Water pump life on your 612's? | FerrariChat

Water pump life on your 612's?

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I put a new water pump on my car when I did the rebuild. It was purchased from Ferrparts and was apparently an aftermarket pump from Germany.

After about 5K miles, it leaks right out the "weep" hole. Big pain as not a small job to swap out.

Question: what kind of life have you gotten out of your water pumps on your 612's? Same pumps as 550/575 I imagine. Yes, I know mine was aftermarket (wasn't aware of at time of purchase) but wondering if I should put another of the same in (Russ says first one he's had fail in selling 150 of them) or if I should rebuild my OEM pump.

- Jason

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Jason - sorry this happened to you.

Have not seen much on water pump failures.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Rebuilding the OEM pump is a pretty easy job. The seal is the same as several other cars but does require a special tool to install.

If you need help, send it here. I've done a few of them.

4. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    24k miles and 10 years, going strong...

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did you save your original pump? If so, rebuild parts are easy to find at Ricambi and you can just have it rebuilt. Luckily you do not have to rip the whole engine apart to change the water pump.

Is that the Capristo pump you have now?

6. mr928

mr928 Karting

May 21, 2008
    Anaheim CA
    Full Name:
    mark anderson
    Porsche claims that a small amount of weeping is expectable on the 928. Their reference was that if it hit the ground it was too much

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My 2008 has 16,400 miles on it and pump is fine so far. But don't jinx me!

8. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    OK, thanks guys.

I decided to rebuild my OEM pump. I got the OEM parts. New shaft & bearing assembly and new front seal.

I found a way to install the seal without the special tool. It looks like the ceramic seal survived the ordeal! I installed it today and filled the system and pressure tested it while turning the pump by hand. Nothing out the weep hole at 15 psi!

So, hopefully fine. So, I will reassemble the rest of the front and resort to prayer...

I have a replacement pump coming from Ferrparts for back-up, under warranty. Russ says they now source the pump from a German maker and it should come with the proper impeller (which was part of the issue to begin with that doomed my seal as I had to switch impellers). So, I should have a good back up too!

I am also in the process of installing the sport exhaust (OEM Ferrari propeller exhaust) on my car and all the Ferrari OEM vacuum controls, etc. Can't wait to see how it sounds!

Will post... Thanks!

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #9 2NA, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good Luck! Hopefully you made something just like the special tool. Those seals are fussy. I have a pressure test setup that I use.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    That's awesome! Do you have drawings for the seal insertion part and the pressure testing vessel? I'd love to get them made for my use!

Thanks and props!