Avoid buying a 2007 599? Please explain... | FerrariChat

Avoid buying a 2007 599? Please explain...

Discussion in '612/599' started by Treviso, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1 Treviso, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    I am in the market for a 599 V12...should a 2007 be avoided? It seems that few on this site have anything positive to say about the MY2007 599. Please explain. Thank you, in advance.
    Robert

P.S. Did later 599 models have substantial gains in horsepower? Do the non-HGTE cars still handle well? Huge difference in power between HGTE vs non-HGTE?

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is typical but not really accurate to make such a blanket statement. 2007 is the first model year for the 599 in the USA. The market place usually prioritizes later model year cars because they come with refinements and usually they add options as standard. The real issue with going with a 2007 is simply it can't get all the HGTE upgrades particularly the faster transmission software. On the plus side you can get into a 2007 for less money than a later model year; on the downside you will have a harder time selling it/ have to sell it for a lower price when you go to sell. Bottom line- theres nothing terrible about the 2007s. People just like quick explanations and that is the 2008s+ give you more options and that makes them a little more desirable for most people.

3. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Increases in power with later cars?

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Not that I'm aware of.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    2007 is fine but in years to come as now the later cars usually last year cars will be more sought after . the 2007 should be a little less money.

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I completely disagreethat most on this site have nothing positive to say about '07's. I've seen a number of inquiries like this that get debunked out of the gate by those of us that have owned 599's, but I have yet to see anyone, a single owner, say avoid an '07. Ever.

This has been answered a few times in this forum, but early '07's can't be upgraded to full HGTE. Big whoop. And CCB's were an option in '07 but standard in '08. Those are your differences.

No, later years did not gain in HP.

7. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I am a current 458 owner and I am seriously interested in buying a 599. I am intrigued with the car and really want to own a modern Ferrari V12, so I am just trying to gather as much information as possible. In doing my research on this subset forum, the question of 2007s keeps coming up as less desirable and I just want to get to the heart of the matter. I have also been a 2008 430 owner, but want to experience a 599...almost traded my 458 for a F12 allocation, but couldn't give up the 458 as I love it too much. I figure I can afford to own a used 599 along with the 458 and enjoy them both.

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    As a previous owner of an 07 GTB, albeit in the UK, an 07 US model sounds like a steal. I once looked at upgrading my GTB to a HGTE but it wasn't worth it. Zero power difference, some handling benefit but small. If you can secure a better deal on an 07 I'd do it.

Below is an extract from Car Magazine's assessment:

"But can you tell the difference on the road?

It’s not easy, but only because the standard 599 is so good. The HGTE has a slightly quicker turn-in. Ride comfort in the standard ‘sport’ setting remains good but in ‘race’ it’s too stiff for some poorly-surfaced roads. In both modes, roll is reduced but this is still a big GT car; don’t expect it to corner as flat as a Scuderia.

But it now feels more at home on the track; the standard 599’s amazing resistance to understeer, huge power and torque and impassive braking are now matched to less mid-bend wallow. The exhaust note is bigger without getting you an ASBO, and the faster upshifts near the redline are the most noticeable change; shockingly fast and borderline uncomfortable.

Verdict

You’ll need to be a talented driver and on a closed circuit to really feel the benefit, and even then Ferrari says the HGTE package only shaves 0.6sec off the standard 599’s time around Fiorano.

But the average 599 buyer spends this amount on bespoke cosmetic changes anyway, so they’ll have little difficulty justifying an extra fourteen grand for a slightly sharper-handling version of what is arguably Ferrari’s best-ever GT car".

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Rob,
    Did you finally sell your R8? I've tried to like that, but struggle with the styling being ordinary.

Think you'll find a 599 WAY better in all respects.

I think of '07s as the bargain of the group....I don't care about a handling package and don't want CCBs.

Was looking at pricing of '07s last night. On just carsdotcom there are 10 with asks from $155-160k, but think seasonal pricing have them bumped up $10k. If you wait until Winter, I imagine the asks will be $150k, and buy prices at $140k.

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I have an early 07 with full HGTE (except the ECU upgrade) and CCB. I had it for almost 2 years and never had a single issue with it ... not sure what the fuzz about 2007 cars is all about ...

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The fuzz is about the fuzz about 2007 cars, nothing more. This thread will add one more deceptive hit to search engines implying there's something to the rumor, I suppose.

12. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    This forum has always been a wealth of information and I have never thought that asking questions about a certain model or aspects of that model were off limits. I certainly didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers with these questions. As a Ferrari owner and lover of all things Ferrari, I didn't mean to disturb the peace here. As current 458 owner and former 430 owner, I know that with every model, there are certain things or bugs that have to be worked out. For instance, when I was looking for my 6MT 430, most 430 owners (and it was common knowledge to the intelligentsia) that early 430's up through 2007 and early 2008s had a high rate of exhaust manifold failures. This was a fact and it didn't mean that the early 430s were junk...it just meant that they were prone to failure. Later models (2008 models forward) didn't have the same issues. I was just asking the question because I have my eye on a couple 2007s that I am very interested in purchasing and simply needed to get the skinny on them.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Probably just the title of the thread. Sorry if I got my feathers ruffled.

14. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No worries brother! It's all good. I appreciate the good words...:)
    I am just trying to get my ducks in a row to buy my first V12 Ferrari. It has been a dream of mine for more years than I can remember to not only own a Ferrari, but to have a 12 cylinder Ferrari! I love my 458 and want to experience that sound WOT!!!
    Robert

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They are indeed special. I had a pair of them this time last year, the new-to-me 599 and outgoing 612. Both were fantastic cars, both are with new owners now. Business improves, I'll probably do an OTO next. Not sure I'll ever be allowed to do a 458 thought. Love the car but my wife says I'm old enough that I look silly in the boy racers now.

16. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I've had my 2007 since 2011 with no problems (other than not having time to drive it).

17. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, that is the biggest problem of all...time!