Probable TPMS issue and options. | FerrariChat

Probable TPMS issue and options.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrari Monkey, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    All,

So, I bought my 2006 612 last fall and took delivery of it on Thanksgiving day. Love the car. So much fun to drive. The care had aftermarket 21" wheels in the front and 22" in the rear - tastefully done. So far, the only problem I have had with it is that the passenger rear tire has a slow leak - it's had this since I got it. Usually it takes a couple of weeks for it to drain, then I inflate it. Rarely, it leaks faster. Anyways, I finally found time to take to Discount Tire (I always buy my tires from them for my other cars, and the nearest Ferrari dealer is a 6 hour drive). The guy did everything by hand (no impact wrenches), and showed me everything every step of the way. At the end of the day, he found no leak in the tire/wheel/etc. He went on to replace the valve stem, and some other rubber items (sorry, not that car literate) anyways just in case. BTW, the guy worked on this for almost 2 hours, and they didn't charge me a thing. He was nice, so I tipped him some $. Anyways, so, I drove it for about 20 minutes, then the dash showed tyre flat or puncture (sorry, but I don't remember). I got out and measured the pressure in each of the tires, and they were fine. I restarted the car, recalibrated the TPMS, drove for about 10 minutes and the same thing happened.

Now, I assume that the TPMS sensor died, as the car is almost 10 years old and I don't know if they were ever replaced. Dunno why it happened when he was monkeying with the wheel, but it did. I tried to get to the tire pressure screen, but the car wouldn't let me get off the tyre flat screen.

So the questions are... I assume the TPMS in the tire went out, is that a correct assumption? Could it be anything else I am missing? If I replace it, I would rather just replace all of them and be done with it. Does Discount Tire carry sensors that would work with this car and are they a good price, or should I buy them online and have a different tire shop install them? I did a search and older posts mention "Huf-Beru" - is that the brand I should look for, or would any brand be good? Do they transmit on more than one frequency, or is that not an issue? After installation, do I just press the TPMS calibration button like normal, or is there some special Ferrari programming that needs to be done?

In terms of the tire leak, any ideas? If it leaks again, I was thinking the next step would be to get a new tire. Not a cheap option if it isn't the problem...

Thanks in advance!

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Jason, do those also report the tire temperature?

And FM, rather than Discount Tire, try either a high car dealer in your area, or a specialty wheel shop for installation.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I ditched the factory TPMS in my 575 for a SteelMate TP-005 system (This projects TPMS data to your A/V Unit).

The Kit cost $250 (another $150 for install) and $75 a wheel for sensor install at my local Ferrari Dealer.

Best,
    dsd

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ferrari versions of TPMS run about $180 each, as I discovered. This was for my 07 612.

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  7. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    So, found the Huf Beru on Amazon (Amazon.com: Huf Beru RDE001 433MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor for 2004-2010 Ferrari 612: Automotive) for about $100 each. The ones noted about by TryGVE11 are $41 each. Is one better than the other, or it doesn't matter? The ebay ones sound good as long as they work. Also, I read in a previous thread that they came in different frequencies - is this true or are they all the same?

Also, is there a way to temporarily disable the TPMS system so that stupid message doesn't show up on my dash, or am I stuck until it is fixed?

Finally, any special programming when I put the new ones in, or just hit the TMPS calibration button a few tims?

Thanks.

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'd need to look up the brand on ebay, but I bought a set of four for $160 that worked perfectly fine on the 612. They all work the same and on the same freq. There's zero reason to buy anything better.

9. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your help.