Ferrari 599 Tpms Failure | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 Tpms Failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by iamslickvic, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iamslickvic

iamslickvic Rookie

Jul 15, 2015
    I have a 2008 Ferrari 599 and im having a hard time with the tpms. I use to disconnect the battery when I wouldn't drive the car and eventually the battery went dead. I eventually jumped the battery and the tpms failure light came on. I went to butler tire here in Atlanta ga and they checked all the tpms and all of them read. I sensor was cracked and although it read I replaced it. I called the dealership and they told me to hold the tpms reset button down for 10 15 secs after I turn the car to acc then release the button and start the car. As soon as the car starts it says tpms failure. I drove the car around maybe 10 15miles due to traffic here it took 45mins so im guessing the car had a chance to reset but it didn't. Please advise on what I can do. Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I know you said one was replaced but if they have not been replaced a 2008 car is at the end of transmitter life (generally five-ish years) so it could be all four are due

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have a 2007 612 and ran into the same issues. Tried recalibrating to no avail.

I replaced all 4 TPMS transmitters and all is well. They only last about 7-8 years and their batteries are not replaceable.

So, I would just recommend replacing all 4 now. If you get the Ferrari spec replacements, they are not cheap.

4. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Just replaced all foud sensors - everything works fine now, the system has recalibrated and showing pressure and temperature just fine. By the way - I installed VEMO sensors - part no V99-72-4015

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello,

I just purchase and replaced the front TPMS sensors (original Huf - Autel), and it is still showing "TPMS Failure".

I tried the re-set a few times, and the failure comes on immediately.

I have contacted the vendor of the sensors, and they tell me they need to be "mated" by the OBD - is this true?

Thank you

6. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Check here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/291132-07-599-tpms-not-calibrated.html

and here:

TPMS Direct - Ferrari TPMS and Setup

There are two ways to setup the TPMS - thru OBDC and pressing the button on the console and driving the thing.

The later method takes some time to process calibration.

I had this exact problem some months ago - it took some time driving (maybe 1h) before the car recognized the new sensors and system got calibrated.

Thanks to forum gurus who helped me by then.

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I will try by turning on the key (without starting) and pressing the re-set on the console.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ricardo- That second URL from TPMSdirect is funny. It is extracted word for word from a document I wrote several years ago on TPMS sensors for my Ferrari buddies.

Whatever you write on the internet will come back and haunt you.

Irony is, my TPMS system was completely softwared out when I did an instrument panel change a few years ago.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. Aeiou

Aeiou Rookie

Jun 15, 2016
    Hi guys,
    I just changed all my tpms sensors (orange 433mhz) which dated from 18/03/2008, had low battery but still worked!
    Anyhow, I bought some new huf beru sensors rde001, orange 433mhz, with the following ref nbr on the box 43.202.000 and the sensors have been installed by my mechanic. Not official ferrari dealer but a garage that only repairs ferraris, old and new. They couldn't calibrate the tpms system with their computer and told me it was due to my sensors not having the same length of digits in the value column on their computer. They tell me the original ones had 9 digits, eg 600103689 whilst the new one have only 8 digits, eg 4ede42ed. And they think that's the issue....I couldn't believe it and as they didn't do a good job on another issue I had, I picked up my car and tried the manual reset.

The car doesn't seem to want to calibrate. I press the calibration button, it goes into calibration mode and then after a little while comes back with an error message (can't remember what it says but will check tomorrow), then after a while says low tire pressure and after a further while "tpms failure" and the tpms warning light starts blinking.

Any views on how I can resolve this?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Take her to a good tire/alignment shop. All US car since 2008 have been required to have TPMS and the good tire shops have the tools to calibrate TPMS systems when they replace sensors as the internal batteries time out. Call them first to make sure they have the tools. Most shops are happy to see something interesting like a Ferrari show up and take extra care. If something is wrong (bad sensor, etc), they should be able to tell you what the problem is.

11. Aeiou

Aeiou Rookie

Jun 15, 2016
    Thanks Taz. Issue is I live in Asia and finding a good mechanic, let alone a good tire shop is close to looking for the holy grail!

Anyhow, good news is, I went this morning to put the tire pressure spot on (the shop put way too much), recalibrate the tpms a couple of times and by magic, tonight when coming back from the office all worked fine now. I have the correct pressure and temperature showing up, no error messages and no flashing tpms synbol.

Italian magic...

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I love a happy ending.

13. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    I took my 599 in for service and main dealer gave me an advisory that TPMS had flat batteries and it needed new set at a cost of £780.
    My wife was then reading the handbook and it tells you how to set the TPMS. Did that and it now works perfectly. Has worked perfectly on every trip since.
    That would have been an expensive and un needed purchase. Black mark for dealer and I told them so when they phoned for a quality survey.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Nonetheless if you still have the originals be aware that they are towards the end of their life and error signals may become more frequent

15. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    You are of course correct but I suspect the reason they came up this time is because I had a flat battery. It had not been started for six weeks.

16. Jayr00

Jayr00 Rookie

Nov 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I recently had to replace all 4 of mine on my 2008 F430. I went to http://www.titantpms.com/ and got the OEM HUF sensors for a low cost. I got them in 3 days and had them installed.

17. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm getting Tmps failure on my '06 612. Have tried to re-calibrate several times with no luck. Sounds like it could be the sensors on mine as well.

Maybe a dumb question, but I am assuming that the only way to replace the sensors is to remove the tires which would then require re-mounting and balancing?

18. Jayr00

Jayr00 Rookie

Nov 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yeah that's the only way to replace them.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If they mark the wheels and tires, the sensors (as long as you use OEM Huf-Beru or whatever they are now) will weigh the same and no rebalancing will be required.

20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I see the Huf sensors online. Also see either EON or ITM at half the price of the Huf. Anyone have any experience with either? I like to avoid the "Ferrari" tax when I can if the parts all work the same.

21. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I spoke with Titan (they sell all 3 brands) and they are recommending to go with the EON due to the price difference over the Huf. Said that they have had no problems, issues or returns for not working with EON.

22. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I would go for it. I got the EON in a gun metal finish on the stem to blend in with the aluminum wheels and I think I paid $180.00 for all four. 433Mhz and they synced-up fine, however I read a discrepancy of 2# of air all around from what I record with a nice tire pressure gauge (what ever). With the recent cold mornings I got a low pressure warning and it's normal to see a pressure drop in cold vs hot weather when filled with air. Maybe nitrogen would stay more consistent.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Both the OEM Huf-Beru RDE 001 and RDE 011 sensors are available on Amazon for around $300 per set. In the olden days, each sensor cost more than that, so they look pretty cheap to me.

24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Titan has the Huf set of 4 for $335 and the EON set for $159. Neither price breaks the bank, but if all things are the same for fitment, reliability, longevity and function, $159 sounds better than $335. The savings with the EON covers the labor to remove the tires, mount and re-balance, bringing the total job to around $300.

In my case I am still hopeful the issue is with the sensors rather than the Control Station. I doubt if they have ever been replaced and the car is going on 11 years old now. Presently I can't even get the tire diagram to display, which, according to the manual, could be caused by either dead sensors or a faulty Control Station.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The sensors in your 08 were Gen 1.5 and those normally last about 8 years or so. No clue on the others.