599 navigation and Bose upgrade | FerrariChat

599 navigation and Bose upgrade

Discussion in '612/599' started by EP328, Feb 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Found a '09 599 that I am interested in. The build sheets states the car came with navigation, 6 disc CD changer and Bose HiFi upgrade. Previous owner wanted blue tooth capability so the original head unit was removed and replaced with an Alpine head unit.

- Does replacing the head unit mean navigation is gone? The sales person could not figure it out
    - Was there a screen for a map display for 599 navigation system.
    - Is the fidelity/ sound quality diminished as well?
    - What are the components associated with the Bose upgrade and how do I determine they are still there?
    - Assume the cd changer is in trunk?

2. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Navi in stock radio, no pull out screen, CD player in trunk, passenger side.

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    More seasoned owners than me might have better answers, but here is what I have learned since my 599 was delivered on January 2nd:

1) As for Navigation, yes, your nav is lost if you change units because it is integrated into the Becker unit.
    2) Nav screen on my car is on the radio. I know others can display it on their gauge cluster, which makes the most sense, but I've not been able to make that happen (yet).
    3) All Bose components are integrated so you won't see them. However, speaker on center dash says Bose. Don't get too excited about the sound. As for sound being diminished, I do not know.
    4) Yes, right side of trunk as the previous poster said.

Frank

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    @ Frank

Also I didn't manage to get the nav onto the display behind the steering wheel.
    But i have to say that i never tried this, because it is new for me since your post.
    If you find out how it works, please tell it to me.
    :)

@ EP328
    The Original system also has bluetooth.
    My Apple mobile phone was included in the system in a few minutes, so now i can phone with the audio system of the car.
    I believe that the speaker in the middle of the dashboard is only there, when the Bose system is installed.
    No middle speaker - no Bose.
    Who can confirm this ?

Daniel

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Daniel -- will do, should I be so lucky as to figure it out. Frank

6. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier

7. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks everyone for your input.

8. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Anyone successfully paired the oem bluetooth to an Iphone 6?

I tried a few times, it doesn't even find my phone. Gave up.

9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Yes, my 6s works

10. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    My about 10 years old Nokia (still in perfect condition) was immediately recognized. *loool*

After having found out, where NOT to follow the manual ..... :D.

11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I meant my iPhone 6, not 6s

Daniel

12. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    My i phone 6s works perfect with bluetooth but the i phone cable even with adaptor no in glove box i was told it is only for old i pod mine is a Hgte late 2009

13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I have an 612 with the BOSE system. I know that its a completely different system from the 599, but maybe there are some things that I can share and help you guys:

- hands-free system (phone only) works with all my iPhones - since 3GS until 6S. However, everytime I want to pair a new phone, I must erase the later one in the BOSE. If i don't do this, system won't even recognize that the new phone is there.

- iPod connector (for music only) inside glove box
    - it has the big connector for the old iPods. It works fine with old iPhones/ipods. However it doesn't charge the device...Never understood why.
    - I purchased an adaptor (pin to lightning) and now I can connect the iPhone 5 and 6. Its not able to charge the device, still.
    - there are some fellow chatters who purchased an device that allows wireless music streaming from the iPhone.

- 612 BOSE has navigation - as far as I know it can't display Navigation info on the dash TFT (?)

14. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    As for displaying nav instructions on the dash, someone posted this: I wasn't able to check but noticed in the manual: "the repetition function of the navigation data and pictograms on the TFT display of the instrument panel may be activated in all the positions of the master switch by calling up the "Display settings" menu and selecting "Navigation repetition" option and setting this function to "ON SPORT/ON ALL/OFF"

I never tried it because I had replaced my unit by that time. Good luck.

15. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    This works fine to put the navigation data on the TFT screen.

The Bluetooth connects to my iPhone 6 Plus without issue.

16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks for the instructions.

Daniel

17. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  18. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I have the iPod connection on my OTO but I am not seeing iPod as a selection option on the head unit. Can somebody please tell me where to find it? I'm trying to put on a bluetooth adaptor but so far the bluetooth does not activate (light does not come on) and I can't see where the iPod menu option is which may in turn activate the conection.
    Can anyone help?

19. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #19 Makuono, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    You should press the button with the "little disk" on the Bose fascia. If the iPod/iphone is connected well (should be charged/last software version/ unlocked), once you press the button the screen should show the library and the iPod/iphone options. Use the right knob to highlight the option you want and press the right knob to select it.

This is how I use my iPod nano/iphone 3GS/ iPhone 5S/ iPhone 6 on my 612.

addendum: system has already "frozen" a couple of times - you should turn off the ignition and start again

Let us know if it works.

20. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    It is definitely not appearing there although I haven't tried with an actual iPod yet. If it needs to be charged does that mean it is not a powered connection? If so that would explain why the bluetooth adaptor is not registering. I thought others had successfully connected such a device though?
    Thanks for your help Ricardo!

21. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    "If it needs to be charged does that mean it is not a powered connection?"

Good question. Even though some say it charges a limited number of Apple models, it never charged any of the models i use. And I tried a few already!

I don't use the bluetooth device, however some fellow chatters are using it satisfactorily.

On another note - speaking about pairing devices thru bluetooth, on my 612 every time I need to pair a new phone to the Bose I must erase the prior one. If not, it can't even search the new phone. (I don't know if it's related to your problem though).

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I can tell you when my wife plugs her charged iPod into the connection in the glove box, it automatically starts playing.

23. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    So i plugged in an iPod and it worked just fine; until the iPod ran out of juice that is. Seems like a significant design limitation even for 2008!
    I guess I can forget the bluetooth adaptor. Any updates from people installing the new unit?

24. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    Hi All ... MY 599 late 2009 HGTE ..... 10-2009
    Does not show any gps indication on dashboard as i remember ...
    But al radio info yes...
    I Pod conection is available but no chargingfo the I PHONE 6S
    Never tried an i pod but will do soon (cable is first i pod version)
    As i could comfirm is that the voice infos coming from radio/gps work perfectly directing you anywhere .... Very good !
    BOSE as all i also found my bose sound not very pleasant ....

25. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Swap it out for the Alpine receiver.