"Yeah we're running a little bit hot tonight..." | FerrariChat

"Yeah we're running a little bit hot tonight..."

Discussion in '612/599' started by KY _Soldier, Jun 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    "I can barely see the road from the heat coming on..." - David Lee Roth lol

But I digress, I have a real question. After getting my 612, I've had an issue whereby sometimes when I am driving and idling at a stoplight the water temp starts to overheat into the red zone. Haven't completely recreated the issue as it's intermittent. When I start to drive, the natural air flow cools it down. The primary and secondary fans don't seem to be coming on consistently at a stop light. I tried recreating the issue at a local shop (Forza) but it didn't do it then. Has to be driven then idling at a stop light. I have also seen where when I turn the A/C off or on sometimes that trips the car into kicking the proper fans on and thus, cooling it down to normal operating temps (195-210 or so). When I am driving at normal speeds, the temps is fine, right at 195.

Any ideas as to what sensor or whatever is causing this nuisance? Thanks in advance.

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes, coolant temp sensor or low on coolant. I will check the WSM and see if I can find the exact location for the sensor. It is either next to thermostat or under the plenum on the water distribution plenum. Could also be a relay problem or a fuse.

3. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i had this happen to me 2 times also, the temp gauge raced to red and coolant warning came on, but no steam or overheating of any kind. Pulled over, restart the car and everything was fine, but just to be safe, i changed the coolant a while later.
    i never changed the coolant for 6 years or 15k miles before that. Engine over heating isnt an issue with these cars, its the transmission seal leaks u might have.

4. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    I have exactly the same problem as this. My 612 is going for it's annual service next week so will get them to look at it and post the solution and any part numbers.

5. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Any luck finding the issue after your service?

6. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Picked up the car today. There was a dirty connection on the fans so sometimes they would click on and other times they wouldn't. Driven home today in stop start traffic and temperature never rose above 100C. Hot day in the UK today. Over 30C.
    So all good with nothing more than a dirty connection.

7. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    do you know specifically which connection it was? thanks in advance for the answer. seemed like it was something simple like that.

8. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    No idea which specifically but will ask.

9. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    There are two radiator fan connectors. One for each fan. They are a real good tight and sealed fit so I would be surprised if those were the issue, but I suppose anything is possible.

10. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Wasn't a specific connection just all connections cleaned and refitted. All I know is it works faultlessly now with no new parts needed!