Why so many 599 GTO for sale ? | FerrariChat

Why so many 599 GTO for sale ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, Jul 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    End of February, 5 cars for sale in Europe @ +/- 475.000€. Today 26 cars for sale in Europe @ +/ 650.000€. Source Autoscout, mobile.de, PistonHeads, LaCentrale. Is this the end of a possible bubble on 599 GTO ?

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I wouldn't say so if you look at the massive increase in price, then take the RHD cars which seem to be trading higher still.

Markets are a funny thing, I don't think anyone can really read them. Problems will only arise if people buy GTO's with the sole purpose of capital appreciation, perhaps of the 26 there are owners looking to make the most of the short term capital appreciation.

3. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    This car is a beast and a keeper, and mine is priceless. Not planning to sell it as many other owners in this forum such as Romo, Dcmetro :).

4. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you had a car and it tripled or quadrupled in value, what would you do?

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Decide if money meant more to me than the experience and enjoyment the car gave me.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Asking price is not necessarily the same as selling price. Carrera gt prices doubled in about a month, and I seriously doubt they're selling at a million right now (even though of all cars for sale these I'm are prices somewhat correctly!).

7. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I checked mobile.de and yeah there are far more GTO's for sale than a few few month earlier

I'm in love

Ferrari 599 GTO als Sportwagen/Coupé in Nuth

Euro Scud seats + alcantara = Love

Grigio silverstone or Cana di Fucile ?

8. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    IMHO there aren't many US spec GTO's for sale in US. Looks like 5 publicly for sale here on cars.com for approx. $700K-$750K AP's. A year ago there were approx. 10 for sale in the US. Guess it depends on where you live. As I've said 1000 times if US has approx. 125 GTO's imported and over 300 million people here they will ALWAYS be in demand. Just came back from a nice ride in her and all I can say is W O W !!! She just stops traffic wherever she goes. I think 99% of the drivers around me slam on their brakes just hearing her vicious soundtrack before ever even seeing her. How somebody could voluntarily part with their GTO is beyond me BUT I do understand wanting to "trade up" to an Enzo or even an F40 (or whatever) and the other obvious reason which is financial. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to cash in and make a profit. I doubt many would admit to it, but its also possible that some owners find out pretty early on that the GTO is just much to much car for them and they become either reticent to drive her or just sell pretty quickly. Truth is that the GTO is not for everybody. I sincerely believe that there are very very few drivers out there that can handle her with their driving skill set. Most of us are better off with an F12 or 458 as they are just easier to drive. Even a 599GTB is much much easier to drive than the GTO. IMHO the GTO is geared for only THE most serious of drivers who deeply want a challenging drive. She goes from plodding along to manic in a split second. I think you need to be a little nuts to really appreciate her. Thankfully there are at least 598 other crazy people in the World that appreciate her.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have a question about the 599 GTO. The stock 599 was an amazing car. The GTO was lighter, more powerful, sharper, faster. The F12 that came immediately after is lighter, more powerful, sharper, faster than the 599 GTO (one second faster around Fiorano, according to Ferrari). 599 GTO prices are going up fast and F12 prices going down quite fast. Is there anything that makes the GTO more special than an F12 apart from production numbers?
    These are all fantastic cars and this is not to be down on the GTO. I've driven all three extensively and loved each more than the other. If it is just rarity, fair enough and that's a big value driver of course. But if anyone has ownership experience of a 599 GTO and an F12 it would be very interesting to hear your view.

10. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I just went on Autoscout and there are 9 GTO's for sale. How many people live in a Europe ? A billion ? More ? 9 GTO's for a billion plus people doesn't seem like a crazy figure. If there were 50+ for sale then I'd say absolutely a major problem, but 9 doesn't seem crazy.

11. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I'll defer to those who own both but having driven an F12 I'd say the primary difference is that the GTO is much more raw and visceral than the F12. I'd also take the Fiorano #'s with a grain of salt as they are meaningless to most. The difference is in feel. DCT vs. SCT. 6 sp. vs. 7 sp. GTO tranny drops multiple gears when on the pipe at higher rpms. GTO is geared to wind out its powerband at higher RPM than the F12. GTO feels like its dancing on the edge of its tires when pushed. F12 is plush and smooth GTO a bit more sterile and choppy. Once pushed to the limit I think the GTO is the much better car. The GTO gives amazing driver feedback. Finally is the soundtrack. While the F12 sounds wonderful when it is wound out, the GTO has THE unequivocal best sounding NA V12 engine ever produced. Its is a street legal 599XX and totally bad ass. Drive a GTO HARD and you will buy it. My 2 cents.

12. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

I went for a ride yesterday after the yearly maintenance. Wow each time I am driving my GTO I realize what a fantastic car it is :) we are just few on this forum to know what that means, and it is priceless to us.

You are right those are not many cars, but increasing from 5 to 26 in 5 months is strange (Autoscout only covers part of the market). I personally believe people want to cash in, but difficult to find another supercar (yes this is...) that will give more sensations. I understand you will not sell yours either :)

13. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    more like 750m people in Europe and yes they can all afford to buy a GTO so I guess you are completely right in your analysis ... LoL

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Completely different cars, both in concept and execution. One is a GT car for munching the miles the other is an event from the minute you hear that V12 bark into life, its barely silenced fury!

The GTO is much more raw than the F12, the gearbox is more visceral, in fact the entire car is more visceral and raw because it was designed to be. Its unforgiving.

You could have both in my opinion and have really great cars and each would be uniquely different and special in its own way.

15. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel

Thank you for the gratuitous "LOL". My point is that there are many more qualified buyers than there are sellers contingent upon the price point. How about this - how many "Euro" GTO's were produced ? To wildly guestimate ..... if there were 300 or so Euro GTO's produced (outside of GB) is there a glut of GTO's when 9 are for sale on Autoscout ? I see you are in London. There were supposedly 60 or so RHD GTO's produced. If 3 or 4 are for sale is that a glut with a 120+ million population ? Obviously these gross population #'s include every man, woman and child but my point is that the potential pool is enormous and no matter how you cut it there just aren't many GTO's in the World. As I sit in my backyard pool (drinking a cold Sam Adams) I pray that you and the rest of the naysayers look at this thread in 10 (no make that 5) years. You will ALL rue the day you sold, failed to buy or just denigrated the GTO. So many GTO haters its truly sad. Back to swimming and drinking ......

16. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    In fact I think the GTO is one of the greatest modern Ferrari out there and whether its value goes up or down will not change anything to that ... I was just pointing at the fact that the supercar market is only accessible to a very tiny fraction of the population and sorry if my LoL offended you ...

17. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I think it's people that want the cash out in the price rise before the f12 limited version comes out.

18. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Yes, that has been mentioned by some people in this forum on various occasions but for the life of me I fail to see what one has to do with the other!

19. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    It's the next model or perceived next model of the GTO lineage in a sense and its human nature to trade in the old for the new. Not many people need 2 cars to do the same thing and the increased price rise is just icing on the cake. You don't need the 430 scud when you get the 458 speciale. I love the 599 GTO and I think it's the best car ever made so far from my perspective so I dont want to offend anyone comparing them to consecutive model releases.

20. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm afraid I don't agree with your analysis. I just don't think it applies to this sectors demographic.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Could it just be coincidence- everyone has their reasons- maybe there are just bound to be a few cars on the market at any one time. They are great cars, there has been a pretty big run up in values so maybe a few want to cash out.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    "Maybe both happening at the same time." - Forrest Gump.

But I think you knew that already.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My guess as well. Imo people are realising/thinking the market has reached its ceiling for now and want to cash out... The way prices are now they van get the f12 '' gto '' with +-€100k with it (although for now if it was up to me I'd probably keep the 599 between the two).

24. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    #24 imcarnuts, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just left the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and Algar Ferrari had one there. Under 1000 miles & asking 719,000.00 and he emphasized "ASKING." They just raised it from 699,000.00. Off topic but Janis Joplin's car on loan from Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Doesn't the Algar GTO with $699K AP have close to 7900 miles on her (not that there is anything wrong with that as she's barely broken in) ?