H&R sway bars? KW coilovers? | FerrariChat

H&R sway bars? KW coilovers?

Discussion in '612/599' started by LCatGA, Jul 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LCatGA

LCatGA Rookie

Jun 28, 2015
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Have anybody actually tried them???
    Also have anybody tried KW coilovers on 599?
    I'm trying to improve handling without ruing ride too much. One of the options is to get HGTE sway bars(somebody on the forum does have HGTE springs) and have Ferrari reprogram suspension computer. Right now I'm trying to find out price on HGTE bars and reprograming. My gut feeling for total bill I might be in a price of nice KW set. And they are rebuildable so in future once OEM shocks will die I will save myself tons of $$$

Just wondering :)

By the way if anybody knows what should be a appropriate price for HGTE sway bars and reprograming - I would appreciate the info - I have a feeling what Ferrari dealers base prices purely on gut feeling

Also I understand what HGTE package will not detract and most likely increase value of the car. Right now I'm trying to see what's possible in terms of improving handling without killing ride quality. I used KW before on MB and P-Cars with great results - properly adjusted they can give you quite comfortable ride and if you tighten them up they will take car to whole nother level - much more difference than manneto on steering wheel does.
    I just don't know how they behave in Ferrari world

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I have a KW variation of sport coilovers on my Maserati QP. They are awesome. Mine are modified/refined by a place called Formula Dynamics out of Las Vegas that dominates in the performance Maserati mods and does some Ferrari. The owner is Jeff. If you are considering KW, you might want to contact him and ask him about doing a set for your car. He would likely tune them as well.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm waiting for my stock shocks to fail to make the exact same decision. I think the HGTE upgrade is just a stiffer rear sway bar, the reprogramming and then stiffer springs and your car will sit a little lower than before. I think the price for all this stuff including labor is around $9k (going from memory from a few years ago). Its hardly a bargain. But this is, as you say, Ferrari world.

4. LCatGA

LCatGA Rookie

Jun 28, 2015
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Spoke with Jeff at Formula Dynamics today - thanks for recommendation.
    He seems to be extremely knowledgeable gentlemen with perfect attitude so thanks a bunch for recommendation.
    First things - he seems to solve my wheel problem - their Veloce Corsa wheels is exactly what I was looking for - and should save me some weight where it counts. :)
    And they have steel brake line kit - made a huge difference on all of my other cars so that's no brainer for me.

On the suspension side things are a bit more interesting. H&Rs are out based on his prior experience which seem to mirror mine. He is going to custom fabricate a sway bars for my specs and driving style. We can run them with HGTE springs and reprograming or with KWs.

He believes what HGTE is not going to give me what I'm looking for, but on the other hand I'm still concerned with destroying ride quality with KW. He did suggested what various spring rates can be employed with KW to fine tune overall car balance - I did it with Motons on my GT2 with great success, but before I was under the impression what KW was one size fits all.
    I also discovered a very interesting product
    Ferrari Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links | Speedwerks

That should be able to adjust amount of preloading on sway bars and if it works well we can truly dial in that car to be something else with KW.

Decisions :(

I wish I had an HGTE car to test drive - that would clearly indicate me what is a preffered approach.

5. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    You may also want consider a Larini exhaust too seeing as FD is the U.S. distributor! :)

6. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i found some old pics of the best 599 from 6 years ago for u, KW coilovers which are multi adjustable so no issue with ride, spacers behind all 4s, full screaming exhaust, painted valence, was much better looking than my stock red 599 ever was.
    Owner said it was worlds over stock, i wouldnt know, never drove it.
    good luck, anything u do over stock will help its handling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FNCOOL likes this.
  7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Did this place revalve the dampers for you? So far I haven't found any third-party shops willing to revlave them because of KW making it difficult for them to get parts. KW won't revalve anything other than their competition dampers either, only rebuild.

8. LCatGA

LCatGA Rookie

Jun 28, 2015
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Leon
    There is an option to do that howether Jeff feels what stock setup of KW with 2 adjustments is perfectly good for 599

9. adam76

adam76 Karting

Aug 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I dont think KW makes full coils for the 599. That said, if you want to retain the smoothest ride, you do not want to get rid of the Magneto suspension. I'm not sure any after-market coils would provide for this. My .02 : )

10. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Jeff said the set-up for my QP was modified from KW's. Also, the units are stainless steel and black in color which looks much better than that crazy yellow and purple color that KW uses.