612 with HGTS Package | FerrariChat

612 with HGTS Package

Discussion in '612/599' started by Rbtrader, Aug 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    I have looked at a few 612's in the lower $100K range to a little under $100K, and I have come up with a couple cars that could possibly work for me, but I wonder if there are any that I missed. The HGTS package is pretty tough to find.

I would like to find a car with the HGTS package, with under 25000 miles, no accidents, little or no dash shrinkage, factory Scuderia Shields, no sticky problems, and some proof of a belt service within the past couple years. I am pretty open on color, as long as the car is in pretty nice condition.

I know I am asking for a lot, but I have just missed a couple of them in the past few months. This is also the way I found my 575 manual, which I treasure, so I figure it is worth a shot.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This is exactly the car I bought last year from California. Mine is a 2007 HGTS that just had the major service and no sticky or dash shrinkage. The color is Grigio Silverstone.

However, I still had to deal with:
    -Replacing 6 of 10 ball joints
    -Replace All 4 TPMS devices
    -New Battery

HGTS models are excellent and sound great. There are also HGTC models, which is the same + the carbon brakes.

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    All 612s have a dash shrinkage problem but nothing that can't be corrected - I have had it on my 2008 and its never sat in the sun

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The 612, as I have said above, have very few problems - the leather issue is minor compared to the whole car - my 2008 has HGT and is an absolutely great machine - elegant but hauls butt with the V12 sound - nothing like a V12 - could be history in the future

5. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Do you think the Cabon Fibre Brakes are a good option to have? Ferrari brakes are so good anyway, other than on the track Carbon Fibre Brakes may be overkill with a huge replacement cost.

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The steel brakes on the 612 are outstanding. Last year, some inattentive idiot pulled right in front of me and the car stopped so violently, I probably would have gone through the windshield if I didn't have my seat belt on.

The general consensus is only get the carbon brakes if you plan to track it. Otherwise, the steel brakes are just fine.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    I consider carbon brakes to be a bit of race car fashion to put them on road cars. I have them on my 612, they work well and they look cool, but they are not necessary on a street car. Also, although they might work well on the track, they become a very expensive consumable. The best benefit may be the lack of brake dust.

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #8 raider1968, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Also, you will probably never replace them

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just keep checking all the online sites like cars and autotrader daily.

I saw mine the day it was listed, a Thursday. Placed a refundable deposit, had a PPI done Friday, wired the payment on Monday. The dealer told me that Monday that no less than 5 people contacted him to buy it.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The CFs are amazing. I had mine out on the track a few weeks ago, and feeling those things haul the car down lap after lap from 140mph with no fade, no shudder, no drama, is something else.

Letting my brother (serious racer) drive and watching him chase down and pass a Mclaren was fun too...

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they "Carbon Ceramic" brakes (not CF or Carbon Fiber)?

13. andremaneur

andremaneur Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    the piston inside the caliper is ceramic coated, the rotor and pads are carbon fiber, advises my 2 grade-schoolers who's hearts are set on the new Cali, or another 612, in our colors.

14. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
  15. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I've been wondering about that one too. Deserves some due diligence but seems like a genuine bargain if you ask me.

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It doesn't have the Manettino or F1-S system. So, it is still a late Gen 1 car. Still, I agree it is a good value for someone who wants that color combo and rare HGT2 package.

Meanwhile, here is an OTO in all-Nero and over $200K:
    Ferrari 612 2010 612 Scaglietti Oto Black on Black Loaded | eBay

17. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Is the F1-S system the upgraded, faster shifting F-1 system (similar to the 599)? I thought that was part of both the HGTS and HGT2 packages. How can you tell if the F-1 system is the upgraded version?

18. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It is somewhat complicated.

The early HGTS / HGTC versions were a little faster than the base F1-A system, due to reprogramming.

However, the F1-S system with Manittino should be equivalent to what is in the 599. I believe it debuted in 2007 in the limited edition Sessana and was then standard in the OTO cars.

19. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    That is an HGT2 not an HGTS, and it's a good car. I almost bought it when I found an OTO instead. Shocked that thing isn't sold yet. I feel like some of the aftermarket stuff may not have given the best first impression but it can easily be brought back to stock. I would have no hesitation about buying it and have recommended it to others.

20. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    actually i think the OTO gearbox is the same as the 599 HGTE

21. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    That is true- The OTO had the Superfast tranny 2 years before the 599 HGTE and for that short period was the fastest shifting F car.