599GTB vs 550M pics and thoughts | FerrariChat

599GTB vs 550M pics and thoughts

Discussion in '612/599' started by wolfturbo, Nov 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    #1 wolfturbo, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys,

Lots of people seem to be asking questions re the Pros & Cons of a 599 vs. 550. Thought I would chime in since I just acquired a 2007 599. BTW, my 599 is Rosso Monza in color and the 550 is Rosso Fiorano. I thought there would be more of a difference in color, but out in the sunlight they are almost identical. The Rosso Monza seems to have a tinge more yellow to it, almost like comparing a bordeaux to a cabernet, which is slightly more purple in color.

Anyhow, I won't go into the looks comparison as that has already been covered ad nauseum.

Re the driving experience, this is likely going to get me flamed out on this board, but here goes.....

Driving the 599 simply makes me realize how special the 550 is. Just my humble opinion, so please save the personal attacks! The 599 is slightly faster. However, my 550 has straights pipes and tubis so the difference in speed is less than I expected prior to adding the 599. The sound edge obviously goes to the 550, as it is just glorious at wide open throttle. The 599 is infinitely easier to drive and indeed so simple to drive (if you behave!) that it is actually my first Ferrari that I will have no qualms about letting my wife drive.

If I need to go to dinner, or drive to Palm Springs with wifeypoo, I'll take the 599 hands down. However, in terms of a sense of occasion or driving experience, the 550 seems way more special.

Usually when I add a new toy, it is my favorite - for a multitude of reasons - as I bask in the afterglow of the acquisition. I like the new 599, but the first thing I thought after driving them both back to back is just how utterly spectacular the 550 is.

Again, just my personal thoughts. No attacks please. Happy TG to all.

Wolf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on two spectacular V12 Ferraris!

Great thoughts. I completely understand where you are coming from. I suspect if you ran then head to head and really wrung them out you'd find the 599 is actually faster but these cars are really supposed to be how they make you feel.

3. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Here is a copy of my post in the 550 section ;).

I do love my 550. I like to take it to occasional trackdays also and let it fly. It is so "old school", in particular the steering is heavy (compared with modern cars, including the 599) and the throttle is still mechanical (you feel that, in particular in comparison with the 599). I find it "easy" to place the car into a slight four wheel drift, just before adhesion gets lost. The overall build quality seems to be better in some details.

But.

The 599 is not just a little bit faster. It is shattering. And I still have very much respect, although I have got "used" to it since 2 years now (and about 8,000 km). Even on dry road you will easily have wheelspin in 3rd, if you are not careful with your right foot in a bend. It needs (in my feeling) a lot more attention, feeling and skill to move this car really fast (near the limit), compared with the 550.

I would say that an amateur driver has less risk doing stupid things with a 550 in trackdays, than with a 599. Next year I will take the 599 to the track and presumably take considerable time very carefully testing whether the skills of the car are superior to my skills (I am afraid that is so ). OK, I have more experience with the 550. But I nevertheless feel that the 550 will be less "punishing", if one is a little bit overenthusiastic (all said with respect to trackdays, never in public traffic)

4. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What tires are on your 599? You will get a lot more ability to put the power down with the Michelin Pilot Supersports. Its quite remarkable.

5. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I am sure so. That might make me even more scared of the car, at least initially ;) :D.

6. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Congrats on the purchase.

Your 599 needs a secondary cat delete.

7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Actually I think you will find the 599 is even more enjoyable and predictable. Also the MPSS enhance ride comfort a little bit over small repeating road disturbances. I feel like that sounds like one of the old fashioned "miracle drug" cures, but its my experience.

Roupin is right about the secondary cat delete- if you want more sound and power, just put in straight pipes. the motor will adjust.

8. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Roupin,

Brilliant minds think alike...... I have been obsessing over straight pipes (secondary cat deletes) for the past few days. I love to tinker with my cars a little, so this mod is right in my wheelhouse.

A few questions:

1) Is there any droning or resonance? I will die if this car starts to resonate at constant throttle!!!

2) Is there any noticeable improvement in throttle response/power?

3) Do I go with Fabspeed or are there multiple suppliers?

Also, can I unplug the vacuum hose on the exhaust valve with a 2007 599? There seems to be some difference of opinion if this can be done on the early 599's. Mine is chassis # 150817.

Thanks to all for any sage wisdom you can share!

Wolf

9. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Hi Rob, you will love how the car will sound, especially since you aren't new to modified exhausts.

1) Zero drone. Absolutely zero. In any gear at any speed.

2) It's hard to put power down so it's hard to judge a power improvement, but the car feels a bit more "alive." Not sure if it's the enhanced soundtrack or actual gains. The gearshifts seem to feel quicker and more positive. I can't think of why or how but others have reported the exact same change as well.

3) A straight pipe is a straight pipe. No sound or special engineering other than the quality of the welds. I went with Fabspeed, but it's just personal preference. I believe Larini and Novitec offer their own versions as well, but aside from costing more I don't see a difference among them.

Regarding the vacuum hoses, you can definitely unplug them to keep the valves open. I did mine a few days after buying the car. I think it sounds great, but some owners do wish to have control over them: Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller

If you are local to Los Angeles send me a PM and you're welcome to see the car in person.

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I also have a 2007 599 with 2nd cat delete - Tubi Style (same build quality half the cost of Fabspeed) and Steve Bisel valve bypass controller ... not sure about the power increase but it is a lot louder!!

11. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Can't $#@!% with money!!!

Replace 'Money' with Tastes. Yours are impeccable~

Beautiful Stable and Extremely Classy~

12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My car feels faster and my mechanic says there is a definitely a hp gain. I forget the exact amount.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Great looking cars Rob. I think the 599 is an animal. It is on our list.

Robb

14. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Both shades of red are lovely. Both look great.

15. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Thanks for the kinds words guys. Believe it or not, they look so much nicer in my original pics (notwithstanding my terrible photography skills!!). When I shrink the pics down to upload, the colors really wash out - bummer!

OK, back on topic. I just bought a set of bypass pipes. It appears that these are a very simple install, correct? Even easier, as I have a 4 post lift in my garage. Any major do's or don'ts I should be aware of?

Thanks to all!

Wolf

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Beautiful cars.

Both will be classics.

Regardless, it just amazes me how much bigger modern Ferrari GT cars have become. That 599 just dwarfs the 550. I understand the new mid-front engine design means a longer bonnet, but still.

17. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    - 4 bolts to remove a brace directly under the secondary cats
    - 2 bolts to remove each cat (4 total)
    - Install bypass pipes, tighten clamps
    - Reinstall brace
    - Begin short test drive. Commence grinning. Develop into extended test drive
    - Fill up gas, call the wife and let her know you'll be late to dinner
    - Get home, forget about the now cold dinner, post excitement on FChat

Since you have a lift the install should take about 15-20 minutes. The extended test drive will last the rest of the day.

Enjoy.

18. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Stop with the detailed descriptions Roupin - you're getting me all horny!!!!

Now I have the damn waiting game until the pipes arrive. Oh well, in the interim I will be installing plexiglass side panels on my Ariel Atom. The best thing about being crazy enough to buy and drive an Ariel Atom, is that now my wife barely notices when a new Ferrari shows up!!

Happy TG to all!!!!

Wolf

19. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Hi,
    Compliments for your two great cars... Toys ....
    Did you listened the sound of my headers 6-1?
    You can search in youtube my name 'fabio Fiammenghi'
    Best regards
    Fabio

20. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Hi -- am looking at a 2007 599 that has had the HGTE equipment installed. Is there any downside/risk to this installation, which was done by a highly reputable firm in CA? Also, given the road conditions where I live (New England), will the HGTE ride be too harsh? Thanks for any and all thoughts. Frank

21. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Your wife is going to (silently) love this section ;)

22. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Are you sure? Have you considered that this might be a case of objectophilia? Then she might not be all too happy ...

;) ;) ;)

23. ablee2323

ablee2323 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015
    Beautiful. And each deliver a different and special experience. How do you choose which key to grab?

24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Frank, so long as everything was installed correctly you will find the ride is probably 15% worse than the normal GTB but the sportiness is about 25% better. The car always was a little bit crashy over the kind of chewed up roads we have in the Northeast. You might not believe this but the Michelin Pilot Supersport tires gave my car a noticeably better ride than the Pilot Sport 2 tires that were on it before.

25. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks for this. Yes, tires make a huge difference in ride comfort. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Frank