Can't make the final decision!! | FerrariChat

Can't make the final decision!!

Discussion in '612/599' started by ANGELINO, Nov 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    #1 ANGELINO, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    I am trying to make a decision between 2010 5k 599 hgte with 3 owners and 2008 5k 599 gtb with one owner. 2010 is at $210k and 08 is at 170k. Both of them are blk/ blk, fully loaded with options. I don't want to end up with " I should have gotten the other one". I know the hgte is an upgrade but is it worth 40k? Please advise me which one would ne a better buy. Thanks

2. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm prob not qualified to answer as I don't own a 599 yet but will once I find the right one. Taking the point that the car is not for investment and both cars are equally clean, you really need to ask yourself how you will be using this car.... Track or driver. If driver I don't think the hgte will add that much more to the driving experience. I realize the under steer is way improved, but I think the wider front tires have a lot to do w that, the faster shift is better on paper but can a human really react to the 15 ms improvement... Not really since human reaction time is prob at best to 250 ms. Most people prob won't even extract 80% from the car. I think if you are tracking then from what I read, the hgte makes sense and prob worth 40 premium. Me personally I want a driver so I would get the 08, invest the 40 and hopefully I make 15-20% thereby even lowering my price of entry.
    Good luck and really there is no "right answer". I welcome other opinions as this will guide me when I find "the car"

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe this will help you make up your mind for the 2010:

1) She is two years newer.

2) The HGTE package was $30K and offered cosmetic, handling, and performance improvements.

Between the two, the difference in price is justifiable, and you can offer less than $210K and probably have it accepted. It is mid-November, hardly prime time for selling Ferraris.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. wrgray68

wrgray68 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 5, 2014
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Walker Gray
    I would think the 2010 HGTE would hold its value much better over time. Sounds like a much more desirable car.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would also advise on the 2010 car because when it becomes time to sell the newer cars usually find homes faster. I think you can save the money now but when it comes time to sell the 08 car you will find you are just in the mix with a lot of other cars and to stand out you'll have to lower the price even more. If there is something about either car that stands out to you - say color- and if you plan to keep the car for some time then go for the one that you like best.

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I suggest to buy the 08 car (one owner, sufficient performance anyway) and to spend the 40 grand saved thereby for something very enjoyable for your spouse ;).

7. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks guys!! Both of them are in impeccable conditions. One thing bothers me about the 2010 is the fact that it is a three owner car. Should that be a deterring factor?

8. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi Angelino

I'm with Bernhard (BJJ).
    I would take the 08 GTB also.

40.000 $ is much money.
    I also thought to get a HGTE, but for me the higher price was to much difference and with the standard 599 you will get so much car, you will not need the HGTE.

Daniel

9. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I recently went through this exact same process when I purchased my 599 a few months ago. I went with a 2010 with factory HGTE option for the same reasons others mentioned. Newer car, more desirable than non HGTE models. I wouldn't worry about 3 owners versus 1 as it won't add value when you go to sell. $40K difference seems reasonable, but I'm certain you could probably knock at least $10K off the purchase price. Can't go wrong with either car.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One other thing going for the 2010: it is relatively rare. Only 153 2010 599s were imported. I do not have numbers for the 08s, the 2010 numbers came from NHTSA, but there were probably 3 times that number of 08s imported.

11. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    #11 wolfturbo, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If resale value is a consideration, I would for sure go with the 2010. Short of a GTO (or a gated car), I think the HGTE is the only 599 that will hold value reasonably well over the long run.

And this is coming from the guy who just bought a 2007 599. Gratuitous pic attached. Pardon the minivan in the background!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009

Thank you for your opinion, but they would not take anything under 210k. Either I walk away from it or just get it. At this point it is either going to be 08 or 10. I want to decide it within 48hrs.

13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    2010 hgte. Just because:)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

14. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    I am leaning 90% towards 2010 hgte. I scheduled a test drive on Thursday and if my natural instinct tells me to go for it, I am bring my next babe home. It is most likely that I am getting 2010 over 2008 one. If I don't get the vibe on Thursday, then I am getting the 08.

15. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    It's hard to spend someone else's money, but I agree with all the HGTE reasoning above. I wouldn't even think twice about it. I keep watching 599's and I wouldn't do one unless it was an HGTE.

If you can afford the HGTE and the extra money won't clip your wings, then absolutely do it, because the extra will come back to you likely in whole on resale and likely even more if you hold the car long enough.

The cars are virtually the same, so someone may choose to keep that extra hunk of change, but I think the HGTE is worthwhile and will be more rewarding to experience and to own if you can choose to afford it ;)

16. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    HGTE baby! You won't regret it... Once you get her , delete the secondary cats and unplug the exhaust valves ...let those trumpets play !

17. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    I am 95% sold on hgte!!!!

18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll be the nay sayer. Save the $40k and get the '08. You won't miss a thing on the street in daily use. If the condition is apples to apples, mileage, condition, service history, get the '08.

19. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    I agreed with everything you said too. Particularly, because I have never taken any cars to the tracks and I am not intending on doing that either. Most likely, I would be driving it around the city on the weekends and be taking it on road trips occasionally. I am back to 85% leaning on 2010!!! I am so confused!!!

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For ~$18K, you can upgrade the 08 to an HGTE, but if you were going to do that, might as well get the 2010. Wheels alone are worth about $8K.

21. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I'm with Piper. I owned an 07 GTB from new, loved it. Smooth but when needed, brute. Best of both worlds. Went to a GTO in 2011. Just mega brute ;) But still have very fond memories of my GTB. Fab car. Add one owner, and cheaper, go GTB. Great choices either way. Cheers.

22. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

So which did you buy?

23. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Presumably both, the most simple solution to his problem ... :D

24. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    #24 ANGELINO, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    I just did it guys!!! I want to say thank you to all of you ferrarichatters who have contributed in this arduous decision making process. As lame as it might sound, it was a very tough decision to make. Should I save close to 50k and take '08 or should I chose '10 with hgte package? I am not a rich man who would think 50k is a pocket change. With 50k, I could get some hair planted on my bald spot, or help my son with law school tuition, or get those electrical blinds my wife always talk about. But i told my self "I am going to live once and I am going to do something to please myself and not worry about what 50k means in terms of money. Guys, l got the 2010 and I am so happy!!! Thanks guys!!

25. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Since the alternative was hair trainsplants and electric blinds, I definitely agree with your decision :D

Okay, there's the law school tuition thing, but who's counting.