Tried a 612 OTO for the first time today | FerrariChat

Tried a 612 OTO for the first time today

Discussion in '612/599' started by GianiCakes, Sep 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I've been passively looking for a nice OTO for a little while now but today was the first time I drove one. It was a slightly unloved version in black (not my preferred colour) which I was never really interested in purchasing but agreed with the dealer I should try before we start a serious search. Unfortunately I didn't like it as much as I wanted to mainly because of the handling. The steering felt remote which I wasn't too surprised by but I was surprised by the amount of fore aft pitch. Combine that with the distance to the front wheels and an energetically taken corner felt like a 3 stage process of turn wheel, lateral weight shift followed by forward pitch. The gearshift also seemed very slow with a high rev upshift. I'm comparing it to my Scud which obviously isn't fair but they are from the same year so I thought the OTO would be quicker than this. It was however smoother than I was expecting at lower revs.
    This particular car does need some tlc so I have the feeling that the alignment wasn't optimal and perhaps even the shocks were not as they should be. Even so the car only had 25k kms on it and the experience was generally of a much older generation car than I was expecting.
    Could it be that this particular car was out of sorts or were my expectations of classic looks and a modern feel just unrealistic?

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Hmm... I have 2007 612 HGTC (non OTO) and a 2009 430 Scud, and the 612 does not feel slow - 612 wins hands down in sound comparison. It is however a big car with a long wheel base and that affects how it drives, not as direct and sports-car/go-cart like, like the Scud - for pure driving experience it is hard to beat the Scud or 360, for that matter. If I were you I would try drive a different 612 before ruling it out. I just drove mine this morning and love it :)

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ironically, I also took out my 2007 612 HGTS F1 out this morning. Have no experience with OTO. However, my Ferrari's acceleration is impressive. Upon entering Charlotte Beltway (70 mph speed limit), cars that were just coming up on me on the beltway at speed were well behind me by the time I was near the end of the merge lane at nearly 100 mph! I cannot remember ever having this kind of assured confidence in a sports car before.

Keep in mind that HGTS / HGTC models are somewhat more aggressive than base models and also feature an awesome sounding sport exhaust.

The dynamics of a front mid-engine rear-wheel drive (FMR) vs a traditional rear mid-engine rear-wheel drive (RMR) car can be quite different. My previous two Ferraris were RMR. For the track, I like RMR; but, on the open road, I really prefer the dynamics of an FMR for several reasons, including visibility, etc.

4. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    #4 GianiCakes, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Loved the noise which is much more linear than the Scud's artificial sounding binary exhaust valve. Downshifting was a particular pleasure. Acceleration also good apart from the nodding head effect of the upshifts.
    I want to like the 612 because if I'm lucky I can find one that looks like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    i wonder if the car you tested has the HGT2 pack fitted ?
    it does make quite a difference to the handling.

6. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Doesn't a OTO have that as standard?

7. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    No
    mine did not but i have had it retrofitted-definitely made a difference to the body roll.
    that picture you posted is gorgeous...would not have thought grigio medio would suit a 612 but it looks fantastic!

8. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Yes I was thinking the same thing- HGT2 on the OTO is Great to have and it would reflect on some of what you've encountered. Also- If the car you drove has been neglected, then any number of things could be going on with it.

Also- I've driven various Ferraris models of my own and those of friends, including the latest and greatest, and I find my OTO impressive! Yes as mentioned, the sound is Awesome, but I find it fast & smooth- befitting the car's image.

When I first got driving it, I remember putting my foot down on the freeway and telling myself- Geez, this car doesn't feel fast at all- but then I looked down at the speado reflecting 125mph- It didn't feel like triple digits whatsoever.

Bottom line for me- The car drives just as elegant as it looks

I agree with the gentleman above who recommended you try another before ruling it out.

There happen to be two very nice examples in Chicago and at Marshal Goldman being advertised right now

That said- You've convinced me to go take mine out for spin... :)

9. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Interesting on the HGT2 pack, need to do some further research on that.
    Grigio Medio looks fantastic and was a brave original choice that really paid off.
    That car sold under my nose yesterday and started the whole serious evaluation process. It looks so good I would have bought it even if it span off the road at every corner!

10. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Just to clarify, having re-read my original post, when I talk about speed relative to the Scud I'm referring to the gear shift. From memory the Scud is capable of a 60ms shift as opposed to 85ms for the OTO? Difference felt greater than that though.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 612 is definitely not go-kart like. However, I had mine out on the track this summer, and it's very capable-- you just have to drive it like the big, heavy GT car that it is.

12. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    That Grigio Medio looks Gorgeous- It really lends itself to the 612 well

Impressive ;)

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you can find a copy of the FCA mag covering the 2014 meet, came out a couple months after the meet so maybe August, my 612 had a two page centerfold on the track at summit point. I love they chose to show a 612 side loading some on the track as the centerfold for that part of the meet, and ironic as there's not a single shot of her in all the archived concourse photos.

Maybe because of the fake badges? :rolleyes: I think I've finally learned my lesson with that one. No more steenking fakes.

14. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would say, you will never get closer... :)

Fahrzeug Details - Eberlein Automobile GmbH

15. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Good spot! I had already seen it but as it is way up in Germany thought I would try one locally first. The dealer can assist with import if I go this route. Diamond stitching a plus although it has a few more miles.

16. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I've never seen a 612 in that color gray...looks fantastic!

17. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    So the dealer took the car home for the weekend and just confirmed that it should drive a lot better than it does and that the set up needs checking. Now I just need to find out what a good one feels like?

18. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    That color is Stunning

Good Luck

19. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I know, I used to think blue tour de France with iroko interior was the ultimate but now I'm not so sure. Even Grigio silverstone seems an inferior option now.

20. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    some very interesting OTO's coming out of the woodwork,alot of these cars will be pretty unique in terms of specs.

21. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    One thing I know is that if you stop and look at all the variations out there, there are so many interesting and Gorgeous ways to outfit a car. But when you get your own, you can only choose one-- The fun of it is that there's always something else to look at or discover

Most people would probably never think to consider a color like this one, but look how Pretty she is. I personally am surprised and impressed...

;)

22. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    comparing a 612 with other ferraris is pointless, 612 owners have several fcars.
    but compare it to bentleys or astons, u can see the advantage in spades.
    in fact no other manufacturer offer anything close.

23. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I like my gated 612, although it doesn't have any HGTS or HGTC packages and cannot be compared to my 599 in handling and acceleration it still has got its charm and benefits. I like the V12 torque, gated gearbox ( although thats a very rare find) and a solid feeling of a long GT car. By the way I also own a 456M GT - disregarding that one replaced another they feel like totally different cars - nothing in common.

24. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    456/612/599 nice stable!

25. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I've not tried one but can imagine that a MT 612 works very well, similar in concept to a modern day E type.