612 tires | FerrariChat

612 tires

Discussion in '612/599' started by KY _Soldier, Jun 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    On the car I just purchased my front tires are decent (maybe 50% tread) but the rears are pretty worn. They have P Zeros on them now.

Option 1 - just buy a new set of P Zero rears
    Option 2 - Buy an entire set of MPSS'
    Option 3 - find a set of takeoffs/wheels for sale (so I have a second set of wheels in case I want to track it or have winter set) for the same price as a new set of MPSS' and use those tires for now

Any other ideas? Also what is the ratio of rear replacements to front typically. On previous 911's I used to go through 2-3 sets of rears for every set of fronts.

Thanks...Eric

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I would just get new tires - you have the prettiest wheels for the car already :) Depending on the date of your fronts, I would get either complete set or just rears.

3. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    PSS or cup 2s.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I replaced only the rears on my car. Depending on where you buy your tires, make sure to check the date codes-- sometimes these unusual tires have been sitting in inventory for a long time.

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    If you have 20" rims on the car, the FF spec MPSS would be a nice match.

6. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Which specs are those? (Sizes)

Thanks.

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Eric
    You got any pictures - If me, I would put p zeros on the rear and wait for the fronts

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Front: 245/35ZR20 (95Y) XL K1 Ferrari
    Rear: 295/35ZR20 (105Y) XL K1 Ferrari

9. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Eric- There's a set of seemingly virtually new MPSS in the for sale section in OE sizes- You may want to check them out...

10. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    shoot - they are 19s :( I have 20s. thanks for looking!

11. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Actually I have 285's in back.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I know. The FF size will fit without issue and provide you with a bit more tyre on the road in the rear. But you can just go with non-Ferrari spec MPSS tyres on all four corners instead, if you don't want to change size. An alternative is to combine the 295/35R20 XL K1 rears with 255/35R20 K2 fronts. Then you will keep the OE front to rear diameter difference and put more rubber on the road on all four corners.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    this may be sacrilege - but has anyone gone up to a 40 aspect ratio from the 35

might make it a little better to live with on crap roads

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #14 DK308, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Not even sure there is a 245/40R20 and 285/40R20 combo on the market. A quick search on tirerack comes up empty. If you find a set, you'd have to have room to add at least a ½" radius.

EDIT: Pirelli PZero might be available in that size. Those things are HUGE. Don't forget that the added diameter will act like a taller rear end ratio, and the additional rotating mass will affect performance as well.

15. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Dave you could back down to OE readily available 19" wheel/tire combo to accomplish what you seek, and there's nothing sacrilegious about that

16. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  17. themuskymaster

May 10, 2014
    Wheaton, IL
    I went option 3. Purchased a set of rims and tires here, the rims are great the tires not so much so I went with a set of winter tires (Chicago based and my 612 is my daily driver). Had my local mechanic switch the tires (which he did for 'free' (he took a picture of the 612 in front of his business and now has that on his web site in the winter tires section) and drove like a dream all winter (except when we had a ~6" snow storm and I left the car in the garage that day). Now back to summer tires for a few track events.

18. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
  19. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Despite the cost I think MPSS is the best choice...

20. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #20 MoeD, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Eric-

Of course the smartest $ choice would be to buy matching rears and wait til all 4 are worn before you change over , but the Michelins are so so much better that you ought to consider changeover now.

You will never likely put enough mileage on your car to wear through a new set of rears and then changeover- and then you'd be missing out on years of the performance advantage the MPSS's will give you. They are THAT much better.

Although, I will say this- The Pirellis are more comfy oriented and the Michelins are more performance oriented. So what are your goals?

Tire Rack's website has both performance reviews in multiple categories as wells tone of reviews from customers that will help you decide which route is for you

21. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    I agree on the MPSS' for Spring - but I do want to do some random drives on cold sunny days in the winter, and that rubber compound on the high performance tires isn't what I need on a sunny, 25 degree day in January. Hence the need for winter or all season tires from Now until March or so.

22. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Except for snow & ice- I don't think you will do better than MPSS- even in rain they are tops

And if you're taking your car out in those conditions, then that's surprising- Look into them more before you push them off til Spring- They may just be all you need

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

23. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    I went for Option 1 as it was part of a larger and already expensive service.
    The Pzero's are ok but not as good as the mpss I have on the back of another of my cars.
    So I'd go for mpss on all 4 tyres for the 612 if I had the call again...