Picked up poor condition 599 for a fixer-upper | FerrariChat

Picked up poor condition 599 for a fixer-upper

Discussion in '612/599' started by k3nny, Jan 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. k3nny

k3nny Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Hello!

I've recently picked up a weathered 599 in need of some refurbishment. The car seems mechanically sound and problem free but appearance-wise is quite sad to say the least. There are some problems though which I was hoping to get some advise on or to see if anyone has had the same. :)

1. Instrument cluster

The instrument cluster is only functioning partially. The left LCD display, Centre tachometer, right speedometer and gear position indicator is all working.

All warning lights, turn signal indicators and high beam, head light indicators are all not working either.

Basically just the 3 main functions being the LCD, tachometer and the speedometer.

Do I need to replace the entire thing?

2. The 2 buttons to the side of the instrument cluster.

The last guy seems to have had these buttons sprayed over in an attempt to fix them whilst sticky.. Can I buy a replacement somewhere?

3. GTO looks

I really like the looks of the GTO very very much. I don't really see much information online about this but has anyone attempted a GTO body part conversion? Just the front bumper and rear bumper of course with a custom exhaust to fit?

The car is a lovely car... Amazing power and very different. I've had in the past a Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8 V8 and some Porsche's. It may seem that a Ferrari drives on a different level.. Initial impressions are amazing!

Thanks again and a great big hello.

2. Bilal928S4

Bilal928S4 Karting

Jun 11, 2014
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Happy someone is rescuing her. For your instrument panel, here are the acknowledged experts on the digital instrument panels. If you can remove it, send it to Rod for repair after eliminating other causes like loose connections and bad grounds.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew
    [email protected]

Will White
    Francorchamps of America, Inc.

GTO body parts are available, but I will let others chime in on that.

To see if the buttons are available, go to Ricambi's online parts catalogs. They are the primary sponsor here and Daniel is as reliable and honest as they come.

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    As Taz said, send the cluster to Rod, very knowledgeable and fair pricing.

As for the knobs, I suggest you get new ones - can be bought on eBay used if you are lucky, or new on Ricambi.

Where are you located?

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    2 buttons to the right of the gauges and the faceplate can all be repaired by StickyNoMore.

6. k3nny

k3nny Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Thank you so much tazandjan!

Much appreciated. I intend for the car to be grounded for awhile so I will send Rod an email tomorrow.

The button to the side of the instrument cluster has been sprayed over with paint. So there's no words on it anymore. Figure I'd just get a new one as its not a sizable part. Can't expect it'll cost much. Will also catch ricambi first thing in the morning (night time here now).

360modena2003

My climate control switches seem to have lost all tactile feedback too... Lol!

The blower speed, you can move it from off to full speed with no tactile feedback or click or resistance of any kind.

Drivers side temperature control makes a crazy tight (like it'll break sound) Everytime it's used.. Passengers side seems somewhat normal.. Haha

Does this mean an entire replacement for the climate control unit is in order, does this happen often?

Thanks so much for the replies... Much much appreciated.

I recently got the car detailed so here are some shots the detailer took for me!

I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. :)

A great big thanks again!

7. k3nny

k3nny Rookie

Mar 7, 2013