Severe gearbox whine. 2008 612 | FerrariChat

Severe gearbox whine. 2008 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by vglnte1, Aug 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Speed dependant whine showed up out of no where last week. It gets higher pitched the faster I go. Gear does not matter. It's a regular manual trans. Just changed the fluid with 75/90 Valvoline and did not help. I did noticed a good amount of fine metal debris on the drain plug. It's leaking a little from somewhere as well. Ugh. Any ideas on the noise?
    If the trans needs rebuilt, is buying new the only option?

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    What's a "good amount" mean? The drain plus will always shows some debris. Do you have any pics? How many miles on the trans? Are you sure you don't have a wheel bearing issue?

Trans can typically be rebuilt. Don't drive it much more at this point if you are sure it is the trans.

3. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    It sounds like a sequential out of a lmp prototype. The car has exhaust on it and the whine overpowers the exhaust in 6th gear. Who is the person to go to for a rebuild? This is about half the material on the drain plug. It has 30000 miles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hoss91IEP

Hoss91IEP Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    East Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    Thomas K
    Do not drive that car!
    Something is very wrong in that tranny!
    No expert, previous Big Three engineer, but "metal butter" is sign of bad things.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #5 2NA, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your description sounds like an output shaft bearing or possibly a hub bearing. If so, not a big deal to fix.

Black schmutz on the magnet after 30K miles isn't necessarily a big deal as long as there aren't identifiable pieces. I recommend pulling the filter screen (#35) to see if any bigger pieces are there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I can rebuild it for you. I've done plenty of manual transmissions. Mostly Alfa Romeo's. PM me if you are interested. I am in Kansas City.

7. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Sent you a pm