612 Flat Battery now a couple of issues | FerrariChat

612 Flat Battery now a couple of issues

Discussion in '612/599' started by devil boy, Sep 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    #1 devil boy, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Having not driven my 2009 612 for four days I went out to start it today and it had a completely flat battery. Obviously not had the trickle charger connected. Managed to start it using a booster but now have two issues.

1. There is a warning on the dash saying 'System not programmed'.

2. The right hand side air con vents are blowing hot.

I did a search on the dash warning and couldn't find anything and also in the user manual and no luck.

Any help much appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    I would suggest fully charging the battery then disconnecting it completely from the car. Wait 5 minutes then reconnect. You may well solve your problem. Effectively you're rebooting it.

3. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    If a battery discharges completely within 4 days it urgently needs replacing, cause its unable to keep sufficient charge.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Was your telematics box software updated by the dealer recently - perhaps at your last service?

5. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    OK it has now been sorted. I did the start up procedure of turning the key to position 2 for thirty seconds then switching it off for 3 seconds and then switching it on as normal. All warning messages have disappeared and the air con is running cold. Happy days!

Bdearmas3 likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Glad you are back up and running, however something is wrong if your battery dies in 4 days. Either you left something electrical on, the battery is weak and needs to be replaced, or you have some unusual parasitic drain.

7. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    I agree. I will investigate the battery. Thanks.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The battery shouldn't die in 4 days.

However, that said, I do get occasional glitchy error messages in my 612, which are always solved by turning the key off and back on. They only happen right after turning the key on-- never after it's been running.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    That's a Good point to know because my last 612 always plagued me with these error messages and I was consistently disconnecting the battery as described to effectively reset the car's electronics.

My current 612 hasn't hit me with any electronic complaints yet, but I'm definitely going to remember this procedure- Thanks for Good Advice!

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    As above, invest in a new battery. They should not discharge like that. Had something similar happen to me earlier and a new battery solved it.

12. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but time for a new battery. Any suggestions for a decent replacement. I am UK based so makes available in the UK please. Also what dimension battery is it ? Is it a type 096 ? Thanks in advance.

13. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    OK all sorted.

After a call to Ferrari a compatible Bosch part number is S5 013. The dimension code for the battery is 019.

I found that when removing the battery undo the battery hold down clamp and then swivel it out a bit before removing the cable clamp. The cables seem to have a fair bit of length to allow movement out. If you lift it a little bit to clear of the battery breather pipe it came out pretty easily.

Back to being a happy camper.

14. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
    Good advice. My battery was weak and I decided it needed replaced. I was going to do it myself till I saw how tightly it was packed. I had dealership replace it during the service. You have made it sound quite simple though.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look at national tyre service in your area- i got a platinum prestige plus, this is the heavy duty version for my 430 and it works fine. Not bad for about £75 if i remember right. Not sure if it fits yours but worth a look

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Many people here seem to assume the car's battery was at 100% at the start of the 4 days. Why would you assume that? If you drive mainly short distances, at a leisurely pace, make many stops or have additional electrical accessories attached, your battery may already have been in a marginal state of charge when you last parked it. There's also the possibility that the charging system is not working 100%. While the age of a battery is an indication to consider the correct way to assess a battery's state is to have it tested, not to assume the battery's damaged or not working. You can have a battery tested at the dealer who will use Ferrari's customized battery tester. If the dealer's too far to visit you can still test the battery at a fully-equipped battery store like an Interstate store but many Fcars have special battery connections that will confuse test readings and the battery must be fully disconnect before non-Ferrari testers can accurately assess the state of the battery. I don't know if that applies to the older 612 but you can always call the dealer to check.

Use the battery tender when the car is put away.