Tale of 2 cars 996 GT2 and 599 GTB :) good stablemates | FerrariChat

Tale of 2 cars 996 GT2 and 599 GTB :) good stablemates

Discussion in '612/599' started by LCatGA, Jul 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LCatGA

LCatGA Rookie

Jun 28, 2015
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Leon
    #1 LCatGA, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had my 2002 Widowmaker for 4 years and it's heavily modified. Suspension is fully redone - 3 way Motons and rest of suspension was upgraded to Worldcup RSR specs, solid motor mounts etc. Short shifter kit facing Stage 3A carbonorganic clutch and Wavetrack LSD. Fully reworked intake and exhaust sides(YPies, headers, catback etc) of the car 4.5" race intercoolers and Alpha Tial GT28 turbos which spool up at about 2800 RPMs. Car lays well over 600 RWHP and tips a scale at under 3000 lbs. Needles to say it does not make for a fun daily driver on broken NY roads although Motons make a very admirable job of dampening potholes. My wife hates riding in this car - I got screamed at more than I care to remember.

Just picked up 2007 black 599 - and it made for a wonderful DD car. Cursing is a pleasure and in a same time car preforms extremely well. If I only had one car (I use Cayenne Turbo as daily driver) it be definitely 599. How ether car feels slightly underpowered
    and slightly too soft in handling department. I understand what my expectations might be set by very highly modified GT2 but we were doing runs next to my wifes mildly moded CLK63 convertible (I coaxed about 560-580 HP out of it with tune, intake, secondary's bypass) and while 599 would eventually loose it, it felt like a fight. Also cornering on heavier CLK was almost as good while I did rather small mods on it - KW coilovders, sway bars, control arms, and strut tower crossbars.

I know what original tires on 599 probably a culprit - they are starting to dry rot and I never liked Pirrelies to begin with. Michelin Pilot Supersport K1 should increase handling ability - at least I hope so :)

Looking for other ways to improve handling without going overboard - I think HGTE package should do me well :)

Is there any way to coax some extra meaningful power out of 599. So far I'm looking at secondaries delete and maybe a tune.

But on the balance I love the car and addition of it to my garage seems to be what doctor ordered. It holds a very different place in my garage and in our hearts as compared to GT2.
    One is rough, loud and supper willing to both please or kill you filling your ride with adrenaline and making perfect quick drive to the office car(definitely wakes you up for this early meetings)

Another is a very refined car which just makes you very relaxed even as you race it - true GT heritage. Comfortable enough for long rides and practical enough to do mild grocery shopping. My only fear what I might be putting too much miles on 599 ruining it's value :)

And they look gorgeous next to each other in garage. CLK was exiled to be parked on the street :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats on the 599 Leon!! :)

Love the wheels and that colour on that car.

Don't worry about ruining it's value, you only live once so please drive the wheels off it.

Take care and enjoy. :)

3. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    congrats! used to have the same combo.
    look into KW coilovers for the 599 too, as well as the HGTE, its a must for that car.

4. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Nice 599. Some new tyres always make a difference.