My "New" 599 | FerrariChat

My "New" 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by bob44, Jan 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    #1 bob44, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been a Ferrari fan my whole life and finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 599. I've also been a "lurker" on Fchat with a few posts over the years. A year ago I was seriously considering a California T and I was there and posted pics on Fchat of the first one delivered to Ferrari of Newport Beach. But I wanted a 599 because it's the nearest relative to my favorite of all time, the Daytona. In the '80's I even had a Corvette made into a Daytona kit car, the closest I could afford to the real thing. Since I wasn't getting any younger, I decided to go for it now. My 599 is Rubino Micalizzato with Cuoio interior, and Daytona seats of course. A year ago the previous owner did the full HGTE upgrade. For 9 years old and 25000+ miles, it's in great condition.

I appreciate the experience and expertise of the members on this forum, and I look forward to the interchange. For now, I do have a couple of initial questions I could use help with, even after exhaustive searches of Fchat and Google:

* I have a new battery in the 599. The salesman still recommended hooking up the CTEK battery tender whenever it's not being driven. Is that prudent or overkill?

* Like a lot of others, I can't fathom the radio instructions, even after hours of attempting to follow them. After all these years, hasn't someone come out with straightforward, plain-English instructions or a flow chart of how to program it? All I really want to do for now is delete all the current presets and then manually add a few local ones (I do really miss Sat radio). Any help would be appreciated.

* And, like others, my iPod does not synch up with the head unit, it is unrecognized. One post I saw said to leave it connected for quite a while the first time and it may show up, so I'll try that the next time I'm out for a drive.

I'm excited to be a member of the fraternity. Thanks for listening.

Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Very elegant combo. Use her well. :)

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    #3 FPFaeth, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Hi Bob -- congratulations. Beautiful car. My 2007 rosso rubino 599 arrived almost 4 weeks ago. I wonder how many there are. A stunning color with many admirers. Mine has a beige interior with piping that matches the exterior. Think you interior is stunning -- cuoio always works. Took me about 2 weeks to fully digest the radio instructions -- have figured it all out now except for getting nav instructions on the gauge cluster, which a Becker dealer in NJ is going to inquire about with Becker in Germany. As for the iPod: 1) Ensure it is charged, otherwise it might not be recognized; 2) Once radio is turned on, press the Media button; 3) Turn right hand dial until you see iPod selection on the radio screen; 4) Press right hand button to activate the iPod; and 5) Allow radio unit to load iPod contents. Hope this helps. Frank

4. Sassicaia

Sassicaia Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Walter
    * I have a new battery in the 599. The salesman still recommended hooking up the CTEK battery tender whenever it's not being driven. Is that prudent or overkill?

Congratulations Bob!
    Great exterior and interior color combinations.
    Enjoy your new treasure in the best of health and happiness.

I have always connected my Maranello to CTEK whenever I am not driving it. I mean always! After I return from a drive, I allow the engine to cool off for a couple of hours and then reconnect the battery to CTEK.

The only times my car is not connected to CTEK is when I'm having it serviced.

Based on my personal experience, I believe (1) yes, it is prudent and (2) no, it is not overkill.

Walter

5. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Love the color of that car! Suits it very well.

6. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Beautiful. Wish I had seen it first.

7. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    What a beautiful car!! Stunning. Enjoy your new ride!!!!

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

stunning...elegant. great color combo!!!!

9. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    As for the Ctek, the 599 driver's manual says to use it if the car will not be driven for a week. I always place the 599 and my 550 on a Battery Tender unless I am fortunate to drive them daily.

10. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Congrats, beautiful car.

I have never used a battery tender in the 3 years+ I have owned my 599, and have left it undriven for as long as 3 weeks. No problems experienced.

As to the radio, I had the stock unit replaced when I purchased it. Waste of money for me, as I have not turned it on 3 times in 3+ years. I prefer to listen to the motor. YMMV.

One thing I did do (and am happy with it) was to replace the detroit horn with a traditional FCar horn. Love that unique sound.

Enjoy your drive!

11. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Don -- I agree fully with your reaction to the car's original horn. Love the horn on my 550 and assumed 599's would be the same. What did you replace it with? Can you please provide details? (Feel free to PM me.) And great to know about not really needing the Battery Tender/Ctek. Thanks, Frank

12. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Hi Frank, I have followed your purchase "adventure" on Fchat. Congratulations! Our cars are very similar. I tried your advice on the iPod (even charged it again tonight to be sure), but my issue is right from the get-go. I plug the iPod in (iPod Nano) and it isn't even recognized by the system - No Audio Media Available. If I insert a CD, it is instantly recognized and the tracks are listed. Maybe the iPod connector isn't working? Anyway, I'll try the trick of leaving it in for a long period of time and see what happens. Thanks for your response.

Bob

13. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks Walter. As is not uncommon, different people have different views on the battery tender (and everything else too). I think I'll split the difference and use it whenever the car is not driven for several days in a row. Since the battery is brand new, I'm thinking that will be sufficient. As it ages, I'll be more active in hooking it up. I appreciate the feedback.

Bob

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Very pretty 599. I am with Don, I never use the tender unless I was going to be gone over two weeks. So mine has not been on the tender for the last 5 years or so. 575s are a bit different from 599s, but not that different.

If you want to actually know how well your 599 does on battery drain, have an absorption test done and the milliamps it shows will give you an idea of how often she needs to be on the tender.

15. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    To all responders, thanks for your kind words. One more story I have to tell: Since the 599's first came out, I loved the look and for several years I downloaded many pictures of cars that were for sale. I had folders for each of the different colors. When I found this car, I went to my folder to see other pics I had of Rubino 599's. One car looked almost exactly like the car I was considering, except for different wheels. Same interior, etc. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I found a pic of the window sticker for the car in my files and was able to magnify it and see the VIN. Lo and behold, the pictures that I had on my computer for 6 years were of the SAME car I was considering buying. The difference was the wheels, which were upgraded to HGTE wheels last year. 6 years ago, the car had 5700 miles. I figured it had to be fate!

Bob

16. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Beautiful

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Beautiful - welcome to the club. You will certainly enjoy here, and being part of this community certainly makes it even more enjoyable.

I agree on the horn, I miss the "trumpets" - there are some very inexpensive kits you can buy, I have also considered it.

18. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth

Hi Bob -- too bad that process didn't work. You mention that the iPod is a Nano. It is possible that it will not work because the radio's software won't recognize a non-iPod Classic. I had that problem in my new Corvette Z06. I had to wait for the new software update for the latest Nano to be recognized by the system, and then it worked. While they are in NJ, you still might want to contact:

Tom Mitchell
    Becker Autosound LLC
    101 RT 46 W
    Saddle Brook NJ 07663
    201-773-0976

Tom is contacting Becker in Germany on my behalf to find out how to get the nav directions to appear on the gauge cluster. Great people. Do your nav directions appear on the dash or just on the radio screen?

Last point -- sorry it is out of order -- what kind of iPod connector are you using? Mine is the old fashioned large connector. My Nano uses the new style, more narrow style. Is it possible you have an aftermarket iPod connector?

Enjoy your stunning car.

Frank

19. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Clearly, this was karma. It was meant to be.

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Congratulations, stunning 599! You wont be sorry, the V12 is a very different experiences to the turbo V8 in the California T.

The way the V12 delivers its power is just epic, especially from 5500 rpm.

21. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Congrats - enjoy.

22. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Hey Frank, my Nano is 6th edition and it has the same long connector as the car, so I don't think it's that. I will contact Tom to see if he has any ideas. As for NAV, haven't gotten that far yet :)

Bob

23. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Look forward to hearing about your iPod solution!

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! The car is amazing. Definitely hook it up to the charger unless you are certain you will drive it the next day. These cars like to gobble electrons.

On the iPod, the iPod should do something to show its connected. This leads me to think the cable is somehow disconnected.

25. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Congrats! It's a beautiful spec.

My ipod nano works fine in my car. I turn on the radio first and then plug it in, instantly recognizes on the first try.