 with part.

11. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Thanks Jason, lets hope I have piece for next decade.

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv