F1 clutch 100% worn - but working beautifully | FerrariChat

F1 clutch 100% worn - but working beautifully

Discussion in '612/599' started by belfry, Jan 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    My car is in for its major service with cam belts. The SD3 machine is showing my clutch to be 100% worn, however, the very experienced Ferrari mechanic is telling me that it doesn't need changing yet as it is working smoothly and faultlessly.

He is suggesting that a better indicator of clutch life is the operation of the clutch and gear change rather than the SD3 read out. His recommendation that is that I change the clutch as soon as the gearbox starts to drop the car into neutral unexpectedly.

I am confused! And somewhat surprised that a Ferrari mechanic is turning away possible business!

2. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    The clutch readout is a "virtual" value and calculated from various operation parameters ("use-history"), but does not give direct information about the actual "real" clutch condition. It is a rough estimate only.

You might get a couple of thousands miles additionally until replacement is indeed necessary.

Stick to that guy, he presumably wants you as a customer, not just today, but still in ten years.

Cheers, Bernhard

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Fantastic mechanic. Congratulations.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

4. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    I am on the same boat as you ! Mine read 95% at my last service. Major coming up next summer. I probably will change it at that time for piece of mind -- getting stranded in a Ferrari is a "weird" experience for any of you all who like me have :)

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The 355F1 cars routinely went to about 125% and the 360 only to about 80%. The wear scale is a guess by the engineers before the cars ever turn a wheel. Nothing new.

6. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I guess I shouldnt have replaced my clutch on my quattroporte when it showed 95% ) But i heard a lot of scary stories about cars becoming a real estate in a traffic jammdue to clutch wear. Although when the dealer replaced it the clutch itself looked normally and only a flywheel showed true signs of wear.

7. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    It's apparent that the simulated clutch reading is not highly reliable. I was under the impression that it is possible to check actual wear % via visual inspection with a borescope?

Also, isn't there some adjustment available to extend the life of the f1 clutch?

Can anyone verify these 2 points?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, on pre-OTO 612s (same clutch as the 456-575) you can look at the T/O bearing guide pin and determine whether she needs replacing or not.

Not sure on the 599 with its twin disc clutch.

9. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    Thanks Taz. Is there any adjustment available to extend the life of a partially worn clutch?

10. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    An expert can set PIS regularly to optimize clutch life.

12. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    Thanks again Taz.
    Just curious - does the SD3 clutch wear % reading include any "real" direct measurement data (i.e. from a sensor on the clutch itself), or is it only based on an algorithm using speed, distance, gear-changes etc? And is there any accounting for PIS adjustments?

Likewise, for brake wear %?

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The wear reading is based on the at rest location of the clutch sensor from new compared to the at rest position now. No algorithm involved and PIS has no effect.

Incorrect set up at replacement time invalidates the wear reading. The clutch life scale in the computer was based on some guess work programmed into the software and is why different models wear out at different places on that scale.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There you have it. Adjusting the PIS may improve clutch action and life, but does not affect what the SD3 says.

15. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    6 months on from my 100% worn reading and everything's is working fine. A few thousand miles without a missed gear or error message.

I rang the dealer today as my 360 is in having a wheel bearing replaced. I asked about my clutch reading. The service manager said that I might get another 12-18 months from the clutch. I've been paranoid about clutch wear for ages, maybe I should've relaxed a little more!

16. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    After reading this thread months later, may be willing to push my clutch a little longer, car works great. Wonder if a dealer will do "manual" measurement of the clutch? What is the going rate for a clutch job on a 612 anyway these days ?

17. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    My 612 has 47,000 Km and is 13 years old, first clutch working perfect. SD3 reading at 32,000 km in 2012 was 68% left. In my eyes its a matter of how to use it...