599 Becker Radio Newbie Question | FerrariChat

599 Becker Radio Newbie Question

Discussion in '612/599' started by FPFaeth, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Hi -- okay, embarrassing question. Getting the CD and iPod connector to work was a cinch. And getting the radio to turn on and even play one (and only one!) station was also a cinch. But then I got stuck -- I cannot figure out how to change stations, how to find the "status display" so I can locate the 'frequency' words on the display. "Frequency" will apparently allow me to select stations by twisting the right hand knob and then I can save those I want to keep. I have located the sub-menus and all, but cannot find 'frequency,' which is identified on page 62 of the manual. So all I have now is one station, and even that one is not always accessible on the screen.

Thanks for any and help with this. Should be simple, I know.

Regards,
    Frank

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't the left right buttons below the volume on the left do this ?

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I tried that and there was no change. The manual says they should. They work fine with the CD.

4. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #4 BJJ, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Hi Frank,

Trying to use this system is somewhat cumbersome. Do not ask me, how long it took me to get the mobile connected to the system. The manual was no help, since it needs to be "interpreted" differently from the wording, at least in this case.

So, do not give up, you will manage to be successful one day :D. I managed to get several stations stored in the memory, but do not recall how I did that :D.

But take care, when playing around for hours and hours, perhaps even with the door open, that you do not drain the battery too low .... :D.

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: Becker is in my eyes a cheep copy of former (and justified) glory ...

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks, Bernhard. You give me hope! To say the system is convoluted would be too kind. Also hard to read the screen in the daylight. Your point about how to interpret the words is a good one -- I did note that a few times that what they wrote was not indeed what was required. Onward and upward! (Has anyone replaced the radio with a modern substitute?) Regards, Frank

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Well, as soon as one has it going it is not as bad as suspected.

The mobile connection is automatically and works great. Taking a call can be done automatically as well, after a preset number of rings, so it is a real hands-free function. You understand a caller good, just as vice versa (assuming your car is not reving 5000+).

The navigation works well as well. Entering of an address is rather lengthy, but that ia all to complain. The navigation information is displayed in the instrument display as well and that makes it quite "modern". A substitute presumably will not have this functionality.

Cheers, Bernhard

7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Good points. Thanks. Will spend more time this coming weekend -- and have a drink by my side! All the best, Frank

8. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Bernhard -- everything is now working. Media/iPod, radio, and nav. Will set up Bluetooth this weekend -- saw how to do it as I was playing with the system earlier today. Getting everything working as you want takes patience and a willingness to play around. Regards, Frank

9. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Indeed :D

10. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Glad to know I am not alone!! I have been trying to program in stations on my 599 and have had no luck. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also is there a factory head unit that will get satellite?
    Any help would be terrific

11. LIW

LIW Rookie

May 13, 2014
    UK
  12. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thank you. Very helpful. Other question: How do I get the navigation directions to appear on the gauge cluster, next to the tach? My nav system works fine, but the directions only appear on the radio screen, which is quite small. Thanks. Frank

13. phulseberg@att.net

May 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    no one
    I finally got the Frequency +/- to display by HOLDING the On knob as opposed to pressing repeatedly as the manual states.

14. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    Don't feel bad if you can't program the radio. It is diabolical (yes, I think it was designed by beelzebub himself) I finally got 2 stations programmed & I am happy with that. I use my phone for NAV.

15. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    OK, I will admit that after a week of trying to program anything, I too ended up with two stations, no tone controls and finally called my audio guy for an appointment. One easy to set with 15 stations, amazing sound, iPod ready Alpine later, I was a happy man. Yes, I saved the Becker (rhymes with pecker, sorry Rob) for the next owner to play with. Call me what you like but life is just too short...

16. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Toddston, I have exactly one station programmed and am frustrated too. Please share details of the Alpine unit you had installed. PM me if you'd like, but I bet others want to know too. Thanks.

Bob

17. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Yes, please share the knowledge! Thanks.

18. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    With pleasure, Fellas. It is the Alpine CDE-HD 149BT unit easily installed (2.5 hours) incorporating the optional Bose Hi-Fi System that came with the car. Check it out at Alpine

19. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks! Frank

20. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks. That's the unit I thought it might be. I spoke with a high-end audio dealer in the Bay area who has installed several of these in 599's. I like the fact that it has Sirius sat radio capability. I'm going to see if I can find a reputable installer in my area. Nice to know you're happy with yours.

Bob

21. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    And great that satellite is built in. (BTW, has anybody figured out how to get the nav instructions to appear on their gauge cluster? I see brochure pictures and Euro cars with it, but can't get it to do so on my car. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.) Frank

22. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toddston View Post
    With pleasure, Fellas. It is the Alpine CDE-HD 149BT unit easily installed (2.5 hours) incorporating the optional Bose Hi-Fi System that came with the car. Check it out at Alpine

Found an installer I trust in my area (San Luis Obispo). He's installing the Alpine on Friday. Enough of that Becker!!

Bob

23. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    Good for you, Bob. That's a great move and I hope you'll be happy.
    A little reminder to the installer and if he has worked on 599s, he should know but be careful with that radio cover door. They are an absolute pain (and expensive) to repair.

24. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks, I'll make sure to mention that on Friday.

25. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    How did the install work out for you bob44?