Eric Clapton's 612 OTO | FerrariChat

Eric Clapton's 612 OTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by TheCook, Oct 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #1 TheCook, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,
    I know I've posted this in the 612 picture thread but wanted to introduce myself here as I'm looking for pictures of Eric Clapton with the car. He bought it in November 2008 as a Grigio OTO but sent it back to the factory in 2010 to change it to the current spec. He mentions the car in an interview stating it was the one that he drove the most (although it has only 9000 miles on it) but I haven't been able to find a picture of him with it anywhere. Does anyone have a picture or link - I'm a big Eric Clapton fan and I'd love to have a picture of him and the car in the garage. I'm also going to attempt to contact him directly to see if he might oblige, being the new owner I might just get lucky :)
    Many thanks,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
  3. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Congrats to you as he has some pretty amazing taste! Love that SP12 EC he did. AMAZING!

4. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    You Brits love that two-tone look. Well...at least it's more tasteful than than the usual Saudi/Russian jobs.

5. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #6 TheCook, Nov 5, 2015
    Picked it up on Monday - man what a car! I realise that not everyone's a fan of the two tone Sessanta paint but c'mon - what's not to love!? :). What a car though - completely different experience to the 430 and a real joy to cover the miles in. Garage build is still under way so it's straight into storage for the winter unfortunately. As soon as the garage is complete and the lift installed I'll have both the 430 and 612 in there.

Mamich and cgt000 like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I love the 2-tone 612's! congrats!!!

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I do also.......that's really nice!

Congrats on your purchase....

8. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Yeah the the 612 looks so innocent,but it's a real beast....If you want :)
    Bought mine this summer and i love it.
    Congrats on your purchase!

9. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks all. Looking forward to next summer and hopefully a European trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Congrats. I almost bought this car a few years back when it had just 8K miles on the clock. The colour scheme is very tasteful and being owned by Eric, I'm sure it's very well maintained. The alloys are also unique to this 612.

However, I use my F cars as a daily driver. The wife and kid would result in the interior being full of food crumbs. I felt guilty buying a 'collectable' car like that and piling on the mileage and usage even though I like to keep it as pristine as possible.

11. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian

Thank you. Yes, putting excessive miles on it is a worry - it only has 9,300 on it now! My plan is to use my 430 most of the time and keep the 612 for special occasions. It's certainly going to get more use than it has had recently though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Nov 9, 2015
  13. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    She's an OTO delivered in November 2008. Clapton ordered her in Grigio originally and then asked Ferrari to redo her in Sessanta spec. This makes her pretty special as she has all the Sessanta features plus the later OTO upgrades - Superfast dual plate clutch, HGT2 handling pack, sports exhaust, electrochromatic roof etc. One of a kind as far as I know.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- The Sessantas had all those features. They were prototypes for the OTO. If she is that late, though, she is an OTO. Very pretty 612.

15. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Taz. Interestingly there was even a Sessanta badge in with the paperwork but that's where it will stay.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- What is her serial number (last 6 of VIN)?

joeacc likes this.
  17. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    The interior on Clapton's is clearly OTO, not Sessanta- Sessanta's had smaller diamonds in the seat pattern and a Sessanta specific center console

But the two tone paint and wheels can throw anyone off to thinking it's a Sessanta

18. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Yup, as in my original post, there is no confusion - this is a November 2008 OTO, not a Sessanta and I certainly have no interest in trying to pass it off as one. The fact that Clapton got Ferrari to fit the Sessanta wheels and apply the two-tone paint is just interesting - I don't know whether they would have done that if it wasn't for the close relationship that he has with them.

Taz the serial number is 163430.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Please- I meant no offense. Quite the opposite in fact

Not suggesting you're trying to pass it off as something it's not, just supporting your claims

20. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Cheers Moe - none taken. I was intrigued by the Sessanta badge in the paperwork though, at some point somebody thought about it :) Not sure if you can just order those from Ferrari (it is in an original box) or not.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- Just to back that up, the serial number fits in a late summer build, which would match nicely with a Nov 08 registration date. Way, way too late for a Sessanta. He spent quite a bit of money on the work he had done. Those Sessanta wheels cost a pretty penny by themselves. Nice to have cubic money and do whatever you want.

22. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Taz. So back to my original question - who the hell has a picture of Clapton and the car? :) Can't believe no-one snapped him getting in or out but I've scoured the net to no avail. I've also sent a enquiry via his official fan site but nothing as yet. I may just need to stalk him - only an hour or so from me ;)

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Whoever sold him the OTO may have a way to contact him. Worth a try.

24. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #25 MoeD, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    I thought I saw a pic of him in the car shown through the passenger side window on the net somewhere after reading this thread- but now I'm confused as to what & where I saw it...

With regard to those wheels- Someone I know had a Sessanta but it had the Challenge wheelset on the car and he spent 20k to put the correct wheels back on the car- So they are a pretty penny in fact. And I also know that Ferrari would likely not allow supply of them to any car that did not sport a Sessanta serial number.

So that Sessanta emblem and those wheels and paint job on the subject car of this thread points to a lot of effort spent to duplicate the Sessanta look. Or- I suppose if you're Clapton, they don't mind pleasing you!