Manual (non-F1) 612 | FerrariChat

Manual (non-F1) 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by JamesCH, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesCH

JamesCH Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    James Smith
    Are there actually any manual 612s around? my friend says that 20% of the cars were manual, is that correct? here in Switzerland all the cars for sale seem to have the F1 option.

I am considering the 612 as a special car (50th birthday present and I have always wanted a Ferrari) for weekend trips with my two small children in the back - it seems like a good option from what i have read.

Any thoughts on the F1 transmission? is it quite jerky? or do you learn to live with it? I drove a Lamborghini Gallardo last week and the gearbox is definitely a long way from the smoothness of a double clutch.

Many thanks for and advice.

James

2. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Ferrari's F-1 shift was always a step ahead of the rest and if you can stretch to one of the later cars,ideally a OTO i don't think you will be dissapointed.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    More like 10% were manual.

Believe it or not, I got one for my 50th!

4. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #4 ghardt, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    I have a 2007 (non OTO) and the F1 will respond to your driving style. You can drive smooth or you can drive aggressive with firm shifts. They are great cars. All years.

5. JamesCH

JamesCH Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    James Smith
    Many thanks for your replies. 10% is not many cars, so i guess it will be difficult to find a manual one, but the F1 sounds good. I will have to try a test drive i think.

6. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    I have driven a friends manual 6 speed Ferrari 612 on many occasions and I can report that it is a stunning car to drive, in my opinion far more involving and enjoyable than the 'less than perfect' f1 transmission. He says the value is on the up as well with so few having been built. One is going to auction in September in London, it is left hand drive so may sell less well than a right hand drive car in the UK, maybe a bargain for someone?
    2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti | London 2015 | RM Sotheby's

7. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    It seems that the manual sell for about twice the price of F1 cars...

8. JamesCH

JamesCH Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    James Smith
    It seems that the manual sell for about twice the price of F1 cars...

Do you want to sell yours? :)

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    When I shopped for a 612 a few years ago I wanted a manual transmission car, but I gave up and got an F1 - just nothing available or showing up at the time (in the US). The F1 works great, not jerky, and it is satisfying to drive. Would I still want a manual? You bet! I think Europeans have more manuals available than the US, and if you have your heart set on a manual I would be patient. There was a manual 612 for sale in Europe (Germany, I think) in the classified section not too long ago. Though, given recent crazy auction price on the manual 599 ($600k), some people have started asking high numbers for many manual transmission Ferraris, e.g. 430, 612.

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  11. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    #11 flumpy, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  12. JamesCH

JamesCH Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    James Smith
    It seems if only 10% of new cars were ordered without the F1 (extra cost option?), then manual cars are not at all popular. Why else would everyone order them with the F1 shift? Surely the F1 shift must suit the car better, or simply be better than the manual? i have to confess that out of my last 5 cars, 4 of them have been paddle shift, and although i have kept wanting a manual car again, the good double clutch boxes are brilliant for most cars.

13. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    James, the crowd who bought a brand new 612 in 2005 is very different from the crowd who buy a 10 years old 612. There are very few manual 612 (less than 300 in the world, less than 100 in USA) and they are the last ones since the FF is auto only. Also the lines of the 612 have become a classic, and the car is really well build vs pre 2003 models so even early 612 are used today as daily drivers.

A manual 612 is not about having the fastest easiest latest tech anymore since the FF is out, that's why the manual is in demand and because driver involvement is a notch up from the F1. The 456 were nice cars but the interior was bad and ages really bad. Also the 612 has trajectory control, a must in such a powerful car IMHO. All that said, the manual 612 is in a very unique position to become a very coveted classic.

I am keeping mine and trying right now to get it fitted with the factory CarPlay, the possibility to add new tech is yet another reason why these cars are special... Even late 612 cannot have it retrofitted...

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Also, they only built manual 612s from 2005 to very early 2008. After that, they wouldn't build one for you.

The 612 is really a long distance tourer, and the fact is that the F1 serves it perfectly. I tried to order a manual 612 in 2008 (2007, even, but we couldn't get an allocation until 2008) and was unable to, and in hindsight it's just as well.

15. barrybadpak

barrybadpak Rookie

Jun 22, 2013
  16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Just want to clarify that I got an F1 612 (could not locate MT when I was looking to purchase).

F1 versions are fine performers. Some are looking into possibility of converting F1 to MT; but, it would be a difficult venture.

17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I think the manual is overrated. I drove a 2005, and spent over a year fretting about this issue and my just pre OTO 2008 with HGTC is a significantly superior car, if only for the amazing CCM braking performance. I do miss a third pedal, but not enough to justify the older car. However, all rare things appreciate, even if they aren't better.

18. JamesCH

JamesCH Rookie

Jul 22, 2015
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    James Smith
    It sounds like the manual car (if I can find one) will be way out of my price range, so i can focus on the F1 cars. Just need to find someone to buy my BMW M3 first..

19. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    They did offer HGTC versions of the manual with the carbon brakes.

20. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Don't think I've ever seen one of those !