599 upholstery | FerrariChat

599 upholstery

Discussion in '612/599' started by ferrarista550, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    The headliner in mine came loose & I removed it. It turned out the glue had softened from the heat of my black car in the California sun. I tried to put it back in but I decided it was too wrinkled so I took it to a shop here in Redondo beach. They had to scrape the old glue off the top & put in new padding.
    When I removed it I had to remove the panel behind it & the dome light & sun visors. Having the shop manual helped a lot.
    I have been treating the leather (that beautiful leather) with Neatsfoot oil & mink oil. I Wikied Neatsfoot oil (very interesting) . . . Mink oil is harder to apply but better in some ways.

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tell me about neatsfoot as its cheap at Walmart vs. ordering leatherique

3. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    I didn't know
    Walmart had neatsfoot oil.. I got it online. I have tried leatherique & it seemed to work well.

4. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah but $7 vs. $45 is a big difference

5. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    I got 32 oz. of Neatsfoot oilfor $12 online, Amazon I think, but don't know how much it is at Walmart.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmmmm, mink oil on the leather. Over the years I have used it on certain shoes and boots, but I never thought of it for the leather in my 612. Does it alter the color of the leather at all?

I would be reluctant to try it, but I wonder if anyone else uses it.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Definitely changes the color. Over time darkens the leather significantly. The leather can feel a little greasy after use as well. Not sure I would want that on my seats soaking into my new shirt or whatever.

8. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    HI all, i am doing some interior work on my 599 and was speaking to an older guy who started life working for Connolly in England, and he told me that from the time Ferrari switched to Poltrona Frau, around 2001 , the hides are no longer a true 'tanned' hide, but a highbrid that is a sprayed vinyl finish, its a very high quailty product but not a true tannery product ,and further more he added because it is a "sealed" product "it cannot be fed", I found this a little hard to swallow so I went on the Proltrona web site and it does read like its a sprayed finish, not sold , I went on to ring HLV Exclusive interiors and caught the owner just before he was flying out to be a judge at Pebble Beach, he confirmed what my guy said to be true in regards to the process used,and as he now supplies Ferrari Classic , i thought he was well qualified to comment, he was in a rush so i didnt push him on the 'Feeding your leather Question'. back to my guy here in NZ i pressed him on what the best cleaning product was , he said that over years they had sent various products away to be tested but all came back with certain spirits and other undesirables in them and that the one product that tested the best was, old fashion LUX Flakes, as its just pure soap with no additives and a very neutral ph , I`am not sure this helps the conversation but it might bring on some healthy debate

9. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    the owners manual for my 550 said "use only natural leather treatments, such as neatsfoot or mink oil".
    I can't find any recommended leather treatments in the 599 owners manual. I would think it is the same. I looked through the shop manual & haven't found any discussion of leather treatment.

10. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    yes ,but is it a pre 2001 car?or post

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would guess that's more durable than the true tannery leather in the old cars, but good to know.

12. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Still not totally convinced i read through the whole process on the poltrona site, and it appears they go to extreme lengths( what sounds like a full tanning process to me) to produce an amazing product and "SOME",not all. of the products are finished with a coat of lacquer,not vinyl , for durability , so i think i`ll sent them an email asking them what they suggest for there car leather, I`ll let you know if i get answer , the factory is shut until the 24th