Clutch chatter and jerking | FerrariChat

Clutch chatter and jerking

Discussion in '612/599' started by 433rdmaw, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Any experience with clutch chatter and jerking while the drive train is not completely warmed? This problem was minor and has slowly developed into a major fault over a six month period. The 599 has not been driven more than about 100 miles during this time period. It is lightly exercised at least weekly.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jack- Take it to Brian Crall near Austin and let him look at it. He has all the tools and experience.

3. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Any help with a F430 gated six speed that keeps having shifting problems when the temperature hits around 205-210?

Adjustments fix the binding of 1-2 or 5-6 but you get your choice. It appears that what is good for one does creates a problem on the other end of the range. Cables have been replaced and Steve Castillo says that it is as good as it will get...

4. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Steve will be checking the 599 again this week, but if this is not solved, how do I find Brian Crall?

Thanks,

Jack

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    My vote is operator error, but feel good about paying someone to "fix your problem".

Carbon brakes work best when "warm/hot", great for race cars but not so good for a guy who drives 75 miles/month.

Love how guys pay $350K for a tamed down race car that they have not talent to operate.

Peace out!

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Clutch=clutch

My vote is that you haven't carefully read the OP's question.

8. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Had a bad day? Your response exceeds being rude. Re-read the question posted.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My vote is this is kind of an ******* response.

Not saying you are an *******, that would be a TOU violation. Just saying this is kind of a jerky thing to say.

D

10. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Jerk and judder is definitely not normal, neither in warm nor in cold condition.

I suggest to check the clutch and in particular to first try a PIS adjustment. This is the point of actuator action at which the clutch slips and can be calibrated with an appropriate tester. This cannot be done by simple diy means.

OT: issue carbon brakes: these do not show the distinct temperature dependency like in pure race applications, perhaps the user Meister never has driven a 599 with carbon brakes, not to speak in anger ;) :p

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Meister- For someone with 4000 posts, you do not seem to know much about Ferraris or politeness. Go away.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For operator error it sure is a common problem. I guess there are a lot of Ferrari drivers out there that just don't measure up.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I get just a little bit of that the first time I shift into second when it's cold. Second gear when cold (and sometimes warm) has been an issue throughout Ferrari's history.

14. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Not only in Ferraris history.
    I remember the Alfa Romeo from the 60/70 with gearbox at the engine (Giulia, Giulia GT, Berlina, Spider), from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd was not possible the first kilometers, and this very often.

Daniel

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those are syncro problems. He has a shifter problem. Very different situation and just fixable.

I still don't get why people live with it.

16. EZ2SPD

EZ2SPD Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    San Antonio, Tx
    Full Name:
    Brian Hutchinson
    Jack,

I think the car is best in the hands of Brian Crall. He is a genius of sorts, having him Now in the great state of Texas is a blessing!

-Brian Hutchinson

17. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Taz,

Thanks very much for the referral to Brian Crall. He did an excellent job with the 599 which is now as smooth as it can be.

My Gated 6 Spd 430 was also having a shifter problem that he correctly diagnosed as a problem from the original build at the factory. He had never seen such a problem, but he found it and the 430 is now the best shifting Ferrari V-8 that I have ever owned.

We appreciate knowledgeable folks such as yourself who make ownership of these cars possible with the joy that Mr. Ferrari meant for us to have.

Again Thanks very much,

Jack

18. EZ2SPD

EZ2SPD Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    San Antonio, Tx
    Full Name:
    Brian Hutchinson
    Thanks to the guys at Hill Country Ferrari and Brian Crall. Great group of guys to work with, honest, trustworthy, and on point. If your gated 360/430 has shifting issues see Brian in Austin Tx

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jack- I love a happy ending.

20. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    What was the final verdict?

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Thanks for the kind words Jack.

With any luck some day we will actually meet.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He is second owner of the 599. Original owner was not kind to the clutch. The flywheel was badly warped the clutch heavily worn and overheated.

The 430 has a reverse shift fork that rides on the 1st/2nd shifter shaft with a long bushing that is in contact with the shaft. It was binding with the result that any time 1st/2nd or rev was used it also tried to shift the other gear set causing the interlocking system to come into play to prevent multiple gear engagement. Net result was it bound up. We unloaded about half of the transmission contents with the trans still in the car to remove the shafts and forks so we could hone the bushing for a proper fit. The car shifted so well afterward it makes me wonder if a great many of them are suffering from a minor case of the same thing.