Gated manual 599 GTO! | FerrariChat

Gated manual 599 GTO!

Discussion in '612/599' started by F456M, Sep 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi. Just wanted to let you know there is an ad in my area without pictures for a manual transmission 599 GTO... Black with red interior! Has all the extras too.. Just wanted to let you know if someone would be interested. It must be THE HOTTEST of all Modern GT Ferraris. Price is about 650.000 USD (converted from crowns).

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Who is the dealer or seller?

3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Maybe it's a manual gtb with a gto kit.

4. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I also guess so. There were no manual GTO's so far.

5. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    There are rumors that one was built, special ordered. I've seen details of it posted here before, and a fuzzy picture if my memory serves me well.

The car was Rosso.

6. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Assuming it's true, why anyone would want to place a manual shift on a 599 GTO and in the process blunt its performance and change its character is beyond me.

And before people pile in about the joys of a manual box I also own manual F cars.

7. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Nostalgia.

8. Jorge de Payns

Feb 20, 2015
    Madrid, Spain.
    Full Name:
    Jorge
  9. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    After watching a 6-speed 599 GTB go at auction for over $600,000 I highly doubt that (if this was a real 6-speed manual GTO) it would go for only $650,000 IMHO.

10. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
  11. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Gated GTO ? $650K for it ? Without verified photos (ie. not photo shopped) I call BS or at least this is an inaccurate advertisement. Alot of V12 F car advertisements reference an F1 style single clutch transmission as a "manual transmission". Whether for a 575, 612 or a 599 there are countless erroneously labeled advertisements that claim the F1 style semi-auto tranny is a "manual". Regardless of technical differences between a single clutch semi-auto F1 style tranny and a true gated manual, we all know what a gated tranny is and looks like. Furthermore, there has never been ANY written documentation (nor actual verified credible photos of same) that the factory ever produced a gated manual GTO. If there ever was a gated factory built US spec. GTO I'd think it would be a one-off special project and would be worth $3M+ without blinking an eye (considering what a US spec LaF will sell for). Maybe more to the right buyer.

12. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Agreed- When looking at cars online, a great portion of the time the F1 transmissions are labeled at manuals.

Without a pic- it's most likely a paddle shifter...

13. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Bumping.

Member TOOLFAN has posted before about a handful of manual GTOs made by the factory (or Zanasi). Does anyone have any hard evidence or photos to support this?

14. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #unicornofallunicorns

15. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    In all honesty, I think the GTO wouldn't be as much fun if it were gated. I love gated cars, but I just don't think it would be more fun to drive although I would love to see one. Just my .02

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Checking back at that ad in post no.8, the car is still available in Prague, the post was made last September and it looks like it hasn't sold since then. It's a standard 599 GTB not a GTO.

There's another 599 gated manual for sale in Europe on the same website now also, for a little more. (Not a GTO).

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm a big manual advocate.

GTO I'd have with flappy paddles.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #19 Bas, May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does it really matter at this point? If it was the latest and greatest I could see what you're saying, but the GTO is, relatively speaking, a low performance exotic by today's standards.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If such a car existed, it would be going well over $1M.

22. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    My comment wasn't bhp related (although I do find my ''relatively low performance'' GTO still monstrously fast). My view was based on the GTO's design brief and that it was not optimised by Ferrari to use a non gated box. Personally a sub-optimal variant might be tempting at 50% off list but paying a premium on a premium for a gated GTO - if it exists - is jumping the shark territory.

23. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Of course it matters. They made five hundred and ninety nine 599 GTO's for the world and only approx. 125 for US market. The engineers in Maranello, in conjunction with real World test drivers (including former and then current F1 drivers) determined that the maximum performance envelope would be derived from the F1 type gearbox. Whether the GTO tranny is directly derived from the 599XX or not there is no question that even in 2010 when the GTO was released (as a 2011 model) that 9 out of 10 "Supercars" (F car or not) employed a non-manual gearbox and that the GTO certainly held its own against the then best out there. Why does this matter ? Because the GTO, like it or not, is a very special car and should not be modified IMHO or you will destroy not just its financial value but the intended usage of the car. Candidly, I just don't see how you can enjoy the GTO lightning rise in engine speed with a manual tranny. Yes you'd have better "control" but the RPM's simply rise to fast to employ anything but what the car has. For that matter, I also think that the single clutch F1 is more desirable than the DCT for the GTO as it just fits its character better. A bit unrefined, raw and visceral works for me. As far as performance I take it that you aren't a current owner or former owner as you would never ever put down the performance of the GTO. Maybe the GTO was never the fastest in a straight line, although I wouldn't call an approximate/estimated 3.1 0-60, 10.9 1/4 at 132+ mph a slouch in 2010 when she was released. The GTO is STILL able to hold its own 6 years after its release against the vast majority of exotics out there. Just throw some curves in and it can and will lead the pack with a competent driver behind the wheel against all comers save a Veyron type competitor. FWIW my DD is a 2013 997.2 TTS Cab. and although the TTS is able to stay with or pull a 1/2 car length ahead to 120 or so after that the GTO starts to "breathe" and as they say its all over. The GTO was not meant for a stick tranny user nor was it meant to drag race. Candidly there are better cars out there for that. The GTO was meant for the best "drivers" out there who want extreme capabilities whether hammering on a racetrack or doing there local back road. Its also THE best sounding engine ever and I don't know what would happen to that soundtrack if the tranny were changed. My 2 cents.

24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Sorry guys, there were a misunderstanding. The owner said manual gearbox. That is correct but it is not a normal old style shifter. It is F1.... Sadly, but with the hp the 599 GTO has, it is probably better with the F1.

25. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I've head of this as well, but there has not been a pictures posted on f-chat. Hopefully it will surface at some point.