599 GTB - buyer's guide | FerrariChat

599 GTB - buyer's guide

Discussion in '612/599' started by DZ-96, Jun 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hello 599 Forum

I'm new in this section
    I'm from Germany, have a 550 Maranello in rosso corsa/nero and some Maserati from the Biturbo era.

I decided to search for a 599 GTB (european version) in addition to my 550.
    I searched in this forum for a buyer's guide, but i found not much.

Are there any special details that i have to look for ?
    For example like the water hoses or engine mounts at the 550.

Thanks for any help and tipps.

Daniel

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you, I hadn't gotten to starting this thread. While we are adding information maybe some detail on any important differences between model years.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) My thread "Fiorino Owners and Cognoscenti: Info Needed".

2) FORZA # 135 (August 2014)--contains a 599 Buyer's Guide.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Many thanks

Daniel

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Hi Daniel,

I wish you a good hand in finding a nice 599!

I would insist on a complete SD readout prior to buying. At least you will have an indicator as to the clutch condition and various other valuable information. If the car already had a clutch replacement (at less than at least 50,000 km) then the prior owner did not properly use the F1.

I have read somewhere here that the shocks might become leak.

The combined water/oil pump may in some cases go at low milages already. Check for any leaks or strange noises in that region.

If a side window rattles (test with the door open whether you can move it up or down by hand), then this will likely be an easy fix, but good for negotiating the price, since it takes one or the other hour and particular care of dissassembly to lastly simply tighten the loose screws fixing the glass. I believe that this is a weak point, because my QP (having various similar technical design details) had just the same "problem".

Cheers Bernhard

7. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks Bernhard

Taz wrote

"Late in 2007 at serial number 156938, the 599 (and 612) converted from Motronic 7.1.1 to 7.3.2. This necessitated changing the TCU and shock absorber ECUs."

I noticed, that with Motronic 7.1.1, there is no possibility to upgrade to HGTE gear change spec.
    But is there any more disadvantage with the Motronic 7.1.1 ?

Daniel

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    It's a great car, good luck with your search. I had a GTB from 07 thru 14. The only items that came up were:

1. It needs to used regularly or it must have a CTek trickle charger attached (easy to do located in trunk/boot). The GTB gets easily upset when not fully juiced.

2. I would often have the red engine warning light come on. It's a serious warning light so the first time it happened I stopped and called my dealer in a mild panic. He told me to go into trunk switch off the battery for a few minutes and reboot. It cleared the warning light. This happened many times over the life of the car and each time a quick reboot cleared it. The dealer couldn't fix it and I lived with it. If you do reboot do not try and close the doors!! as the window glass will not drop with the battery shut off.

3. FFSH. A must. The GTB is a brilliant machine combining two characters - an easy relaxed GT and when you desire, a monster 600+ bhp supercar. But it's a complex car so must have a bullet-proof service history.

Enjoy.