599 as a collectible? | FerrariChat

599 as a collectible?

Discussion in '612/599' started by gabyazar, Nov 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabyazar

gabyazar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2015
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Full Name:
    Gaby Azar
    I was wondering if the 599 will become a classic and hold its value, since I believe Ferrari is dropping all NA V12 except at the top end model...?

This Forum guessed right about the 550/575 values skyrocketing! Thanks,

2. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I would say yes. One indicator is that the prices increased about 20%+ here in Germany over the last two years. If such a recent model participates in the present "rush", then it must be considered by many as a value holding (at least) classic. I am happy that I bought mine two years ago already :D.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Of course it will become a classic, but typically cars depreciate before they hit that point where they rebound in price and start to climb. Usually it's the magic 25 year old number when things start to really cook in terms of value. That's been my own observation, but I've read other independent opinion confirming my own thoughts.

Right now all F cars are hott and high prices of older cars and high prices of new cars, have pushed even the not so old cars sandwiched in the middle to firm up their values.

So I don't think you can lose with a 599- It's an iconic model in terms of all its variations and will be even more desirable as time progresses. But to think prices will escalate seriously now is doubtful, the car isn't old enough yet.

For now, buy it to drive & enjoy knowing that if you sell someday before you're old, you likely won't get hurt.

4. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    In oz the prices have been pushed up a lot by the 100%+ increase in the asking price of the 550/575. It seems "cheaper" to just buy an f12 now:).

I don't see why these won't follow the 365, 275 etc to some degree.

It also depends on what happens at the top of the market of the classic ferraris which seems to create fomo across the rest of the range. I guess that is what is great about the Ferrari story is that it is across many decades and many different road cars and race cars that have an effect on the contemporary Ferrari story. You don't see this sort of thing with newer brands like Pagani or less successful overall brands that have been around for a while.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is there a new car built that isnt a collectible..... ?

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Depends on the definition. My 599 GTB was about 280,000.--€ new and the first owner lost 190,000.-- upon sale (corresponding to more than 6 € depriation per km ....).

"Real" collectors Ferraris should immediately fetch more than the list price, in contrast, I would believe.

7. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    599 developing into an investment grade asset is a foregone conclusion.

8. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    If you step in at the right juncture (as with most "mass"-exotics). Or better, have stepped in? ;).

Wherein, predictions are always difficult.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Like tulips in 1637

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Wait 25 years or so, and you'll find out. Given that Boxers have come roaring back, and Testarossas even seem to be coming back, it doesn't seem out of the question.

11. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Basically some of us may not be around or too old to care anymore, so our kids and grand-kids may reap the benefits of an upswing in values... In the meantime, keep driving them !

12. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    I still have those tulips and am waiting.....

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bernard- 365 GTS/4 Spiders lay around in dealerships unsold for up to 2 years after production stopped. Not all classics immediately go up in price. That is a recent development with purpose built special models.

14. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    A few weeks ago I got a 599 HGTE (2010 with 8700km, red, black interior) and did some research before jumping in the driver's seat.

My conclusion is that the HGTE is the most interesting one if you don't have an "unlimited" budget, it should hold better value and slowly when prices shoot up the first to rise.
    Having said that, the 599 is a Ferrari that has so much identity and character I am sure it will remain a Classic for the years to come

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Maybe it's time to cut your losses;)

The hgte will be special and command higher prices as it's the last year of the series and obviously the extras included.

16. gabyazar

gabyazar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2015
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Full Name:
    Gaby Azar
    Thank you all for your feedback! I was originally shopping for a 550M or 575M, but ended up (after 4 months of research & confusion) with a 2010 599 HGTE with 6,000 miles, Black/black w/yellow stitching, yellow calipers, etc. I do not have photos yet; this will be my first F car and will be shipped from back East ( I live in CA) next week...So I am really anxious to get this beautiful beast! ;-) I am planning to hold on to it for years, at least this is my plan for now...I am grateful to be able to afford one, and for my wife's blessings & support...I will post photos once received, hopefully before Xmas....Thanks again guys!

17. gabyazar

gabyazar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2015
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Full Name:
    Gaby Azar
    Btw, is it worth it to buy the factory extended warranty? it is being offered for $4,900 for one year, and can be extended year by year....Thanks!

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you've bought a '599 as a collectible' ie not to drive then there's no point in having the warranty

19. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Congratulations.

20. gabyazar

gabyazar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2015
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Full Name:
    Gaby Azar
    I wish my crystal ball can tell me if it will be a collectible/classic! ;-)
    It is not going to be my DD for sure, but I get your point; thanks,

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    why is every new and fairly recent car a collectible now....

22. fcars

fcars Karting

May 10, 2014
    So Cal
    CONGRATS!!! Can't wait to see the photos.

Also just realized that we live really close to each other. Let me know if you even want to meet up and take our V12 F cars out!

23. gabyazar

gabyazar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2015
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Full Name:
    Gaby Azar

Thank you fcars; that is cool and I will! take care,

24. fcars

fcars Karting

May 10, 2014
    So Cal