Peeling decals | FerrariChat

Peeling decals

Discussion in '612/599' started by caspian575, Jan 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    #1 caspian575, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wrote to Ferrari, Italy in 2010 about decal failures (peeling) on my then 2 year old 599. They'd actually failed after just a year, so my communication was more of a moan than a request for action. Ferrari contacted my dealer and the dealer said he'd replace them (the lot) and to bring my car is - the car was still under warranty. They replace them during the 2012 service, all except the VIN decal in the door shut. This was only available to order and involved me taking the car in for photographing!

Fair to say they failed again within 2 years - really poor quality!

Last year the annual government test engineer (UK MOT) told me that I should change the VIN decal because they could lead to a failure notice.

OK lets book the car in for photos and VIN decal change. The dealer tells me (at current US$ rate) $1,650.00 for the VIN decal alone!!

Anyone experienced peeling decals - especially the 599 VIN

What about the instruction decals, can you buy aftermarket as they are only (really) aesthetic

VIN I am stuck with $1.6K bills I suppose
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Jan 29, 2016
    Very common problem once Ferrari went from the metal data plates to the decals. Easy to replace on the standard decals, but very difficult on the US VIN and build date plate or the Euro specs VIN plate.

This is what they looked like on earlier cars, in this case a Superamerica from December 2005. Ferrari must have made the change in the 2006 timeframe. The earliest 599 data plate I have, September 2006, is already a decal.

Wondering if covering the decal with 3M paint film might protect it for a longer period of time. Or perhaps having someone make a metal data plate for her. Part numbers are on the data plates.

3. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Even Ferrari wants to save itself $0.75 per car... sad. Probably the Fiat accountants drove this brilliant idea!

4. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    All of mine are peeling too. Local Ferrari dealer provided new paint sticker for free. Worth trying Terry's idea before it is too late to save them.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #5 tazandjan, Jan 29, 2016
    On the UK MOT, show him where the actual VIN is stamped into the chassis or show him the chassis number plate in front of the windshield. That is all he needs. That decal is just a bureaucratic requirement. I know those guys are really picky (I lived in the UK for 6 years and had to get MOTs on my cars), but surely they cannot take a decal seriously. What they need to do is confirm the VIN and the chassis stamping or chassis/VIN plate is much more permanent and a much more reliable way to do that. Here is where the chassis number plate is located. Right now, I do not know where it is stamped on the chassis, but will soon.

6. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    Terry, You say the "part no is on the plate" where?

Ref the 3M stone guard film, tried it on the other decals but it too failed and peeled

UK MOT has a strange rule, "if the vehicle was produced with a specfic part then said part should still be fitted" MOT guy said, it could flag as a failure if the engineer followed the rule

What does a current model ferrari have?

Thanks

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bottom right of plate or decal, but that is for a blank one.

Current Ferraris are still decals, as far as I know.