Anyone with experience installing a manual gearbox into a 599? | FerrariChat

Anyone with experience installing a manual gearbox into a 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by ExcelsiorZ, Jun 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Does anyone here have or know of someone who has experience installing a manual gearbox into a 599?

2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Every single 599 has a manual gearbox.

3. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Do you mean they are all automated manuals?

So then its just a matter of installing shift linkage, a clutch pedal and master cylinder, etc., and removing the F1 actuators?

Can it really be that easy???

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    No. It isn't. Clutch Slave seals are different, as well as several other items and then there's the biggie. The electronics. Unlike the earlier cars the can-bus system on all Ferrari's from 612 onward is very different, and very complicated. I suspect you would have to replace several ecu's and carry out a fair few wiring mods just to get the thing to start up...

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My understanding is two ECUs.

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    He means a real manual im sure. One with three pedals.

Someone will do it. Frankly id rather just rip out all the electronics and have an engine/tranny combination i want. Fit some race coilovers and bam. Wondrous car...the way it should have been made.

7. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Not worth it, but if you have enough money to keep throwing at the issues it will eventually work. Had a customer once who wanted to do this to a 430 and we stopped quoting as it was nearing the cost of just finding what he really wanted in another car.

8. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Agreed on a 430....but 599 prices for cars with sticks are hundreds of thousands of dollars more than paddle shift cars. Hence, there is incentive to build what I want.

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm interested in doing the same for 612.

There have been many conversions done on the 360 - just Google F1 to Manual.

The key is correctly identifying the needed components and finding them at the right price.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Any thing is possible. All you need is money,time and a person who is qualified enough to do the work for you.

11. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #11 muk_yan_jong, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Is very true, but for a project like this, that convergence doesn't happen often and it's not gonna make a converted F1 worth any more IMO. I get the feeling this is the path the car is being forced down.

Very few 6SP 599s to begin with which means Ferrari probably does not have many parts sitting around. Pile-gathering would be miserable.

Most of the money up front would also be necessary for any shop to even entertain estimating.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Do you think a modified 599 F1 will fetch the same price as an original gated 599? I seriously doubt it. I wouldn't go near such a car. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a modified car with a history at that point - no thanks.

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This sounds like a prospector try to protect their interests.

It already been well established that you can convert F1 to Manual and, if done correctly, there should be virtually no difference between factory and converted. There is very little mechanical difference between F1 and a pure MT.

I'm not sure if Ferrari Inc would be willing to update the build sheet or not, when a car is converted. However, I would not care either way.

I can't speak for everyone, but my own interest in converting is for the connectivity to the road & sporing enjoyment that a MT affords - not ROI.

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Nope, not a prospector try in any way. Had a 599 for a week back in '08, great car, but not my thing. Just saying that I don't think those who actually are looking into purchasing the high priced gated 599's, are interested in paying the same for a modified 599 F1. I might be wrong, just my personal take on it. To some, the originality is a big part of the game.

i do understand the desire to modify it for personal enjoyment, I have nothing against that - and if that's why you want to do it, I think you do it for the 100% right reasons. As for added value, look at it this way. If it turns out that it is a relatively "easy" conversion to do, and a lot of F1 owners choose to do so, there will be a lot more gated 599 around, and that in turn will make them less rare, and thus less valuable. On top of that, some buyers are just not too fond of modified cars.

As for speculation in cars? My father used to speculate in cars - I never have.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    FWIW did a swap on my e36 M3 from auto to 5spd. Did mostly with used parts the total was around $2700. Even then electronics are the biggest issue. Tis somewhat common on theses older BMW's, and too a lesser degree a stick M3 is worth more than an auto.

16. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    It doesn't need to be about speculation. Surely it's more reasonable to consider if the converted car would be worth more than an original F1 car, rather than to compare to the value of an original manual? If it is worth more than the F1 car + conversion cost, then for some people it will be an easier decision to make. i.e. at least you feel better if you can cover your costs. Enjoyment is the main factor, but you want to keep an eye on the economics. The problem is that apparently no one knows the real cost or complications of converting. Maybe the electronics side is not so difficult, and at least initially there will be enough parts hanging around to convert several (?) cars. There is not much chance of build sheets being altered unless there is significant $ to the factory in doing so, but sooner or later someone will step up to the plate and prove it can be done without spending a fortune.

17. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    i wouldn't count on there being much monetary incentive for modifying an F1 trans. While it is true that a speculator actually paid over $650K for a manual 599 several weeks ago. It is also true that one week later another 599 manual was sold for under $300K at another auction That first guy got seriously burned and will never get his money out of it and both of the 599's came from the factory with a manual transmission. A converted 599 would have little real value for a possible buyer or collector.....unless the price was dirt cheap. Keep your money and buy the real thing or find a different toy to play with.

18. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I do not believe that a non factory converted car will ever be worth the same as a factory produced car. It will always be a privately modified car.

In answer as to whether the factory would update the build sheet, common sense would be that the factory will not update a build sheet unless the factory does the conversion.

19. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I was quoted $20k +/- by Auto Gallery in L.A. to swap a 599 to manual. Tech said its a straight fore ward bolt on conversion using all factory parts.

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Sounds about right. Well worth it vs paying 150k premium. Parts are the same. Sure it wont hold the same value but itll hold much better than an f1 car

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Was it ever done by that firm ? How sure can you be of that estimated costs ?

22. Bilal928S4

Bilal928S4 Karting

Jun 11, 2014
    If the quoted price of $20K +/- is accurate (Parts & labor), wouldn't it be a no brainer to do it when the clutch goes out on the F1 transmission?

23. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    That's what I was thinking

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with your logic.

25. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    I have owned a 575 manual and loved it over the f1, i have driven a few 599s and asked the same question of our local Ferrari master tech, he responded that with my money and his time anything was possible, we both had a laugh and he went on to tell me that he had driven both and in his opinion the car just didn't suit being a 3 pedal manual, it was his felling that the car had being developed around being an F1, Just his opinion!nothing more!
    I`am sure that others here will disagree and i am not saying either is right of wrong, but perhaps you should track one down and drive it before you go a head