i know they are trying to sell cars, but hold on to ur 612s..... | FerrariChat

i know they are trying to sell cars, but hold on to ur 612s.....

Discussion in '612/599' started by johns930, Aug 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BqT6S29Oo

listen to what RM has to say about a manual 612,...... night and day to my F1??!!
    less than 50 built??!!
    i never driven a sticked ferrari, im starting to wonder how good or fun are they.

i have a 930w/4speed, and will never prefer that over a double clutched turboS, and i never liked a sticked 997 gt3, but love the 991 gt3 w/flappy paddles, so i wonder how is a ferrari better with a stick??? oh well, i may never find out......

2. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    It is better, really an amazing car.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I wish I had the manual as well.

But, "Night and Day"? Seems like creating artificial hysteria to get a better price.

They are different, but F1 has it's own unique experience as well and learning to rev match with a sequential shifter can be an interesting challenge that a manual owner really doesn't have to worry about, since they can go directly to any gear.

4. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    I agree. While I have yet to drive a manual 612, I can't imagine it's a world of difference. My experience is that people really tend to exaggerate differences between cars... one that comes to mind is the new Range Rover. I have an L322. Everyone told me that the new L405 is miles better in every way. Went and drove one and really struggled to notice much difference... it also doesn't look as good. To each their own.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When someone says "night and day" its really just personal opinion. For them it could be night and day and for you it could be an incremental move either positive or negative.

If you've never driven a stick Ferrari you are missing out on a special experience due to the gated shifter. Its not hard to use but it will make clanky noises as you shift and it really enhances the car guy fun.

When I was researching the 250 and 330 GTO I learned these were the first cars to have the metal gated shifter which then became a Ferrari tradition.

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That is good to know. Thanks for sharing that.

I have previously owned a 328 GTS and 512 BBi Boxer. So, I know all about the gated shifter experience. :)

7. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    I would love to own a manual 612, but they are obviously very rare (thus hard to find) and the price difference is rather substantial.

8. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Hard to justify the price difference... That said when I bought my 612 6 years ago I had the choice between a manual and a F1, manuals were actually cheaper and F1 was all the rage. I felt the manual was more appropriate to a slower GT vs a 8cyl sports car as an occasional family weekend car. Now F1 is obsolete and manuals are very rare. Ferrari doesn't make any more manuals and the 612 is aging beautifully and is well built so maintenance is reasonable...

Funny enough if my 612 was F1 it would already be replaced by an FF but because it is manual it still has a place in my garage. The FF is simply a better newer version of the 612 with debatable design features. The manual 612 is just something on its own, there is no better version of it.

9. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know this is blasphemy but I can't imagine wanting a stick 612. 360? Sure. A grand tourer like a 612, give me F1 transmission every day of the week.

I think the F1 tranny (modern) cars look like solid deals. Even more solid when looking at the less sporting and more GT-like cars as I think the market is a bit confused on the MT bandwagon (full disclosure I have 2 MT cars and recently picked up a DCT car).

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    I agree that the rarity of the MT 612 adds to the value, however I also think that the F1 transmission is more suited to the mission of the car. They will make no more manual cars and I can see that helping hold the value of those cars, but there also seems like there is a bit of a MT bubble happening now. It will be interesting to see where it all shakes out. For now I'll try to enjoy my F1 612 and jump in the exige or caterham when I need to work out the left leg.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Super_Dave and Dave.0

👍👍👍👍👍👍

12. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Well for me the 612 is a casual weekend family car. The MT is perfect for that mission.

13. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Having a manual transmission in a 4 seater 612 Ferrari is not a plus to me. It is like having a manual in a Mercedes S coupe.

14. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    What is interesting to me is how many manual 612 owners would buy one at today's elevated prices which are at par with an OTO and twice the price of a comparable (or nicer and newer) F1.

15. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    ^It's because people didn't anticipate how rare the manual cars would be. Also, the inflated prices attract people by making them see some investment potential.

16. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is perverse logic, however.

They were rare because they weren't sought after just a short time ago.

They are in demand now, because of the circular logic that they are / were rare... the fact they are "more valuable" is making them "more valuable". When I see this sort of behavior in something produced in the modern era (and not long ago) it just smacks of the dog chasing its own tail around and around until it falls down.

The MT craze market will fall down.

Again, two of my sports cars are MT. I love MT but I also really enjoy DCTs.

In a GT / cruiser, the F1 tranny really suits the tone and flavor of the car much more in my opinion and the major premium over the F1 will come down over time.

That said, I must say getting an F1 612 looks mighty attractive given the powertrain you are getting in it...

17. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I've got two manual transmission Alfas, an F1 Quattroporte and an F1 612. I would love to try the 612 in a manual to see if the experience is desirable relative to the F1. That would be the only way to truly answer the question.

I love shifting my Alfas, and I am sure that shifting the 612 would be a fun "feeling" for the first few hundred miles. There is something about "being in control" with the manual and feeling the pull as you direct the action.

So, jury is out for me. Being that I have the F1 QP, I would probably prefer the manual 612. But being that I am likely selling my QP, the F1 612 will likely be the right car for me. When I am in a car like that, I am typically directing attention to passenger, kids, nav, etc. so F1 is a better choice.

Plus F1 is quicker and the 612 is heavy. Tie-breaker?!

18. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    But a manual Mercedes S class would be super rare, thus more valuable, therefore more desirable

19. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Manuaul 612's are better to drive, end of, full stop. The manual transmission works perfectly with the wave of torque on offer, feeling lazy, stick it in 4th and just enjoy the reserves of power. Feeling like a bit of fun, then work the box hard and relish the perfect, tactile gearchange.
    199 cars built in total for the world, of them less than 30 are RHD. Is there a more enjojable way to make money?

20. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    No doubt in my mind the manual 612 is also better to drive as it provides a better experience. The real question is twice the price better?

21. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    No question the manual would be more fun - but not worth the current price differential that has been forged on us by prospectors.

F1 is a better performer, allows rev matching skills to be tested, and more appealing to a larger audience of potential owners who may not be comfortable with a MT.

F1 & MT are actually quite similar mechanically.

22. meauxmo

meauxmo Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
    Having owned older vintage sports cars such as the Ferrari 330 GTC , two Aston Martin DB4s and numerous other cars I was attracted to the 612 because I actually preferred the lines of the 612 to those of other cars that were built for speed but without clean lines. I drove the paddle version first and was turned off by how it felt but thought it would be fun in manual. Once I drove the manual it was stunningly different and just like a two seat sports car but one that could take friends to dinner. It really is very different.

23. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Good info.

You do know that there have been F1 to MT conversions done, since they are so similar. If you search, there are plenty of successful 360 projects. It can be done for the 612 as well - just a matter of finding the correct parts and making it happen.

24. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I could do the conversion. I've been researching it. Same trans. Same clutch. Different throw-out bearing. Need to add pedal and master cylinder. And change out gearbox controls. And add linkage controls. I may build out a BOM for it and have it priced out by Eurospares for parts.

What do you think the market value of the conversion is?!

25. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    OK, just did a quick sampling on some of the required parts and it would be very expensive. Likely $25K to $50K just in parts.